Clayton Oliver vs Christian Petracca - who is the better player?

Who is the better player?

• Clayton Oliver

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Christian Petracca

Votes: 9 56.3%

• Total voters

King Kunta

Team Captain
Jun 30, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
So, there’s two parts to this question:

Firstly, who is the better player right now and why?

And second, who do you think will be considered the better of the two players once their careers have ended?

Clayton Oliver

Games: 124

Goals: 40

Accolades:

• 2 x All Australian (2018, 2021)
  • 2021 AFLCA MVP
  • 2 x Club Best and Fairest (2017, 2019)
  • 2021 Premiership player (I know this is largely irrelevant in this discussion, but I couldn’t help myself)
  • 3rd in 2021 Brownlow Medal (85 career votes)
2021 statistics (averages):

• 31.6 disposals
  • 17.4 contested possessions
  • 14.3 kicks
  • 7.4 clearances
  • 421.7 metres gained
  • 7.2 score involvements
  • 0.4 goals

Christian Petracca

Games: 127

Goals: 123

Accolades:

• 2 x All Australian (2020, 2021)
  • 2021 Norm Smith Medal
  • 2020 Club Best and Fairest
  • 2021 Premiership player
  • 3rd in 2020 Brownlow Medal (48 career votes)
2021 statistics (averages):

• 29.2 disposals
  • 14.0 contested possessions
  • 16.4 kicks
  • 6.3 clearances
  • 538.8 metres gained
  • 8.3 score involvements
  • 1.2 goals

Clearly they’re both unbelievable midfielders with differing strengths and skillsets and I expect there’ll be some compelling cases made for each player. Ultimately, the best part of this exercise is knowing that we’re lucky enough to have both playing for our club.

1632701098436.png

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
Oliver's become better than I thought, but let's be honest he ain't gonna dribble them from the boundary and slam them home from 55 off one step.
Tracs gonna rest forward and kick 6-7 one day soon aswell. Oliver's a star, Trac can be whatever he wants

If I'm picking a player to get my team to the finals, Oliver.

If I'm picking a player to win my team a final, Petracca.

Premierships require both.

markm106

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 29, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
I’ve gone Petracca. His best is better and he can do a lot more in terms of impacting the scoreboard. But in saying that Oliver could easily have more best and fairest awards in the end. Lucky to have both.

Toff

Draftee
Sep 7, 2011
AFL Club
Melbourne
Clayton Oliver has been better and more consistent since game 1
Petracca does things not many can ever do, he is still climbing his hill of potential
My pick is Oliver, just!

netslave

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 6, 2017
AFL Club
Melbourne
Petracca in the long run, if he can tidy up his goal kicking, he could be the best player in the competition.
Oliver is a fantastic player right now but I worry about his shoulders long term.

Petracca in the long run, if he can tidy up his goal kicking, he could be the best player in the competition.
Oliver is a fantastic player right now but I worry about his shoulders long term.
Trac just had 39 and 2 in a Grand Final to win the Norm Smith against the only other contender for best in the comp.

There’s no argument for mine right now. He’s the man.

But * I love that angry ugly ranga

slackboy72

All Australian
Aug 16, 2020
AFL Club
Melbourne
Petracca's goal kicking edges it but we are truly blessed to see these two playing together in a team that is firing on all cylinders.

King Kunta

Team Captain
Jun 30, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I’ve gone Petracca. His best is better and he can do a lot more in terms of impacting the scoreboard. But in saying that Oliver could easily have more best and fairest awards in the end. Lucky to have both.
Agree on both points. Petracca's best football is the best in competition - perhaps rivalled only by Dustin Martin in peak form.

I can see Oliver finishing with more individual accolades due to sheer consistency. He just doesn't play quiet games. Every chance he adds another BnF this year (though I do think it'll be a close count).

With the confidence they'll take from Saturday night, I can see them both going to another level and becoming the clear two best players in the competition in 2022.

TheBoss

Club Legend
Oct 28, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Oliver for me. A bit more consistent. Has really started to use his pace and kicking to take the game on this year. Also more team oriented than he has been for previous years.

King Kunta

Team Captain
Jun 30, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
North Smith or BnF in a Flag year?

Reckon Clarry brings home the BnF by a decent margin, so that's the discussion.

I can't pick.

I can't wait to see how the BnF plays out. I think internally, the consistent dominance of our defence is highly valued and that could see someone like Lever poll really, really well. Still probably tipping Oliver but won't be surprised if it's close.

I can't wait to see how the BnF plays out. I think internally, the consistent dominance of our defence is highly valued and that could see someone like Lever poll really, really well. Still probably tipping Oliver but won't be surprised if it's close.

Reckon Lever, May will be top 5/6 for sure - Brayshaw sneaky top 5.

Back