Teams Cleveland Browns - GPODAWUND [sic]

Remove this Banner Ad

Jarvis Landry steals first episode of Hard Knocks with passionate speech
Posted by Charean Williams on August 7, 2018, 11:37 PM EDT
pft219-e1533699434874.jpg

AP

Jarvis Landry starred in the first episode of Hard Knocks: Training Camp with the Cleveland Browns on Tuesday night.

The receiver, acquired in an offseason trade with the Dolphins, not only mesmerizes General Manager John Dorsey and teammates with his hands, but he delivers a speech that steals the show.

An HBO spokesman promised Adam Schefter of ESPN earlier Tuesday that Landry’s speech would rank among the top five all time for Hard Knocks. The claim wasn’t overstated.

Exactly halfway through the show, Landry asked to talk during a receivers meeting.

“I don’t know what the [expletive] has been going on here,” Landry said to his teammates, “and I don’t know why it’s been going on. But if you’re not hurt, like if your hamstring ain’t falling off, [expletive] gone; your leg ain’t broke. Like you should be [expletive] practicing. Straight up. Like that [expletive] is weakness, and that [expletive] is contagious as [expletive], and that [expletive] ain’t going to be in this room, bro. That [expletive] been here in the past, and that’s why the past has been like it is, bro. That [expletive] is over with here, bro. If you’re going to [expletive] practice, [expletive] practice. You can’t get no better. Ain’t nobody going to get better by being on the [expletive] sideline if you ain’t [expletive] hurt. If you’re not [expletive] hurt, you’ve got to [expletive] practice. Because you make other [expletive] work even [expletive] harder. Now they’re at more [expletive] risk of getting hurt, because you don’t want to [expletive] practice, because you’re being a [expletive]. Straight up, man. That [expletive] is [expletive] real, bro. That [expletive] ain’t happening here. I’m just letting y’all know. That [expletive] is not [expletive] happening here. I’m hurt and I’m tired just like every [expletive] body in this room, but I ain’t taking no [expletive] days off, because I can’t be [expletive] great that way. That’s got to be the [expletive] attitude and the mentality all the [expletive] time. All that ‘me’ [expletive] don’t [expletive] live here no more. That [expletive] don’t exist. It’s contagious, bro. Like it’s really [expletive] contagious. It’s contagious.”

In an interview with the NFL Films crew later, Landry said the speech was somewhat out of character for him.

“You know I’m not really much of a talker,” Landry said. “When I do talk, it takes a lot before it comes out. At the same time, I try to talk with the best interest of the team and not just myself, pushing the guys, holding the guys accountable and just going and leading by example.”

Landry impressed the Browns just as much on the practice field.

During the team’s scrimmage, Landry makes a one-handed catch, prompting Dorsey to excitedly say, “Oh, my Lord. Did you see that? One hand. One hand.”

A teammate yells, “We got us a playmaker.”

The death of Hue Jackson’s brother and mother within two weeks of each other also plays a big part in the first episode. Jackson tells his sister, Kimberely, on the phone, that “it’s only me and you now, girl.”

The coach later shares a group hug with Dorsey, director of football operations Simon Gelan and senior vice president of communications Peter John-Baptiste before breaking down in tears as the three exit the room.

Also of note: Offensive coordinator Todd Haley questioned Jackson on the veteran days off philosophy, arguing the team had too much to do to have players sitting around doing nothing when they weren’t hurt; and Baker Mayfield had $14.2 million of his $22 million signing bonus paid up front.

Hard Knocks debut foreshadows potential dysfunction
Posted by Mike Florio on August 8, 2018, 10:50 AM EDT

ap_18211772136980-e1533739824430.jpg

AP

The first episode of Hard Knocks juxtaposes a locker room full of guys desperate to turn the page on two years of horrible performances against a coaching staff led by a guy whose name is on the front cover of the Book of One-and-Thirty-One. The obivous disconnect was, for the most part, implied. In one scene, it definitely wasn’t.

At a meeting led by coach Hue Jackson, V.P. of player health and development Joe Sheehan recited a list of the players who would be missing periodic practices with the goal of keeping them healthy. Then, new running backs coach Freddie Kitchens explained, diplomatically and tactfully, the importance of having as many players available for practice as possible.

Said Jackson in response: “I think, for the new coaches here, we’re not taking guys out because they’re special or anything like that. We’re taking them out for preventative measures and normally the team has understood that. . . . Duke [Johnson] has had a history of pulling [muscles] and if we end up losing him or missing him, it doesn’t help us. Guys, this is all for preventative measures.”

Then, new offensive coordinator Todd Haley chimed in, far less diplomatically or tactfully.

“I have an opinion on it,” Haley said. “We need to get so much done, you know? And I know I said that to you and we joke about it, but if we live in our fears, I mean our team has to get mentally tougher and be able to fight through the sh-t that we’ve gotta fight through. We’ve got to change this drastically and if we’ve got guys that haven’t done sh-t sitting around doing nothing, you know, I just don’t know how we’re going to do it.”

That didn’t sit all that well with Jackson, who quickly reminded everyone in the room who runs it.

“I used to sit in the same chair you guys sit in and I used to feel the same way,” Jackson said. “I just wanted to kill them, OK? Until all of a sudden I sat in this chair and then they’re not there, and you don’t get them to practice, and you can’t get them through, and then you don’t have them for three weeks. And I’m not living in my fears, that’s real. And I think we all can appreciate that.”

Jackson a few moments later revisited the reality that he’s in charge.

“Guys, listen, I’m excited about what you’re doing,” Jackson said. “I’m going to say it again. But the chair I sit in is a little different then the chair you guys sit in. I get to watch from a different lens. OK, and I think you guys can all respect that. At the end of the day, I get to drive this bus, and I’m going to get it the way I want it. That’s period. That’s just how it works. OK? Al [Saunders] taught me a long time ago. What is it, Al? Give it to me.”

“It’s your team, you can do whatever the hell you want,” Saunders said.

“When it’s your team, you can do whatever the hell you want,” Jackson said. “OK? So this one’s mine. So that’s just the way it’s going to be, and that is of respect of everybody in this room. But this is how we do it, and we’ll always have these kind of discussions. Because I’m only trying to make it better. If there’s something we can do better, we’re going to do it better. It’s just that simple.”

It’s curious that Jackson would close by saying that he’s willing to consider better ways of doing things when his first reaction to a suggestion from his new offensive coordinator involving a potentially better way of handling practice time wasn’t to engage in a full discussion regarding the respective merits of the various approaches but to instantly go straight to the Al Haig card.

If that’s what happens when the team is 0-0, what happens if the Browns start 0-5, again?

Making the Hue-Haley exchange far more remarkable was the fact that it happened on camera, and that Kitchens, Haley, and Jackson all knew it was happening on camera. They knew it during and, more importantly, they knew it before. So it’s fair to wonder whether, for example, Kitchens and Haley planned a sort-of good cop/bad cop routine, with Kitchens gingerly putting the issue on the tee and Haley taking an oversized driver to it.

Despite his well-known flaws (including whatever it was that compelled him to think that pulling that stunt on camera in one of the first training-camp meetings would be a good idea), Haley’s record as a head coach is 19-26. Jackson’s is 9-39. And Haley has spent the last six years coordinating one of the better offenses in all of football, undoubtedly dealing while in Pittsburgh with the very issue that was under consideration during that meeting.

Then again, Haley quite possibly assumed that the entire exchange would end up on the cutting room floor. Although the Browns (supposedly) have no editorial control over the show, they have the ability to screen the show in advance, in the hopes of squashing any content of a “competitive nature.” Surely, if G.M. John Dorsey and/or coach Hue Jackson believed that the public airing of an initial batch of slightly soiled undergarments could prompt fans and media to scrutinize every aspect of the relationship between coach and offensive coordinator for signs of implosion and/or coup d’état, NFL Films would have agreed to kill it.

While it makes for a much better TV show to include the scene, it doesn’t necessarily make for a much better season for the Cleveland Browns, if one of the narratives becomes when and if the Hue Jackson/Todd Haley partnership turns openly tempestuous. Then again, that may be what it takes to persuade ownership to finally give Dorsey the ability to do what should have been done after the team finished 0-16 a year ago.

The purpose of the show is to create controversy, real or not.

Like all the other "reality" shows, we don't know how much has been scripted or edited.

There has to be a good guy and a bad guy.

etc etc

Antonio Callaway’s hearing rescheduled, he made trip to New York
Posted by Darin Gantt on August 9, 2018, 5:48 AM EDT
ap_18219780463284-e1533680788892.jpg

AP

The Browns want to believe in Antonio Callaway, and to give him a chance.

The Ohio court system is willing to go along with it.

According to Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, the rookie wide receiver who was cited for driving with a suspended license and a misdemeanor marijuana possession charge was supposed to have his first hearing this morning. That has been rescheduled for Aug. 23 at 8 a.m., and since they play the Eagles at home that night, he can ostensibly make that one.

Callaway made the trip to New York for tonight’s game against the Giants, but he may not be out of the woods with the team.

He did not inform them of the citation, and they found out about it through media reports. Coach Hue Jackson said he’d have a “strong conversation” with Callaway about the incident and said “this is surprising to me.”

The talented wideout, who was promoted to the starting lineup this week, slid in the draft in part because of concerns about a failed drug test (for a diluted sample) at the Scouting Combine. He was also suspended for his final season at Florida for his role in a credit card scam.

Tyrod looked like the best QB we’ve had in a very long time. When Baker eventually starts, he’ll have really earned it. He also looked good though.

Higgins is actually looking like an NFL calibre receiver. While Calloway overcame a slow start to really flash.

First team D looked excellent. Having a fourth LB like Kendricks will certainly help things.

Only real struggle was the second team OL. Which in turn completely killed the run game. Need Zeitler back to kick Drango down, and maybe Harrison at tackle.

Solid start. Preseason champs again.

Baker was very good. Played exactly like he did at OU. Look at his footwork within the pocket, it's exceptional. He is always able to get himself on the right platform to throw. You can tell he's been coached really well.

I also appreciate Baker because it exposed some people through the draft process. Anybody who said this guy didn't have a strong arm just simply doesn't watch. The ball flies out.

Still think he needs to work on his ball placement. He's very accurate but a few times he threw it behind or in a spot where the reciever had to adjust. Needs to placed every ball like he did on the Calloway TD.

The Njoku TD was so good. His processing is lightning fast, that was either his third or fourth read.

Good start, but not surprising.

Corbett sucked. Almost as if he could have used all the reps he could get at a position he's never played before. Rather than being thrown all over the line at training camp.

Think he'll be good but a rough start.

Drango lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Gregg is still going to run this ******* defence.

Blitz heavy, safety looking like a punt returner, and worst of all corners lining ten yards off. It looks good against Davis Webb who can't handle a blitz, but any half decent quarterback is going to pick you apart. You're just giving up easy completions, and not giving your pass rushers enough time to get to the QB. If I see Denzel Ward, one of the best press man corners to come out of the draft in a long time, playing off man the majority of the snaps, I'm going to complain online.

Higgins backed up his great training camp.

David Njoku is a monster. Unguardable. Only 22 years old. Can't believe people were giving this kid, who broke Browns rookie TE records with a historically bad QB, a hard time at training camp because he dropped a couple balls. He's always going to drop a couple more a year than you'd like, but he more than makes up for it.

Ogunjobi going to have a huge year. But our DT depth drops off the face of the earth after him.

Kendricks looks really good.

Sorry bros but I think Mayfield is gonna be a letdown. Not outright bust. His footwork/mechanics are awful, no power, balls floating and underthrown. Wait till there's tons of pressure in the pocket or confused by pre snap reads and he moves around then chucks it, its gonna get ugly.

You thought we were gonna draft Josh Allen

You thought we were gonna draft Josh Allen
Watch the game again, watch his footwork. He likes to move around in the pocket/scramble, which is fine, but almost every throw he makes is off balance, off the back foot, while moving around. Watch how many balls float, almost get picked off, underthrown, etc. It's a really bad trait. See, the coaches (hopefully) will try to work on his technique, but when real games happen, players go back to instinct, in the heat of the moment. And when real games are on, there's gonna be a ton of coverages and looks that'll confuse him as well as pressure from blitzers. It's not going to be pretty if he doesn't set his feet. I'm just pre-warning you.

Watch the game again, watch his footwork. He likes to move around in the pocket/scramble, which is fine, but almost every throw he makes is off balance, off the back foot, while moving around. Watch how many balls float, almost get picked off, underthrown, etc. It's a really bad trait. See, the coaches (hopefully) will try to work on his technique, but when real games happen, players go back to instinct, in the heat of the moment. And when real games are on, there's gonna be a ton of coverages and looks that'll confuse him as well as pressure from blitzers. It's not going to be pretty if he doesn't set his feet. I'm just pre-warning you.

You don't know what you're talking about. Almost every throw he makes is balanced and on platform because his footwork is so good.

He sets his feet quicker than any prospect I've seen. He is almost always balanced when he throws. I'll admit his deep ball can flutter sometimes however.

You're just making s**t up. The only ball you could could construct your argument around is the first one, and that is the case of the pressure forcing him onto his back foot. You will see that from every quarterback in the league, every week.

Look at the throw at 1:40. Look how many times his feet reset in the pocket. It allows him to get the ball out straight away because he's never off platform.

Then look at the throw 2 throws after the TD to Njoku. 2:20. He evades pressure then sets his feet WHILE HES BEING TACKLED and delivers a strike.

Go back to making up stupid draft predictions that are never right.

You don't know what you're talking about. Almost every throw he makes is balanced and on platform because his footwork is so good.

He sets his feet quicker than any prospect I've seen. He is almost always balanced when he throws. I'll admit his deep ball can flutter sometimes however.

You're just making s**t up. The only ball you could could construct your argument around is the first one, and that is the case of the pressure forcing him onto his back foot. You will see that from every quarterback in the league, every week.

Look at the throw at 1:40. Look how many times his feet reset in the pocket. It allows him to get the ball out straight away because he's never off platform.

Then look at the throw 2 throws after the TD to Njoku. 2:20. He evades pressure then sets his feet WHILE HES BEING TACKLED and delivers a strike.

Go back to making up stupid draft predictions that are never right.

Take those rose colored glasses off. I saw every snap of his, and most of them were feet not set. He made a bunch of great throws in spite of the footwork, but having to really heave his arm to compensate. But the ball wasn't as zippy, but still on target, caught. He made a number of throws with feet set. But there were a lot where he was throwing off the back foot, that's bad technique, he even had a couple throws where his feet were still kinda in the air, or transitioning.

Which throws? Please show me. You are just making s**t up. Don't know why I'm surprised. Thats what you spend the majority of your time on this thread doing. Remember when we were drafting Barkley because we had Kessler, Hogan, and Stanton on the roster? Yeh, you actually typed those words.

Also don't accuse me of having rose tinted glasses. I'm very critical of this team. But I'm not going to criticise something that only happens in your imagination.

Which throws? Please show me. You are just making s**t up. Don't know why I'm surprised. Thats what you spend the majority of your time on this thread doing. Remember when we were drafting Barkley because we had Kessler, Hogan, and Stanton on the roster? Yeh, you actually typed those words.

Also don't accuse me of having rose tinted glasses. I'm very critical of this team. But I'm not going to criticise something that only happens in your imagination.
If there's a Mayfield's every throw vs Giants video on youtube, I'll post it and jot down all the throws. Let me finish what I'm doing first. I wont forget tho, either tonight or tomorrow night, because my astuteness is being questioned.

I agree with both of you, dont think it was as great as V9 is suggesting and dont think it was as bad as GG is suggesting.

His footwork and composure inside the pocket is tremendous, GG.exe . I dont know how can't recognise this??

While he does get his feet set, he still relies on his arm to make a heap of throws V9x18 , you dont see him step into a whole heap of them, on the throws that he does step into you can clearly see the difference in velocity from the ones he doesn't.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back