Clayton Oliver vs Darcy Parish - Who will finish their career better?

Who will finish their career as the better player?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Oliver by the Flemington straight

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

In the past couple of drafts I think the best two kids are Oliver and McGrath. Those two will make a better comparison in the future than Oliver vs Parish. I don't see Parish ever reaching levels Oliver does. That isn't a slight on Parish either, he may end up being a very good player in his own right. But Clayton Oliver is just a special player. I suspect McGrath will be as well. They don't come around often.

Parish leading the votes :drunk:.
I suspect this has something to do with the 'unprecedented' thread because anyone in his right mind isn't picking Parish over Oliver on what we've seen.
I think Parish is a ripper but Oliver is on another level.
ah no... I'd say it's got a lot more to do with when the poll was created and finished actually... Look more closely, it closed on January 28, 2017.

You know, back when Parish had just carried a VFL-standard midfield on his back in his debut year and Oliver was a promising but clearly a bit porky inside midfielder - and well before the unprecedented meme was ever a thing.

I wouldn't worry yourself too much about it - I think it's clearly obvious that if you did the poll now the result would be 90% Oliver, and rightfully so. As you said, no slight on Parish at all, he's a great kid, but Oliver is in AA contention in his second year. Whilst I won't use the "U" word, he has had a remarkable season and is already pushing elite status.

ah no... I'd say it's got a lot more to do with when the poll was created and finished actually... Look more closely, it closed on January 28, 2017.

You know, back when Parish had just carried a VFL-standard midfield on his back in his debut year and Oliver was a promising but clearly a bit porky inside midfielder - and well before the unprecedented meme was ever a thing.

I wouldn't worry yourself too much about it - I think it's clearly obvious that if you did the poll now the result would be 90% Oliver, and rightfully so. As you said, no slight on Parish at all, he's a great kid, but Oliver is in AA contention in his second year. Whilst I won't use the "U" word, he has had a remarkable season and is already pushing elite status.
Aaaaah didn't look at when it closed.
Who closed it and why the f*** did they?
Maybe it needs to be re-opened as I don't see the relevance in opening and then closing a poll to include 1 season of football (debut year :drunk:) when asking who is going to finish their career higher.
Pointless. As can be evidenced by this year where Oliver has gone past Parish at a rate of knots!

Oliver by the Flemington straight

Ridiculous.

The fact that Oliver has thus far well outperformed Parish is irrelevant. Darce has a far higher ceiling and if not for the fact that he's had to adapt to the changing Essendon midfield, would already be past him.

See Melbourne fans? This is how stupid you sound when you try claim Hogan will be better than Daniher 'just because'.

Ridiculous.

The fact that Oliver has thus far well outperformed Parish is irrelevant. Darce has a far higher ceiling and if not for the fact that he's had to adapt to the changing Essendon midfield, would already be past him.

See Melbourne fans? This is how stupid you sound when you try claim Hogan will be better than Daniher 'just because'.
You say some extraordinarily puerile things.

Oliver is top 10 in the competition for every metric used to measure the worth of an inside mid, including being second in the competition for contested possessions (behind only Dangerfield). What he's doing as a second year 33 game player, and a teen for 3/4's of the season, is extraordinary.

He's also 6th in the league in the coaches votes. Yet you think Parish has a "much higher ceiling". Nothing you say should be taken seriously.

Btw, Oliver is a superb kick and has express pace for an inside mid. He has the whole package. And a "higher ceiling".

AFLCA LEADERBOARD
104 Dustin Martin (Rich)
99 Patrick Dangerfield (Geel)
69 Tom Mitchell (Haw)
69 Rory Sloane (Adel)
67 Zach Merrett (Ess)
66 Clayton Oliver (Melb)
66 Dayne Zorko (BL)
65 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
65 Josh Kelly (GWS)
61 Gary Ablett (GC)
61 Joel Selwood (Geel)

You say some extraordinarily puerile things.

Oliver is top 10 in the competition for every metric used to measure the worth of an inside mid, including being second in the competition for contested possessions (behind only Dangerfield). What he's doing as a second year 33 game player, and a teen for 3/4's of the season, is extraordinary.

He's also 6th in the league in the coaches votes. Yet you think Parish has a "much higher ceiling". Nothing you say should be taken seriously.

Btw, Oliver is a superb kick and has express pace for an inside mid. He has the whole package. And a "higher ceiling".

AFLCA LEADERBOARD
104 Dustin Martin (Rich)
99 Patrick Dangerfield (Geel)
69 Tom Mitchell (Haw)
69 Rory Sloane (Adel)
67 Zach Merrett (Ess)
66 Clayton Oliver (Melb)
66 Dayne Zorko (BL)
65 Marcus Bontempelli (WB)
65 Josh Kelly (GWS)
61 Gary Ablett (GC)
61 Joel Selwood (Geel)
you just got played ;)

Ridiculous.

I legit wrote up the biggest rant pointing out your double standards before I realised :$

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Oliver looks more likely atm, just hope he hasn't peaked to early
How many 20 year old inside mids with pace and agility peak after 33 games and 1.5 preseasons ? It's nonsensical to think he won't get better and far fitter. Lots lots lots better.

That said, let's say he had peaked, which he hasn't, he's still the only player in the entire AFL who's top 10 in disposals, contested possessions, stoppages, clearances, centre clearances, and tackles in 2017 (Dangerfield would also be if he didn't miss that one game through suspension).

By year's end he'll have had more disposals, contested possessions, and tackles than any other Melbourne player in VFL/AFL history in a single season. And playing 3/4s of the year as a teen.

Are you telling me you wouldn't take that ?

Last edited:
How many 20 year old inside mids with pace and agility peak after 33 games and 1.5 preseasons ? It's nonsensical to think he won't get better and far fitter. Lots lots lots better.

That said, let's say he had peaked, which he hasn't, he's still the only player in the entire AFL who's top 10 in disposals, contested possessions, stoppages, clearances, centre clearances, and tackles in 2017 (Dangerfield would also be if he didn't miss that one game through suspension).

By year's end he'll have had more disposals, contested possessions, and tackles than any other Melbourne player in VFL/AFL history. And playing 3/4s of the year as a teen.

You telling me you wouldn't take that ?

No doubt I would take that

Like I said hope this isn't the best we will see

Oliver is a super young player and is a fair way ahead of Parish right now and I expect him to be a top 20 player in the comp or better for most of his career. That said its only their second season and long term predictions can go awry (certainly there have been many, many midfielders that have come good years into their career, some of which are absolute superstars). I can see a lot of improvement for Parish next year with more midfield time, primarily because he's not particularly suited to a forward flank.

The way I can see both players trying to improve their game next year:
Oliver - trying to get more impact from his possessions and perhaps do some more outside stuff and round out his game. Adding goal kicking would be ideal as well. Sometimes these things take time though so wouldn't be surprised if it takes him a few years to get this all down. Watch out if Oliver starts to break the lines more rather than just winning it and immediately dishing it off.
Parish - Moving full time into the midfield which will allow him to get more of the ball and work on his contested possessions plus he's naturally more of a pure midfield type. He's a fairly balanced player between contested and uncontested so really the main challenge for him is getting more of the ball and using it better. I like that he's a quick decision maker but sometimes he has a tendency to bomb the ball a bit too quickly.

Ridiculous.

Everyone has different opinions, right now Oliver is the better player by a mile, and I would say that he will end up being the better player in a few years time. What makes you think Parish will be better? (not having a dig, just curious)

Oliver is already close to a top 25 player in the competition, which as a second year player is...dare I say it?

Parish will be a damn fine midfielder though.

Oliver is already close to a top 25 player in the competition, which as a second year player is...dare I say it?

Parish will be a damn fine midfielder though.

Top 25 player in the competition, no not yet, but will be.
Both will be extremely good, both are quite different players...
pound for pound currently I'd take Oliver. (that's not a knock on Parish btw, its a tough comparison.)

I would have have had Parish infront by a nose at the end of last season.

It's not even close now, Oliver is a genuine gun already, amazing hands in tight and much better
Size and strength.

Back