Recommitted Clayton Oliver [re-signed until 2030]

Remove this Banner Ad

There is absolutely no way Melbourne should swap Oliver for Merrett lol...

Despite his obvious flaws, Oliver is still a top 3 inside mid at clearances/contested possessions, whereas Merrett isn't even a top 15 midfielder in the comp.
I'm not saying they should or shouldn't because clearly you keep someone like Oliver. But this is only in a situation where Oliver and Merrett both want out. Remember, Melbourne's age demographic should very much see them challenging now and Merrett very much fills a need for their list.

Melbourne will be fine on the inside without Oliver as they still have the likes of Petrecca, Viney, Brayshaw and Harmes. His value to each club depends on needs. Teams like GWS, Geelong, Brisbane, Port and Bulldogs don't really need Oliver as much as Merrett because they already have a good stock of inside mids. For teams like Essendon, St Kilda, Hawthorn and Sydney, Oliver is a much bigger need than Merrett.

I would take Merret over Oliver.

Oliver may be better at finding the ball, but the guy can't kick to save himself. I also have doubts about his ability to work in a system, as he just seems to run and chase the ball like its under 10s.

This is probably also why my list management career never took off.

Oliver may be better at finding the ball, but the guy can't kick to save himself. I also have doubts about his ability to work in a system, as he just seems to run and chase the ball like its under 10s.

Whaaaaaaaaaat

I'd saying this as much coaching/gameplan as it is Oliver not being able to adhere to a system. From all report's Clayton's ridiculously coachable and can adapt his game pretty comfortably, but his game doesn't have a lot of nuance because he's so good at what he does and it mostly works so there hasn't been any real push to modify what he does.

I just wonder what his current issues at Melbourne are? Is he frustrated with the direction the club is going, the coaching, players or something else? It's not as though Melbourne are contending, but they aren't a bad team. I don't think their current squad is destined for big things, and Goodwin can't really coach, but it seems a bit unusual he's frustrated.

Oliver doesn't need to kick, but he does need to handball more. and if Melbourne had better outside mids to release to he wouldnt need to.

Oliver is a top 3 player of his kind. Or unless you're saying players like Cripps are also ineffective because of their poor kicking skills

What if we trade our picks and agree to do their draft picks for them? :D

Your recent first round draft picks in the past decade, Tim Kelly aside, have been hot garbage. Stephen Wells is as much to blame as Chris Scott for Geelong's constant finals failures in recent years.

You guys are in deep doo doo once Dangerfield, Selwood and Hawkins retire.

Your recent first round draft picks in the past decade, Tim Kelly aside, have been hot garbage. Stephen Wells is as much to blame as Chris Scott for Geelong's constant finals failures in recent years.

You guys are in deep doo doo once Dangerfield, Selwood and Hawkins retire.

No that's rubbish. People have been saying this about us since 2011 and they are always wrong.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No that's rubbish. People have been saying this about us since 2011 and they are always wrong.

Your average age last night vs Port was the oldest in VFL/AFL history, which I think backs my statement up. Didn't Wells waste 1st round picks on the likes of Smedts and Darcy Lang (which sadly my club was silly enough to pick up)

Cockatoo has been very unlucky with injuries, but I stand by my comment about Wells and poor drafting over the past decade.

I'd saying this as much coaching/gameplan as it is Oliver not being able to adhere to a system. From all report's Clayton's ridiculously coachable and can adapt his game pretty comfortably, but his game doesn't have a lot of nuance because he's so good at what he does and it mostly works so there hasn't been any real push to modify what he does.

I just wonder what his current issues at Melbourne are? Is he frustrated with the direction the club is going, the coaching, players or something else? It's not as though Melbourne are contending, but they aren't a bad team. I don't think their current squad is destined for big things, and Goodwin can't really coach, but it seems a bit unusual he's frustrated.
There are no issues that is what makes this all so laughable

McClure said he looked unhappy at the b&f presentation. Probably because we had just been eliminated from making the finals

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

There are no issues that is what makes this all so laughable

McClure said he looked unhappy at the b&f presentation. Probably because we had just been eliminated from making the finals

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

It’s more than that according to a couple of ITK’s on our board.

Seems every man and their dog is wanting to join at the moment, and old Clarry is jumping on the bandwagon.

Interesting to see if anything plays out.

Your average age last night vs Port was the oldest in VFL/AFL history, which I think backs my statement up. Didn't Wells waste 1st round picks on the likes of Smedts and Darcy Lang (which sadly my club was silly enough to pick up)

Cockatoo has been very unlucky with injuries, but I stand by my comment about Wells and poor drafting over the past decade.

Fair crack you have about 10 top 5 draft picks in your team and can't even make the eight.

Been hearing a lot of noise around Clayton Oliver bringing him to Carlton still have a feeling Cripps has something up his sleeve. Things are heating up.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back