Teams Cleveland Browns - GPODAWUND [sic]

Remove this Banner Ad

CBS' Jason La Canfora came away from Browns camp with the impression that Tyrod Taylor will be the Week 1 starter at quarterback.

La Canfora passes along the observation in an article about how impressive Baker Mayfield has been. Taylor has apparently been even better so far in camp. It certainly seems possible that the Browns will stick to their guns about Taylor starting Week 1, but the countdown clock for a No. 1 overall quarterback starts the second he is selected. Mayfield is going to make 2018 starts, likely early.

Source: CBS Sports

According to Browns Zone's Scott Petrak, second-year TE David Njoku has dropped too many passes early on in training camp.

Drops are a largely overrated statistic, but they can become problematic if they start to become habitual and force the quarterback to reconsider throwing it in a player's direction. Njoku's drops early in camp even have teammates taking jabs at him. Njoku is expected to make a second-year leap but has a ton of competition for targets after the Browns overhauled their offense.

Source: Scott Petrak on Twitter

So two days after his own assistant coach said its "plan z" and the player himself being surprised by it, Hue Jackson has moved Joel Bitonio outside to tackle and put Corbett in as left guard. He runs a real cohesive team doesn't he. The man is just not a good head coach.

I actually like the move though. But Joel should have been preparing for this possibility all off season, not have it sprung upon him 8 days before the first pre season game.

I’m sure he’s been preparing all offseason. Can hardly say he knew Shon Coleman would suck and he’s been getting ready.

Wtf are you on about?

I would be surprised if hadn't occurred to Bitonio that it might happen.

:)

I'm sure in the back of his head he thought it was a possibility. But he hasn't been training for it, that was made abundantly clear today.

The mistake they made was thinking Corbett could be anything other than a guard/centre.

Bitonio should have been the second man up at tackle since OTAs

Joel Bitonio today: "yeh it was a shock, got a call on my off day and try to study a little big of left tackle"

Bob Wylie a couple days ago: moving Bitonio to tackle is plan z"

Chris: "Bitonio has been training as a tackle in secret so he doesn't hurt Shon Colemans feelings"

Or you just believe everything you read. Either or.

Or you can just create a scenario in your head to make you feel about the team with absolutely no evidence to back it up. Either or.

The mental hoops you will jump through to defend everything this franchise does is truly amazing. I can't tell if it's admirable or sad.

Occums Razor mate.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It’s not a difficult concept. I fail to believe a pro like Bitonio would not have been preparing for such a move, given everyone knew it was a possibility.

As for this whole Plan Z thing, maybe he was.

A - Coleman
B - Robinson
C - Harrison
D - Corbett
Z - Bitonio

Just because he was Plan Z, doesn’t mean there were 26 plans. Coleman wasn’t showing improvement, Robinson and Harrison are injured. And they clearly decided the rookie was better at guard than tackle.

I wasn’t aware anything actually needed defending. It’s training camp and they made a decision that was the best for the team. That’s good. Not everything has to be made into a negative.

It’s not a difficult concept. I fail to believe a pro like Bitonio would not have been preparing for such a move, given everyone knew it was a possibility.

All available evidence would suggest otherwise. You'd also think he'd have changed his body somewhat. The dudes clearly reluctant to do it, and you wouldn't think it would come as a shock if he'd been preparing for it all along. Or that he'd have to do some last minute research the night before. He probably just made that up on the spot as well though

A - Coleman
B - Robinson
C - Harrison
D - Corbett
Z - Bitonio

Just because he was Plan Z, doesn’t mean there were 26 plans. Coleman wasn’t showing improvement, Robinson and Harrison are injured. And they clearly decided the rookie was better at guard than tackle.

Wen Wylie said plan Z it was clear that he thought they had no intention of moving Joel out. It's just terrible optics. Also reminds me of when everybody in the building, from QB coach to GM were saying Kizer wasn't ready to start, but Hue threw him out there anyway and backed his coaching. Lack of uniform in message from all levels has been a problem for years, good to see nothing's changed.

I wasn’t aware anything actually needed defending. It’s training camp and they made a decision that was the best for the team. That’s good. Not everything has to be made into a negative.

Exactly, it's training camp. 1st pre season game is in 8 days and 1st proper game is in a month. This is something that Joel should have been preparing for for 3 months. He's only got 10 training camp practices left. It all stems from the missevaluation of Corbett. If they had just seen what everybody except you saw (he's an inside guy), they could have already had Joel prepped as the number 2 tackle. With the CBA limiting reps every practice is so important, especially on the O-Line, and we have not used them optimally so far.

Joel hasn't played left tackle in 4 years, he's going against the best athletes in the world, and he's got a month to learn how to do it. Not putting players in positions to succeed has been a theme of Hues coaching, so he is at least consistent if nothing else.

Now for the record I think Joel can do it, and I like the move of putting him out there, but Hues just made a hard job that much harder.

Yes of course not everything has to be negative. That's an argument I had basically all of last season and after the draft with our good friend AmericanCrow. When they do stuff I like, I applaud them, and when they do things I think are dumb, I give my opinion. I think you both go way too far on both ends of the spectrum that it borders on trolling.

Browns GM John Dorsey said he would consider signing Tyrod Taylor to a contract extension.

"I want to see it unfold," said Dorsey in an interview with The Ringer. "There may come a point here where I call his representatives in October and say, 'Let's strike something up.'" Taylor has shown starter traits throughout his career, though this would seem to be a puzzling move for a team that just used the first overall pick on Baker Mayfield. Tyrod is entrenched as the Week 1 starter, but Mayfield is undoubtedly the Browns' quarterback of the future. Ultimately, we'd expect Taylor to be one-and-done in Cleveland.

Source: The Ringer

Browns GM John Dorsey said he would consider signing Tyrod Taylor to a contract extension.

"I want to see it unfold," said Dorsey in an interview with The Ringer. "There may come a point here where I call his representatives in October and say, 'Let's strike something up.'" Taylor has shown starter traits throughout his career, though this would seem to be a puzzling move for a team that just used the first overall pick on Baker Mayfield. Tyrod is entrenched as the Week 1 starter, but Mayfield is undoubtedly the Browns' quarterback of the future. Ultimately, we'd expect Taylor to be one-and-done in Cleveland.

Source: The Ringer

Wonder if Tyrod finds himself in Tampa if they move on from Winston.

I can't see him signing an extension to play back up.

Corey Coleman to be traded to the Bills for a late round draft pick.

Thought he would get this season as a make it or break it year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back