Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
d00ec705940985b215cacd567e0b6c2d.jpg

Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Stability is important.

Off field Port, bar perhaps being slow to get into the AFL, has done remarkably well. We have a diverse board with varying skills. Our financial position has gone from that of a beggar to stable. Our indigenous programs are exceptional. Our community programs are great, our venture into China takes guts and vision. Koch has taken us onto a national stage whilst KT has kept the vibe relaxed and grounded.

The board isn’t perfect, KT and Koch have their flaws. But hey, Kennett hates Clarkson, McGuire orchestrated the move to Buckley, which only started paying dividends last year, North just booted Brad Scott in questionable circumstances, GCS/Carlton are shambles, Richmond’s board were almost removed the year before their flag, Melbourne and St Kilda were putrid until recently, the bulldogs are broke, Adelaide’s CEO committed draft fraud amongst other things, Ross Lyon has been given tenure at Freo despite constant failure.

Now I’m with the majority, Ken is done. I would add that there are several players and personnel that need to be moved on.

We need to build a strong unit - board, CEO, football department, fitness staff, list, etc - to ensure that we find the right coach and that they hit the ground running.

JimmyBeerCans

Cancelled
30k Posts 10k Posts Bring Back the Bars
May 6, 2013
Hell
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Collectively they are an absolute ulcer within all sporting fields and contribute absolutely nothing towards the betterment of sport.

Unfortunately they have become a necessary evil.
It's their job to look after the interests of the client not the club, it sucks on a few levels but at the end of the day the dullards in club land don't have to cave.. we folded like a garage sale card table.

Oct 5, 2006
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
There are no other teams
Stability is important.

Off field Port, bar perhaps being slow to get into the AFL, has done remarkably well. We have a diverse board with varying skills. Our financial position has gone from that of a beggar to stable. Our indigenous programs are exceptional. Our community programs are great, our venture into China takes guts and vision. Koch has taken us onto a national stage whilst KT has kept the vibe relaxed and grounded.

The board isn’t perfect, KT and Koch have their flaws. But hey, Kennett hates Clarkson, McGuire orchestrated the move to Buckley, which only started paying dividends last year, North just booted Brad Scott in questionable circumstances, GCS/Carlton are shambles, Richmond’s board were almost removed the year before their flag, Melbourne and St Kilda were putrid until recently, the bulldogs are broke, Adelaide’s CEO committed draft fraud amongst other things, Ross Lyon has been given tenure at Freo despite constant failure.

Now I’m with the majority, Ken is done. I would add that there are several players and personnel that need to be moved on.

We need to build a strong unit - board, CEO, football department, fitness staff, list, etc - to ensure that we find the right coach and that they hit the ground running.
Sorry, but I beg to differ. Our financial position if far from stable, we are still one of the AFL's "welfare" clubs.

As for the "national stage", what has Koch done other than talk us down at every opportunity he gets?

Smithy7

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Keith Thomas is the Chief Executive. He answers to the board and works to their wishes as best he can. He didn't re-sign Hinkley. That's on David Koch and the board. KT's hands are relatively tied. He can offer suggestions as forcefully as he likes, but he's the guy who's there to implement the board's strategy.

I still like KT. Koch and his massive ego wouldn't be an easy beast to manage and influence. Is he "the good German's who sat back and watched the trains roll by"? Perhaps. But i'm not sure what he alone can do.

Good to see you know how a CEO works. Too many on here have no bloody idea, and calling for his head is just stupid.
I was a CEO for a Sports Club, and had no power to make decisions, only to follow instructions from the Board.
And this is what Keith does.

Rexie J

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2012
YP
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
It's their job to look after the interests of the client not the club, it sucks on a few levels but at the end of the day the dullards in club land don't have to cave.. we folded like a garage sale card table.

Agree, I was looking at the broader picture across all sports. I just don't see what value they add other than their own pockets and inflating prices for many of their clients way above their talent.

However, whatever way we look at the Hinkley re-signing and who was involved, it was a monumental stuff up.

Rexie J

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2012
YP
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Good to see you know how a CEO works. Too many on here have no bloody idea, and calling for his head is just stupid.
I was a CEO for a Sports Club, and had no power to make decisions, only to follow instructions from the Board.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/ceo.asp

Updated May 7, 2019
What Is Chief Executive Officer (CEO)?
A chief executive officer (CEO) is the highest-ranking executive in a company, whose primary responsibilities include making major corporate decisions, managing the overall operations and resources of a company, acting as the main point of communication between the board of directors (the board) and corporate operations, and being the public face of the company. A CEO is elected by the board and its shareholders.

May 9, 2014
Perth
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
a good coach knows how to structure their team to be in every game no matter how difficult the opposition, he implements that structure and he drills it into the players untill it is absolute second nature to them, their natural fair and skill is seen through that structure not around it or separate from it, they are the teams that win premierships. Ken in all the time he has coached has never been able to drill it into the team and that is why we are a pretty easy team to play against particularly when that team is a better quality, Sure you will get a win against a good team every now and again but you wont generate that consistancy where the player believes in the process and follows it through to the very end, this is highlighted by how many consecutive games have we won over the past 3 or 4 years. The reason why Ken cant coach is because he doesnt have the faith in himself to implement a structure that he can stick by, nor does he have the guts to force it onto the playing group and make them abide by it.
I'd argue the other way. Ken only knows one way to play, he's tried different variations of it, but it always reverts back to what he knows, and what we all know, which is the same old same old year in, year out, week in, week out. It lasted 4-5 weeks this year before we've gone back to boring old Hinkley footy, and here we are having the same chats from seasons past.

Writing was on the wall in the off season, we all just got sold on the potential of our draftees, forgetting we'd seen that before as well.

Nothing happening on the field, off the field, or on this board is any different from last seasons. And it won't change while status quo remains.

Smithy7

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 1, 2014
South of Scotland
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/ceo.asp

Updated May 7, 2019
What Is Chief Executive Officer (CEO)?
A chief executive officer (CEO) is the highest-ranking executive in a company, whose primary responsibilities include making major corporate decisions, managing the overall operations and resources of a company, acting as the main point of communication between the board of directors (the board) and corporate operations, and being the public face of the company. A CEO is elected by the board and its shareholders.
You will find there is a difference between a Company and/or Sporting Clubs. Plus, it also depends on how the Constitution is set up, and/or what Powers the Board of Directors have given the CEO.

Rexie J

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2012
YP
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
You will find there is a difference between a Company and/or Sporting Clubs. Plus, it also depends on how the Constitution is set up, and/or what Powers the Board of Directors have given the CEO.

I assure you I'm acutely aware of all the differences and would not have commented if not speaking from experience.

Joelg

All Australian
Sep 16, 2012
Woodville
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
you see Thomas was the problem, because he shouldnt have accepted Ken talking behind his back to another club in order to lever himself into a better position. He should have been highly offended that a bloke with who he had worked with for the past 5 years would go behind his back to put himself into a position like that. These are the exact moments that make you or break you as a CEO, he was the problem because he didnt have the character himself to make the tuff decision, instead he took the easy option.

Boom, you have it. Someone needs to be in charge and there is only one person in a full time role here the CEO. At some point a CEO needs to be in charge and recommend to the board his recommendation.
If the board is making decisions and CEO just executes, we have the wrong CEO

Joelg

All Australian
Sep 16, 2012
Woodville
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Why? The board makes one key decision......hire the CEO. Someone needs to be in charge and it is not a part time director

Ps a chairman has no decision rights, the board collectively have decision rights. Koch under the constitution cannot make a decision on his own.

Joelg

All Australian
Sep 16, 2012
Woodville
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I'd argue the other way. Ken only knows one way to play, he's tried different variations of it, but it always reverts back to what he knows, and what we all know, which is the same old same old year in, year out, week in, week out. It lasted 4-5 weeks this year before we've gone back to boring old Hinkley footy, and here we are having the same chats from seasons past.

Writing was on the wall in the off season, we all just got sold on the potential of our draftees, forgetting we'd seen that before as well.

Nothing happening on the field, off the field, or on this board is any different from last seasons. And it won't change while status quo remains.
Kenny is like a country coach, one dimensional and no strategic thought.
He should be assessed alone for recruiting Motlop, Watts, Rockliff, McKenzie. They are the worst recruits (that just block a list) of all time.
That in itself was the beginning of the end

Joelg

All Australian
Sep 16, 2012
Woodville
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Not true. If you were running a local sports club yes but if we are running PAFC like that, then we are stuffed. The board are part time volunteers, and if that happens it is like the new golf club committee who want to change the course, to make their mark.

CEO needs to be in charge and the board are there to appoint CEO and provide appropriate challenge to CEO and governance.

Joelg

All Australian
Sep 16, 2012
Woodville
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Keith Thomas is the Chief Executive. He answers to the board and works to their wishes as best he can. He didn't re-sign Hinkley. That's on David Koch and the board. KT's hands are relatively tied. He can offer suggestions as forcefully as he likes, but he's the guy who's there to implement the board's strategy.

I still like KT. Koch and his massive ego wouldn't be an easy beast to manage and influence. Is he "the good German's who sat back and watched the trains roll by"? Perhaps. But i'm not sure what he alone can do.
We all like KT, nice guy. We know where nice guys finish........

Sep 25, 2013
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Sorry, but I beg to differ. Our financial position if far from stable, we are still one of the AFL's "welfare" clubs.

As for the "national stage", what has Koch done other than talk us down at every opportunity he gets?

You appreciate of course that we roughly break even now, as compared to being broke and lacking sponsors or any financial hope and direction in 2012. Membership numbers are up to a sustainable level.

Now compare that financial picture to North, Footscray, St Kilda, Melbourne, Gold Coast, GWS and the Lions. Sydney has an ever precarious situation and even the perennially successful Geelong with their own stadium, complains of the difficulties of balancing the books.

Koch has managed to make the second club in a town of a million people, relevant beyond Alberton and SA.

I’m not saying they are perfect but the board, KT and Koch, and I’m sure there are others, have done a remarkable job, which is worthy of appreciation.

Back