Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
May 1, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Collingwood
We have Presti and Wakelin playing career best football. Maxwell is doing well and J Cloke is gunning in the VFL. At teh other end Taz is struggling, Walker is out of form and the Cloke boys are still learning.

Time to release Clement out of defence where he is not currently needed, and up the ground where he can use his strength, experience and immaculate skills to create some goalscoring opportunities.

MM, show some initiative - the time is now!!!!

Mate did Clemo play up forward with Freo at any stage?
I dunno thats why I'm asking I see your point I just dont wanna see our best player moved forward and being lost at sea.

collingwoody said:
Mate did Clemo play up forward with Freo at any stage?
I dunno thats why I'm asking I see your point I just dont wanna see our best player moved forward and being lost at sea.

I think he did. One of MM's great weaknesses is unwillingness to move players around the ground.

hotpie said:
I think he did. One of MM's great weaknesses is unwillingness to move players around the ground.

why would u move clement? his all australian back there. i think if anything we should drop walker now we have fraser back. play c3 at centre half forward, play tarrant either out of a pocket or flank and look for a full forward.

this season is slipping away so why not look to the future instead of quick fixes, if we did that then we could play rocca full forward even strong mark coz tarrant is to quick to be wasted down at full forward if his not converting.

If Clement is an All Australian theres all the more reason to play him where he'd be more valuable.

Fraser in, Walker out, T Cloke at CHF, C Cloke on the bench, Clement at half forward.

J Cloke can play half back flank. Its the easiest position on the field. Clement is wasted there. Nothing to be lost by gining it a go, and our team balance is restored, and maybe just maybe aour season is back on track.

I'd play Clement in the midfield if I thought it woudl help.

Even though we have got a well structured back line, why would you move Clement out of there. He is an All-Australian backman, and the fact that he is our best player that can play there position is another factor.

Clement did play forward at times for Freo, including a 5 goal haul once or twice for memory. He is capable of playing there, but he is more damaging to the defence.

We are not throwing away games, surely... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Lonie_from_50 said:
Even though we have got a well structured back line, why would you move Clement out of there. He is an All-Australian backman,:

He is an All Australian. We need his special ability elsewhere around the ground so that we can WIN games, not try and save them.

hotpie said:

he put jason cloke down in the forward line way too much for mine. that idea he was too willing on

Its time people stop wanting clement in the forward line. He plays his best footy down back and we wouldnt want collingwood to get flogged even more if he moves to the forward line!

Nobody has any imagination. Premierships are won by thinking outside the square.

Why would we put our best defender in the bloody forward line.

MM did that 2 years ago and ruined somebody by the name of Jason Cloke - 's career.

Winning games doesn't help by putting a All-Australian, Top Quality and Best and Fairest Backman in the position where we are falling down, or then we will fall down int he Back Pocket. We got Half Forward Flankers - why not use them. The over-rated Didak should be 95% fit and he should play good footy there!

Having Clement play HFF won't win games. He saves goals, not kicks them. :rolleyes:

hotpie said:
Nobody has any imagination. Premierships are won by thinking outside the square.

Oh yeah. It worked when Mick Malthouse put Jason Cloke at Centre Half Back on Grand Final Day. Also Ben Kinnear used as a tagger.

:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lonie_from_50 said:
Oh yeah. It worked when Mick Malthouse put Jason Cloke at Centre Half Back on Grand Final Day. Also Ben Kinnear used as a tagger.

:rolleyes:

Trying it with a proper footballer might be a better idea.

I'd like to see it, the only prob I have with it is the drive we'd lose off half back. If Jason stepped up and provided some of that then why not.

Jason was unsuited in the forward line tho Jim has done it before. Daniher threw Miller on Hall a couple weeks back and it worked a charm. Throwing Jim on a wing or HFF he could use his long kicking and pinpoint accuracy to advantage let alone win contests with his footy smarts.

But dont hold your breath....MM doesnt think outside the square :(

You could probably get away with Maxwell or Wakelin doing his role pretty well.

I've been clamoring for Clement to go up forward for a while - even just for a trial. If it doesn't work, then put him back - it's not hard. I remember he kicked 5 at full forward for the Dockers at Waverley, back when the Saints were going alright - he should've played there in the '03 GF.

I have no objection to trying Clement up forward but I have my doubts about it working as more than shock value and I'd be reluctant to upset the backline structure.

MarkT said:
I have no objection to trying Clement up forward but I have my doubts about it working as more than shock value and I'd be reluctant to upset the backline structure.
Yeah, you'd think that, but about the only area that our footy department is competent in, is achieving good results in the backline.

Even last year when we were Wakes & Presti down, we still did OK.

Maxwell can play the Clement role so this would be a good idea.
Presti was tried forward in a prac game or two this year and last year at one prac game vs. Melbourne he was put in the forward line against Bizzell and did well, lead well all quarter, out running Bizzell. (he was only in it a quarter until he injured his eye).

Remove this Banner Ad

Back