Recommitted Clayton Oliver [re-signed until 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

The improvement, like on any list, doesn't come from your top 4 or 5 it comes from your bottom bottom 4 or 5.

We improve if Weid, Petty, Rivers, Jackson and Kozi take next step and if Harmes, Brayshaw and TMac (if he stays) recapture there form.

So Weiderman will improve Melbourne, but Harry McKay and a returning Curnow (both from the same draft as Weiderman) won't improve Cartlon?

So Weiderman will improve Melbourne, but Harry McKay and a returning Curnow (both from the same draft as Weiderman) won't improve Cartlon?
Who said they wouldn't?

Its taken a while, but McKay looks to be coming good and Curnow fingers crossed can string some games together.

All of those players you mentioned are elite, but can you see any of them playing better than they did in 2020? They may replicate it but not improve, so how does Melbourne get better?

Goodwin is poor, they have poor kicking, they don't have their first pick, by the time Jackson is good he will just replace Gawn. They have incredibly poor depth.

i think the above is relevant as it may explain the rumours that Oliver wants to leave

You’re absolutely right. No team in the AFL will improve as much the blues. In fact, you should be favourites from round 1 and may as well buy your GF tickets now. How did you not win this year with your superior depth and coaching?

We don’t have our first round pick, we may as well give up on next year, dammit! Geelong will be undefeated next year surely, with their 3 first round picks.

You’re absolutely right. No team in the AFL will improve as much the blues. In fact, you should be favourites from round 1 and may as well buy your GF tickets now. How did you not win this year with your superior depth and coaching?

We don’t have our first round pick, we may as well give up on next year, dammit! Geelong will be undefeated next year surely, with their 3 first round picks.

Great counter points

Harry McKay will be at North next year, which doesn't improve Carlton.

PS: I have it on good authority from someone ITK that North are throwing big bucks at McKay. And this person who is ITK is always correct.

PS: I have it on good authority from someone ITK that North are throwing big bucks at McKay. And this person who is ITK is always correct.
Hahahahaha

So McKay would be leaving for money and not because he hates the club?

So McKay would be leaving for money and not because he hates the club?

Wants to play with his brother and also has a good relationship with fellow Gippsland product Leigh Brown, who has been tapped on the shoulder to coach North next year. ;)

No need for the dick measuring contests, both teams currently are developing reasonably. If it happens Carlton needs to overpay (2 firsts and a player like cunners) as he is contracted, if it doesn't there is always next year.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No need for the dick measuring contests, both teams currently are developing reasonably. If it happens Carlton needs to overpay (2 firsts and a player like cunners) as he is contracted, if it doesn't there is always next year.

Again that trade doesn’t help Melbourne in the short term which is what we would want if we trade out an elite talent under 25. One of McKay/Curnow and 7 would be what we’d ask because draft picks are relatively useless.

Again that trade doesn’t help Melbourne in the short term which is what we would want if we trade out an elite talent under 25. One of McKay/Curnow and 7 would be what we’d ask because draft picks are relatively useless.
I wouldn't even do McKay alone for Oliver. So if draft picks don't cut it I don't see how this deal can happen

That trade would have zero chance of happening. You'd find most Carlton people would have a hard time doing a straight swap with either of those players regardless of understanding we have to pay overs. This trade may just be too tough as SPS or Fisher may be the only other mid tiers we'd consider. Although both are valued extremely highly and extremely popular figures at the club.

Unless there’s overs I’d be surprised if Melbourne move on a contracted Oliver. We aren’t just going to say ‘oh sorry Clayton, we didn’t realise you weren’t happy. You just tell us where you want to go, and we’ll take unders to make sure you’re happy’.
Next year if he’s legit unhappy then a different story. Be hard to ask for overs.

I wouldn't even do McKay alone for Oliver. So if draft picks don't cut it I don't see how this deal can happen

That trade would have zero chance of happening. You'd find most Carlton people would have a hard time doing a straight swap with either of those players regardless of understanding we have to pay overs. This trade may just be too tough as SPS or Fisher may be the only other mid tiers we'd consider. Although both are valued extremely highly and extremely popular figures at the club.

Thats the point....you'd have to give an extraordinary deal to pry Oliver out.

Thats the point....you'd have to give an extraordinary deal to pry Oliver out.
And not one person from our board has said he is coming. And this brings me back to my point that it is a RUMOUR that he has asked to be traded NOT that the trade is going to happen.

Sounds like there was truth to Oliver being unhappy, but he never put in a trade request. Sam Edmund

Max Gawn has said on 360 that Oliver isn’t going anywhere, but joked that he didn’t want to be forgotten about with Trac travelling as well as he was.

Have I missed something with McKay? When did he become Tom Lynch?

i think the point is in 5 years time he could be Tom lynch.

whislt far from the finished article, he has all the attributes of an elite key forward and is trending upwards year on year.

carlton are not letting him leave for anything unless their hands are forced. By the same token, I doubt dees are letting Oliver leave for anything (unless their hands are forced) which makes this trade very very unlikely this year!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back