Recommitted Clayton Oliver [re-signed until 2030]

Ok, get it now - just really poorly executed.

If there was just one Carlton supporter who believed it and it helped them sleep last night, then it was all worthwhile. Please don't refer to me as as a hero though, I'm just doing God's work.

Lampers

Premiership Player
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
What are the ITKs saying. Not one word from the Oliver camp or Carlton camp over the trade period.

There is still tim...

I am a complete non ITK.

But I suspect Oliver is a bit disgruntled over something (no surprise, in a normal work place 10% of a team are usually a bit disgruntled in good times, imagine a team of high ego footy players).

There would’ve been some light testing of waters by Oliver’s manager in preparation for his contract negotiations in 2021.

Carlton would’ve worked out that either it was never going to happen given what else they had going on, or realised they were being used as a tool by Oliver’s manager, and it fizzled out quick.

I bet things like this happen 10s if not 100s of times a year and never even gets to a rumour and opinion site like this, let alone media.

The thing that throws doubt on this is the media would’ve loved to chuck this about if there was any serious legs as it’s a good headline. They were willing to engage in will he/won’t he for relative nobodies like Lonie, Hind, Neal-Bullen etc. they would’ve rather filled up content and airwaves speculating on Oliver to Carlton if it had any legs.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
There is still tim...

I am a complete non ITK.

But I suspect Oliver is a bit disgruntled over something (no surprise, in a normal work place 10% of a team are usually a bit disgruntled in good times, imagine a team of high ego footy players).

There would’ve been some light testing of waters by Oliver’s manager in preparation for his contract negotiations in 2021.

Carlton would’ve worked out that either it was never going to happen given what else they had going on, or realised they were being used as a tool by Oliver’s manager, and it fizzled out quick.

I bet things like this happen 10s if not 100s of times a year and never even gets to a rumour and opinion site like this, let alone media.

The thing that throws doubt on this is the media would’ve loved to chuck this about if there was any serious legs as it’s a good headline. They were willing to engage in will he/won’t he for relative nobodies like Lonie, Hind, Neal-Bullen etc. they would’ve rather filled up content and airwaves speculating on Oliver to Carlton if it had any legs.
Agree. I heard different things about him being disgruntled. And I don’t doubt it. But it wasn’t necessarily at the wanting out stage. Also from what you here clubs have come for him the last few years.

You’d think if he definitely wanted out. He would have tried this year. But I guess Carlton too busy giving up their top pick for a back flanker.

That pick was way too low.

I reckon any trade for Oliver this year would have needed to involve a top 3 pick (amongst other things)

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
That pick was way too low.

I reckon any trade for Oliver this year would have needed to involve a top 3 pick (amongst other things)
Yeah given he’s contracted we would’ve been asking pick 8 and a player minimum. With the player being someone like McKay. But I doubt there were even any discussions TBH. There was absolutely zero talk from anyone publicly that Oliver was a chance to leave. And I’m talking club or player manager etc.
if he wants out next year it’ll be different as he and opposition clubs will have a bit of a day in things.

Lampers

Premiership Player
May 27, 2004
Eastside
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Melbourne
I wouldn’t be surprised if Clarry signs on for 2 more years. Then he’ll be at free agency. A lot of players doing that these days.

I wouldn’t be surprised either. And if Melbourne are still floating around 6-10 on the ladder you couldn’t blame him for jumping to a genuine contender at free agency.

I wouldn’t be surprised either. And if Melbourne are still floating around 6-10 on the ladder you couldn’t blame him for jumping to a genuine contender at free agency.

Yeah, a "genuine contender". Not Carlton.

Feb 6, 2016
AFL Club
Carlton
Didn’t pay attention to this thread at all during the year

but what was the reason some fans thought he was gettable this year and wanting out?

Word was in the hub Cripps had been chatting to Oliver about coming over and a supposed rift between him and Viney was an influence in his decision.

Thats all there was to it but some supporters decided to run with it. Didnt help that every so often someone would post something vague like "Oliver not off the table". Was never going to amount to anything imo but it'll be a reoccurring one with us I think in the same vein as the Pavlich rumours.

dusty1234!

2017 2019 2020
Jan 14, 2020
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Manchester United
Jeremy Cameron to become a Demon.
Oliver shipped to Tigerland.
Picks to GWS.

Riewoldt and Cotch to retire.