Clayton Oliver vs Jackson Macrae

Who is the better player?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I love Macrae he is a star but Oliver is something else. His burst from stoppages was not something I saw from him in his early days. Not far from being best player in the comp.

Last edited:
Excellent for you then, there have been many saying the other way around.
And they were looking foolish in April, more so in August and now truely embaressing

Sent from my SM-G981B using Tapatalk

Quite the chip on your shoulder, eh?
He's the sort of person that thinks his opinion holds more weight because the team he supports did something. He had absolutely nothing to do with said team doing anything but he's right because reasons.

He and those of his ilk are the cancer of the internet. Ignore them.

As Rocket Eade said on the radio this morning, Petracca, Bontempelli and Oliver are ''match winners'', but Macrae isn't. More-so he'll damage you with a thousand cuts. He's a rung or two below the others.

As Rocket Eade said on the radio this morning, Petracca, Bontempelli and Oliver are ''match winners'', but Macrae isn't. More-so he'll damage you with a thousand cuts. He's a rung or two below the others.
Nope, that's rubbish. We've won plenty of games this year primarily on the back of Macrae's dominance and class by foot.

I know you Melbourne supporters really can't stand the thought of anyone suggesting an opposition player could be better than one of your own players, but sometimes reality hurts. I'm sure a club in need of a powerful, high-energy inside midfielder would take Oliver, but clubs in need of a classier, more well-rounded playmaker would take Macrae.

Nope, that's rubbish. We've won plenty of games this year primarily on the back of Macrae's dominance and class by foot.

I know you Melbourne supporters really can't stand the thought of anyone suggesting an opposition player could be better than one of your own players, but sometimes reality hurts. I'm sure a club in need of a powerful, high-energy inside midfielder would take Oliver, but clubs in need of a classier, more well-rounded playmaker would take Macrae.
I'm quoting your old coach.

But clearly Oliver is more dynamic, more explosive, faster, stronger, a better ground-ball and loose-ball player. He's just had the most contested possessions in history. He's a better clearance player too. It's not up for debate as to who's the better player.

So? Does that mean everyone should blindly accept his opinions as facts?
Should we blindly trust Mark Neeld too?

But clearly Oliver is more dynamic, more explosive, faster, stronger, a better ground-ball and loose-ball player. He's just had the most contested possessions in history. He's a better clearance player too. It's not up for debate as to who's the better player.
Nope.

As for everything else, you could make the same case for Oliver compared to guys like Scott Pendlebury, Simon Black, Michael Voss, James Hird, Adam Goodes, Jimmy Bartel, Sam Mitchell, Shaun Burgoyne, etc. You could also make the same case for Oliver Wines against those aforementioned players. Does that mean Oliver is better than all those guys? No.

This is just another example of Melbourne supporters refusing to accept anyone can be better than their players.

This is just another example of Melbourne supporters refusing to accept anyone can be better than their players.
I'm more than happy to accept there are better players than Oliver, but its a list of one who happens to a) play for the Western Bulldogs and b) most definitely isn't called Jack Macrae.

I'm more than happy to accept there are better players than Oliver, but its a list of one who happens to a) play for the Western Bulldogs and b) most definitely isn't called Jack Macrae.
Nope. Macrae is clearly a superior player to Oliver in some facets of the game, and this is further backed up through statistics. There are valid grounds to suggest Macrae is the better player.

Nope. Macrae is clearly a superior player to Oliver in some facets of the game, and this is further backed up through statistics. There are valid grounds to suggest Macrae is the better player.
You can comfort yourself with Macrae averaging a couple more disposals and effective disposals than Oliver if you like, its to be expected given the ways they respectively play, but there's not many neutrals who could watch both players and genuinely think Macrae is better than Oliver.

Macrae is a great player. Oliver is better.

You can comfort yourself with Macrae averaging a couple more disposals and effective disposals than Oliver if you like, its to be expected given the ways they respectively play, but there's not many neutrals who could watch both players and genuinely think Macrae is better than Oliver.
So? Sicne when are neutrals the arbiter of football knowledge?

Macrae is a great player. Oliver is better.
Nope.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They're different players. The more apt comparison would have been Clayton Oliver vs Tom Liberatore, as previously mentioned. But strictly in terms of who is the better player, I think it's hard to go past Oliver now.

Well said, sums it up perfectly

You've replied ''nope'' to my assertion that Oliver is a better ground-ball and loose-ball get player.

I believe Oliver holds the record for loose-ball gets (will try and find).

And can you explain why Oliver was no.1 in the AFL for ground-ball gets ?

Ground ball gets:
Clayton Oliver - 221| 1st in league

Stats as at round 20.

Back