Opinion Clean Slate ..... Who do you keep?

Remove this Banner Ad

From our list, I'd look at moving on from Lynch, Mayne, Cal Brown, Greenwood, Josh Thomas, Madgen and Cox. Would also entertain retiring Howe (painful to see him continue to reinjure himself), and would maybe trade Sier, Ruscoe (for literally anything) and Hoskin-Elliott for the right package. That's 10+ players who all could be in the firing line. Obviously not all would go, that kind of turnover is preposterous. But Hopefully some do - preferably those on the more swollen contracts.

A few factors need to be considered here ...

(1) we’ve got a bunch of players who either need to be promoted off the rookie list or delisted:

- Keane
- Tohill
- Noble
- Wilson

(2) We are unlikely to be holding any live draft picks before the fifth round.

(3) We already have two vacant list spots

All of that sort of points to us not making many changes in the coming off-season, unless we’re able to attract a stack of free agents, which will be difficult to do given our finals prospects in the foreseeable future.

Alexander the Great as coach..

Can change his game plan at a whim. When confronted with 100s of 1000s of Persians on the battlefield at Guagamela.. with only 40 thou Greeks.. he was smart enough to know.. not to fight against em head on.. so he used his cavalry to spread the Persian army and break through infantry lines.. going straight for the Great king Darius himself.. the Persians couldn't fight without Darius's command.. Darius combuster bricked his jocks and fled when he saw Alexander approaching him.. and the battle was over.

Moral of the story: Get a new coach that plays the game with a sense of dare surprise and freedom. A risk taker. Tenacious. Unshakeable. Chameleon like. Intelligent. All the qualities that make a coach great re.

Bucephalus to be number 1 assistant.

No more karagiozithes.

Bucephalus to be number 1 assistant.

No more karagiozithes.

Where does Hephaestion fit within our rejigged coaching panel?

I enjoy the quote attributed to the Cynics, long after Alexander's death: the great man was only ever defeated once, and that was by Hephaestion's thighs.

Re: Mayne, for all the stick he’s copping on here, he’s getting games and he’s far from being our worst player on game day. Players like that don’t get delisted, especially on a list full of youngsters.
He's earning more than he's worth, which was our modus operandi for last season. If Mayne tries to demand anything remotely the ~$500k he's on then he goes. He can stay for $200k or so.

But the whole premise of the OP is that I get absolute power. Not relevant whether or not he would get delisted

He's earning more than he's worth, which was our modus operandi for last season. If Mayne tries to demand anything remotely the ~$500k he's on then he goes. He can stay for $200k or so.

But the whole premise of the OP is that I get absolute power. Not relevant whether or not he would get delisted

You seem to recognise that you would go a bit mad with absolute power. I appreciate this level of self-insight.

Keep:
Adams. Moore. Daicos (both of them ). Maynard. Crisp. Pendles. Sidebottom. Poulter. Elliot. Grundy. Checkers. JDG. Quaynor.
Every body else?... take what you can get.

If I were the dictator of this club, I will be rational and reserve my judgement until after the season. However, first move is removing players with a poor attitude, regardless of how good they are such as De Goey & Sier for picks to match on Daicos. We are rebuilding and I want people who actually try in the team. Then the following season, I would be looking at culling the 23+blokes who won't make it (C.Brown, Cox, WHE, Thomas, Mayne, Greenwood, Madgen, Roughead, Tohill, Wilson, Lynch would all be getting looked at but they will remain until the end of 2022 barring the next point. See if you could get any bidders for these players, albeit would be unlikely)

Players I would be looking at would be (Only if the trade value is a 4th round pick or lower). Ideally, If we can land one from each position for cheap, we can afford to de-list players with less upside

Inside Mids
- W.Brodie
- R.West
- L.Dunstan (probably outside the age profile)

Key Forwards
- J.Riccardi
- S.Weideman

Small Forwards
- J.Lonie
- J.Cameron (WCE)

Others
- S.Hayes or B.Williams (to replace Max Lynch as our back up ruck)

Last edited:
If I were the dictator of this club, I will be rational and reserve my judgement until after the season. However, first move is removing players with a poor attitude, regardless of how good they are such as De Goey & Sier for picks to match on Daicos. We are rebuilding and I want people who actually try in the team. Then the following season, I would be looking at culling the 23+blokes who won't make it (C.Brown, Cox, WHE, Thomas, Mayne, Greenwood, Madgen, Roughead, Tohill, Wilson, Lynch would all be getting looked at but they will remain until the end of 2022 barring the next point. See if you could get any bidders for these players, albeit would be unlikely)

Players I would be looking at would be (Only if the trade value is a 4th round pick or lower). Ideally, If we can land one from each position for cheap, we can afford to de-list players with less upside

Inside Mids
- W.Brodie
- R.West
- L.Dunstan (probably outside the age profile)

Key Forwards
- J.Riccardi
- S.Weideman

Small Forwards
- J.Lonie
- J.Cameron (WCE)

Others
- S.Hayes or B.Williams (to replace Max Lynch as our back up ruck)

Alexander the Great as coach..

Can change his game plan at a whim. When confronted with 100s of 1000s of Persians on the battlefield at Guagamela.. with only 40 thou Greeks.. he was smart enough to know.. not to fight against em head on.. so he used his cavalry to spread the Persian army and break through infantry lines.. going straight for the Great king Darius himself.. the Persians couldn't fight without Darius's command.. Darius combuster bricked his jocks and fled when he saw Alexander approaching him.. and the battle was over.

Moral of the story: Get a new coach that plays the game with a sense of dare surprise and freedom. A risk taker. Tenacious. Unshakeable. Chameleon like. Intelligent. All the qualities that make a coach great re.
Are you saying we need a coach with a big Phalanx? Bucks doesn't have the phalanx for the job?

I'd keep Spinny and give him a raise.
I'd keep Maxwell maybe.

Obviously I wouldn't do this all at once.
Medicos can go.
Coaches all go.
Board all go.
The property steward who can't lock a phone box can go.
Hine can go
Our PR department can go.
Trade Degoey, WHE, Sidebottom, Sier,
Delist Greenwood, Mayne,
Get Merrett.

Are you saying we need a coach with a big Phalanx? Bucks doesn't have the phalanx for the job?

Looking for no excuses.

Look at how at Alexander orchestrated the siege of tyre re.. look at how Clarkson went the full Monty at the scg in below zero degree temp bruh.. in the *en snow re.. God snow.. now you've got me thinking about the Swiss Alps and that re.. getting all emotionsl and s**t like that.. one of my favourite holiday destinations and that re but anyway.. let's carry on with the story..

Look re.. the moral of the story is this..

Whatever you're up against.. there's always a way to win.. you're over down there at the West playing the Eagles.. 95% parochial Eagles crowd.. biased umpires.. shite changing rooms.. that should fuel your desire to win even more.. get in *en beast mode.. you're not only a football player.. you're a warrior re.. part of that s**t is to learn to adjust.. and go.. well * it re.. it is what it is.. I'm up for the fight.

We've got a coach who's more concerned about not upsetting the apple cart.. same s**t.. week in.. week out.

Looking for no excuses.

Look at how at Alexander orchestrated the siege of tyre re.. look at how Clarkson went the full Monty at the scg in below zero degree temp bruh.. in the fu**en snow re.. God snow.. now you've got me thinking about the Swiss Alps and that re.. getting all emotionsl and sh*t like that.. one of my favourite holiday destinations and that re but anyway.. let's carry on with the story..

Look re.. the moral of the story is this..

Whatever you're up against.. there's always a way to win.. you're over down there at the West playing the Eagles.. 95% parochial Eagles crowd.. biased umpires.. sh*te changing rooms.. that should fuel your desire to win even more.. get in fu**en beast mode.. you're not only a football player.. you're a warrior re.. part of that sh*t is to learn to adjust.. and go.. well fu** it re.. it is what it is.. I'm up for the fight.

We've got a coach who's more concerned about not upsetting the apple cart.. same sh*t.. week in.. week out.
We need a tactician like Henry V who knows how to turn the opponent's strengths into weaknesses and deploy his forces to maximum effect. Buckley basically does the opposite of this. He'dve told the archers to deploy as swordsmen in the centre to blunt the cavalry charge.

We need a tactician like Henry V who knows how to turn the opponent's strengths into weaknesses and deploy his forces to maximum effect. Buckley basically does the opposite of this. He'dve told the archers to deploy as swordsmen in the centre to blunt the cavalry charge.

He'd use the same tactics.. no matter what re.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Quaynor Roughead Keane
Maynard Moore Murphy
J Daicos Adams Poulter
McCreery Mihocek Elliott
Cameron De Goey Stengle

Grundy Merrett Crisp

Int
Sidebottom Pendlebury Howe N Daicos

Res
Chugg Tohill Bianco
Ruscoe Wilson Noble