Strategy Cleaning Out Our No-Hopers

Remove this Banner Ad

There is no question that he had the backing of the AFL and that the Government and the SACA were involved, but Mark Haysman was the one who got the ball rolling by arguing for a better stadium deal in the first place. This newspaper article from 2014 discusses Haysman being one of the unsung heroes of that period.
https://www.adelaidenow.com.au/spor...d/news-story/c387947c906ee1b7f3f97c7e6df1e0a0
Okay then- newspaper article 😀, he can now go back to supporting his Crows and Sturt :)

Okay then- newspaper article 😀, he can now go back to supporting his Crows and Sturt :)

Not sure who he supports nowadays but I'm pretty sure he still has a soft spot for Port. He's on good terms with a few of the senior players still and was invited back to the Port Club for an event a few years ago.:)

You appreciate of course that we roughly break even now, as compared to being broke and lacking sponsors or any financial hope and direction in 2012. Membership numbers are up to a sustainable level.
We are rooted financially and have stuffed up our only opportunities to make money. We will never make money. See Lockhart Road's China thread + the Adelaide Oval deal.
Koch has managed to make the second club in a town of a million people, relevant beyond Alberton and SA.
No. Gray, Boak, Wingard and Wines did that. 5 years ago. Then we stopped playing good and watchable footbal and went back to being irrelevant. All David Koch does is embarrass us.
I’m not saying they are perfect but the board, KT and Koch, and I’m sure there are others, have done a remarkable job, which is worthy of appreciation.
They haven't done anything good since year 1. KTs crowning achievements are carrying a bag of ice and complaining about how bad the deal he signed at Adelaide Oval is. You are right, they are not perfect.

Last edited:

Not sure who he supports nowadays but I'm pretty sure he still has a soft spot for Port. He's on good terms with a few of the senior players still and was invited back to the Port Club for an event a few years ago.:)
Thanks Hays- Soaring securities and MY ATM are my memory

Can you tell me what you consider Koch's best few achievements to be?

Not just "making us financially viable", but what specific initiatives have been taken on under his leadership that have made us a better club?

Good question.

I’m not in the know to be able to say which personalities work well or which initiatives are driven by which people.

Some ideas though:
- sponsors - Renault, Cathay pacific, Oak, etc
- China games and strategy
- indigenous academies
- orchestration of one club strategy
- building membership and fan engagement
- move to the Adelaide Oval
- game day village

I’m sure there are other things. I don’t know if Koch helped or hindered these things. I don’t know what credit should go to KT, Koch, the board, the people making good appointments, etc.

I also remember those bad years, when we were on our knees and didn’t remotely resemble the Port Adelaide of old. And I can appreciate just how difficult it is for clubs to make money and to build a winning set up.

I want Port to win flag after flag, to play great, tough, exciting footy, to be the club that players want to come to, that supporters want to support and that opposition fear. All of that starts with a strong financial position that facilitates a broad footy program.

I’m with you, if Koch, KT, the board or anyone at the club are underperforming then they need the boot. I’m just not so sure that KT, Koch and the board are underperforming, bar Ken’s contract extension and I understand why they did it although disagree with the decision, but I’m happy to be proven wrong.

View attachment 680446

Who are our no-hopers? Of whom should we get rid?

- Koch?
- Keith?
- Ken?
- Voss?
- Bassett?
- Jonas?
- Motlop?
- GremioPower?
- ...?
Trouble is the people in power think they are some-hopers and that's why they haven't got rid of the people we might think are no-hopers.

Just look at our kicking skills. We have not cut too many of those no-hopers.

Out of interest, who would you cut REH?
I would transition out 2 or 3 of the current board members per year over 3 years. Wanganeen and Thiele are member elected so you can't kick them out and Darren Cahill has only been there 6 months. The other 7 should go by 2021 - 2022 at the latest.

Ken goes.

Cripps and Davies go. The fact you have net 20 list changes over 2 years - Barry and Thomas were in and out in less than 12 months suggests a big stuff up of the list. Davies negotiated free agents who haven't performed plus he backed Ken''s resigning. We have s**t KPP depth and we get an injury and we are stuffed.

Tell KT to appoint a proper GM Commercial China within 2 or 3 months otherwise resign or take over the CEO of Power Community Ltd and do the community stuff.

Get a kicking coach. Get a goal kicking coach. Get a full time wrestling/tackling coach to replace some of the current failed development coaches.

Bring back the old chairman of selectors so a coach doesn't give out his gold passes.

Trouble is the people in power think they are some-hopers and that's why they haven't got rid of the people we might think are no-hopers.

Just look at our kicking skills. We have not cut too many of those no-hopers.
Do we have any kicking skills? It's deplorable, and it's laughable that's it has been the same issue year in, year out and barely been repaired.

I was told during pre season from someone who went and watched training that our kicking was still poor, so I was expecting the same issue. It's a blight on all of our coaches besides Monty & Schoey as they are new that it is still so deplorable.

Out of interest, who would you cut REH?
Sam Gray, Westhoff, Boak,Jonas and Robbie Gray would be in the my sights. Trouble is we can't get rid of them all at once because they have other skills needed at the moment.

Others that have to be sent off to kicking school would be Wines,SPP, Rockliff,Motlop and DBJ.

Rostrevor boy. Black and Red.

I still find that odd. He’s no longer the captain of the Rostrevor first 18. To me the decision to wear that mouthguard is a bit disrespectful, particularly as a captain that should love his current club more than his boyhood school.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sam Gray, Westhoff, Boak,Jonas and Robbie Gray would be in the my sights. Trouble is we can't get rid of them all at once because they have other skills needed at the moment.

Others that have to be sent off to kicking school would be Wines,SPP, Rockliff,Motlop and DBJ.

It’s a sad reflection that this is just about our entire ‘senior’ group. And a group that has a tendency to let us down at key moments.

I still find that odd. He’s no longer the captain of the Rostrevor first 18. To me the decision to wear that mouthguard is a bit disrespectful, particularly as a captain that should love his current club more than his boyhood school.
I guess I see both sides. Possibly a superstition?

I would transition out 2 or 3 of the current board members per year over 3 years. Wanganeen and Thiele are member elected so you can't kick them out and Darren Cahill has only been there 6 months. The other 7 should go by 2021 - 2022 at the latest.

Ken goes.

Cripps and Davies go. The fact you have net 20 list changes over 2 years - Barry and Thomas were in and out in less than 12 months suggests a big stuff up of the list. Davies negotiated free agents who haven't performed plus he backed Ken''s resigning. We have **** KPP depth and we get an injury and we are stuffed.

Tell KT to appoint a proper GM Commercial China within 2 or 3 months otherwise resign or take over the CEO of Power Community Ltd and do the community stuff.

Get a kicking coach. Get a goal kicking coach. Get a full time wrestling/tackling coach to replace some of the current failed development coaches.

Bring back the old chairman of selectors so a coach doesn't give out his gold passes.
Agree with your strategic thought

I am still struggling with what KT does? Revenue? Football?. What does he do, other than write a monthly memo like he is a media guy

Remove this Banner Ad

Back