Recommitted Clayton Oliver [re-signed until 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

Tbh I’d also do Pick 7, future 1st and SPS for Oliver, with a 2nd or 3rd also coming back.

We won’t get him without adding at least one player, and Curnow/McKay/Weitering/Walsh would be off limits and guys like Dow and LOB wouldn’t have any value to Melbourne. They’d probably ask about Fisher too, who suits their needs to a tee.

If Carlton had to give Saad a call and say sorry mate we can’t take you anymore. And this was due to getting Oliver that’s a win. A huge win. Saad is a nice player but he’s recruitment would be expendable if Oliver was waking through the door.

Tom Morris did say on the live chat today that he is a little frustrated at the moment, as he wants to be playing finals as well.

That rules Carlton out then.

Same thing was said about Neale when he joined Brisbane. Players have some foresight into where teams are headed, and Oliver wouldn’t have been speaking to the club at all if he didn’t think we’d be playing finals as early as next year.

Same thing was said about Neale when he joined Brisbane. Players have some foresight into where teams are headed, and Oliver wouldn’t have been speaking to the club at all if he didn’t think we’d be playing finals as early as next year.
You're guessing that Oliver has spoken to Carlton. At this stage it's just a BS rumour started by Carlton fanboy Sam McClure, and the Carlton BF board have run with it. This isn't like B.Crouch and Gibbs actively seeking to join other clubs whilst still contracted. Oliver's manager has categorically denied any truth in the rumour.

You're guessing that Oliver has spoken to Carlton. At this stage it's just a BS rumour started by Carlton fanboy Sam McClure, and the Carlton BF board have run with it. This isn't like B.Crouch and Gibbs actively seeking to join other clubs whilst still contracted. Oliver's manager has categorically denied any truth in the rumour.

Not really, these things always start with emphatic denial from player managers and clubs. Everything is kept in house until it needs to be broadcast.

We will see how accurate the rumours are, but I’m backing the guys who’ve had good mail in the past, and there’s now been several on our board confirming similar information.

Yeah its not Sam McClure that our board got it's information from.

It's from people who have a history of providing information that came to be.

Havent read the thread any evidence Oliver actually wants out?
Supposedly media peeps are mentioning he's frustrated there and was kind of peeved at finishing 5th in the B&F. But the answer is no.

Not really, these things always start with emphatic denial from player managers and clubs. Everything is kept in house until it needs to be broadcast.

We will see how accurate the rumours are, but I’m backing the guys who’ve had good mail in the past, and there’s now been several on our board confirming similar information.
Ok, so I'll be keenly waiting for Cripps and Merrett to officially request trades, because these are also BS rumours that many have been spread recently.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

2 firsts AND a player ...... ?? :rolleyes:

Is Dodoro doing your negotiating this year ??
I'm not saying he's worth that, Oliver is worth 2 first's on face value, I'm saying it will take 2 firsts and a player for Melbourne to let him go. Given his age, achievements, contract combined with Melbourne's footy departments position to win now otherwise they lose their jobs they won't be moving him unless we get a piece back that adds to our side next year. If you want him your going to have give up something you probably don't want to give up but if Oliver can propel Carlton high up the ladder it'll probably be worth it. Pick 11, future first, and SPS/Fisher is what it'll take to get done. For Carlton's trade period could be:
In: Oliver, Saad, Williams
Out: 7, future first, SPS/Fisher

Makes you guys a serious threat next year.

So Oliver for Ben Brown + Ollie Wines, how are the Dees fans feeling about such an exchange?

Thank god you aren't doing the negotiating for us then.
you expect to land a contracted 23yo, all australian multiple BnF winner for unders?

do you follow trade week every year or are you still pretending its the 70s and we can just reel em in?

would you accept pick 7 + pick 12 for walsh or mckay under contract?

I'm not saying he's worth that, Oliver is worth 2 first's on face value, I'm saying it will take 2 firsts and a player for Melbourne to let him go. Given his age, achievements, contract combined with Melbourne's footy departments position to win now otherwise they lose their jobs they won't be moving him unless we get a piece back that adds to our side next year. If you want him your going to have give up something you probably don't want to give up but if Oliver can propel Carlton high up the ladder it'll probably be worth it. Pick 11, future first, and SPS/Fisher is what it'll take to get done. For Carlton's trade period could be:
In: Oliver, Saad, Williams
Out: 7, future first, SPS/Fisher

Makes you guys a serious threat next year.

I don't think our people would try and 'stiff you' ala Dodoro-style but we would pay a fair market rate.

Two firsts OR a first & a player will be plenty for a guy who wants to leave your club.

I don't think our people would try and 'stiff you' ala Dodoro-style but we would pay a fair market rate.

Two firsts OR a first & a player will be plenty for a guy who wants to leave your club.
lmao we got 2x 1st rounders for Bryce Gibbs - a 29yo 1x BnF winner who was under contract.

you think oliver is worth the same?

Tim Kelly is of similar ability and 4 years older and cost 3x first rounders.

prepare to be disappointed.

lmao we got 2x 1st rounders for Bryce Gibbs - a 29yo 1x BnF winner who was under contract.

I agree with you on the 2 firsts plus a player like sps evaluation but gibbs was essentially a 1st round pick and that second 1st round pick was us upgrading our very low second rounder to that 1st Adelaide gave us. He wasn't really two firsts

you expect to land a contracted 23yo, all australian multiple BnF winner for unders?

do you follow trade week every year or are you still pretending its the 70s and we can just reel em in?

would you accept pick 7 + pick 12 for walsh or mckay under contract?

Multiple B&F's ............. try 2.

AA - try 1.

Shiel went for two firsts so there's your benchmark. Dangerfield, who has won everything bar a premiership medal, went for #9, #28 & Dean Gore with #50 coming back the other way.

And 'no', I wouldn't accept anything for those two because they will never be on the market.

AA - try 1.
2 = multiple, are you a nuff? is cripps not a mulltiple AA player then? He's 22 years old, he's won 2 BnF's out of 4 years, is that not a pretty good resume?

Yes he's an all australian, including making the squad this year. At the young age of 23, he has 10 more years of potential AA's coming up. Do you undersell every opposition player this much?

Shiel went for two firsts so there's your benchmark. Dangerfield, who has won everything bar a premiership medal, went for #9, #28 & Dean Gore with #50 coming back the other way.
Shiel was 4 years older whom GWS encouraged to leave due to salary cap. He was also GWS 4th/5th best midfielder. He is not the same benchmark as Oliver.

Dude Dangerfield was a RFA, Adelaide agreed to match Geelongs offer under Dangerfield and Geelongs blessing so Adelaide could get somewhat compensated. Hardly the same situation.

Oliver is contracted and Melbourne want to keep him, what part don't you get?

And 'no', I wouldn't accept anything for those two because they will never be on the market.
What if they requested a trade? What would you expect in return? Ah geez, walsh wants out, our 2nd best midfielder and best young player, i guess pick 7ish and pick 12 would do. ******* spare me.

Kelly went for 3 first round picks did he ??

#14 was the only first used, there was a second in there plus a swap of picks in the 30's & 50's as well. Scotty Palmer strikes again.

Do not use the Gibbs trade as concrete evidence either, there is only one Justin Reid and he was putty in SOS's hands.

AA - try 1.

So in other words chunkylover was correct. Hes an AA with multiple BnF wins?

Oliver is a 23yo elite midfielder who is under contract. Hes not potential hes already there. You're talking about trying to bring somebody in who becomes your best player.

Think about loosing Sam Walsh once he's actually achieved something at a whole of competition level or Cripps pre-injury.

Its 2 x firsts and a player, and MFC would still want to be sure we have other players from other clubs lined up to on trade the picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back