Teams Cleveland Browns - GPODAWUND [sic]

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully now the organisation is aligned.

We can see if The Plan works.

At least there cant be anyone trying weasel out in the way Hue Jackson did.

The media is already playing up the "need real football people" angle.

And people are already getting all worked up over the idea of the coaches meeting with the analytics teams to discuss the game plan. Or an analytics guy having a headset on game day. Even though both things are done successfully by other teams.

I'm now more interested in who joins the coaching staff, as opposed to the GM. Sounds like Mike Priefer will be back, which is good. Apparently Steve Wilks would have been the DC choice for Stefanski last year, so he might stick around. I wouldn't be opposed to him having another year with (hopefully) a healthy secondary and a non suspended Garrett. Although maybe Stefanski now brings George Edwards across with him. And makes it a Viking trifecta if Klint Kubiak doesn't just get promoted into the OC spot over there.

Not sure why Stefanski signing causing angst. Very tough judging him on weekend against the best D in the league. What’s so special about McDaniels? Sacked at Denver and turned his back on the Colts and left his assistants hanging.

Not sure why Stefanski signing causing angst. Very tough judging him on weekend against the best D in the league. What’s so special about McDaniels? Sacked at Denver and turned his back on the Colts and left his assistants hanging.

It's mostly just causing angst amongst twitter experts and trolls. The only other people who have anything bad to say about Stefanski are depressed Viking fans. But it's always fun to see people who couldn't even pick him out of a line up saying things like how he isn't a great leader. Maybe we would have been interested in Rivera if he hadn't already agreed to the Washington job, but I'd have much preferred a new guy like Stefanski over any of the other previously fired candidates.

I agree about McDaniels, he's done nothing to earn the right to demand major change. Prove you can coach first.

Good article about what analytics involvement actually means.

As mentioned by Dustin Fox of 92.3 The Fan, the coaching staff would provide game plans to the analytics department and have some meetings with them before games. This is not only smart, but should be expected from a team that is worth over $1 billion that is trying to compete each and every week, because other teams are already doing it.

While this is being interpreted as micromanagement, it's actually an incredibly supportive role that just becomes an extension of the coaching staff and only helps them as well as players become more prepared before as well as during the game.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Let's compare a rookie head coach and one of the best coaches ever. That makes sense. Leave the trolling to AC, GG.

Although having said that, this exact approach worked well for Harbaugh, Roman and the Ravens offense.
no hc has to submit his gameplan in to the owners by friday so that the owner can go off with his lawyers and analytics dept to go over it like grade school teachers jotting little notes in, crossing out things in red sharpie, etc before handing it back to the coaching staff (with must do adjustments).

coaches who use analytics already do it themselves DURING the game planning stage, amongst themselves, the whole coaching staff. got nothing to do with the gm, a separate analytics dept, or the owner micromanaging.

thats why hcs in the league demand things like control over the 47, 53, who they can hire/fire, gameplan control etc.

stefanski is young and inexperienced enough hes happy to accept such a job where he HAS TO bow to the dictates of Depodesta as "chief strategy officer", allow himself to be micromanaged by ownership, GM and Analytics Dept (which is a separate branch in the org, not a part of the existing coaching staff like most teams in the nfl).

hes too inexperienced to be hired for what haslam said he was after -- a strong leader of men. he has very little body of work. its obvious hes actually hired because hes happy to learn on the job, take a backseat to depodesta, will have some vet assist hc figure to lean on, wont have much say with the 47, 53, etc.

all im saying chris is....it MIGHT work out well for the browns, but just dont pretend this is normal behavior by an nfl franchise...and dont be gullible about stefanski...he was hired because hes a work-exoerience HC whos happy to take a backseat and be dictated to by owner/gm...whereas a strong vet hc would not be at all (even mcdaniels showed what a strong figure is like - demanding complete organizational change, demanding control with this and that, etc.

a strong leader and experienced hc, vet or not, will be strong minded and my way or hway type. see matt rhule, kliff kingsbury as rooks, were very strong and had a peculiar vision and X and O idealogy.

and vet hc types like marv lewis, jim schwartz, etc, would balk and retract their interest in browns hc job because they are bull headed types insisting on control and owners to back away.

what haslam is doing is kinda crazy...firstly how hes constantly antsy, firing coaches and gms, keeps changing his mind. and this requirement is not normal at all. its what al davis (an actual football mind) would do with his coaches for years, because he was an X and O king, coached in the NFL, Commished the AFL, was a scout, etc. but haslam is not a football mind, nor is depodesta. Theyre just fixated on over-analyticsizing football. and stefanski is ok with that is why he got hired and not because hes some maverick leader of men.

no hc has to submit his gameplan in to the owners by friday so that the owner can go off with his lawyers and analytics dept to go over it like grade school teachers jotting little notes in, crossing out things in red sharpie, etc before handing it back to the coaching staff (with must do adjustments).

Sorry, I didn't realise you were on the inside and knew exactly how it was working. All I know about it is what was written in one very small article.

The Ravens have been open to the fact they have a separate analytics department, which are both involved in game planning during the week and have a headset directly linked to Harbaugh on game day. Realistically, that's probably why we interviewed Greg Roman since he's a part of those game planning meetings. It's probably why we interviewed Jim Schwartz too, since the Eagles are also reported to use analytics more than most.

Not everything should be taken literally. Because one guy says there is a Friday deadline to hand in a game plan, that must be the case? Whereas practically speaking, that more than likely means the game plan that was developed during the week with analytics involvement is to be handed in, so the computer guys can put together the information the coach needs. Not change plays based off what the owner is feeling that week.

Just because the Browns are being more open to the fact, doesn't mean other teams aren't doing the exact same thing as the Ravens.

all im saying chris is....it MIGHT work out well for the browns, but just dont pretend this is normal behavior by an nfl franchise...and dont be gullible about stefanski...he was hired because hes a work-exoerience HC whos happy to take a backseat and be dictated to by owner/gm...whereas a strong vet hc would not be at all (even mcdaniels showed what a strong figure is like - demanding complete organizational change, demanding control with this and that, etc.

I know exactly why Stefanski was hired. I said it the other day, it's about having everyone on the same page.

But, you're confusing being strong minded with leadership. Just because McDaniels was (apparently) demanding things doesn't automatically make him a strong leader. It can just as easily be the exact opposite. Some of the best leaders are the ones who don't feel the need to prove it. It's like saying Donald Trump is better than Barack Obama simply because he won't listen to other people.

If Stefanski can bring the football department and the analytics department together, I would argue that makes him a tremendous leader.

I know my positivity is the yin to AC’s ramblings of a mad man yang. And things will probably end up somewhere in the middle between Super Bowl and 0-16.

But analytics isn’t such a dirty word. I’m looking forward to seeing how it plays out.
i just hope for all browns fans sake that things turn around, continuity and winning or respectable seasons. having FO all on the same page at least is better than power struggles, you can never improve whilever that exists.

i just dont have high hopes that haslam is improving/learning, and cautious on the amount of analytics thats going to be done in cleveland....are they pushing the envelope? or merely lining up with how other orgs are using it?

McDaniels wants complete control because he has a small penis.

Everywhere he's been outside NE he's failed miserably. Hes insecure, wants things completely on his terms because he's afraid the s**t will hit the fan quickly and he wants his people to have his back when it does...he's done absolutely nothing ( in fact the opposite) to prove he can be trusted. He's pretty much Adam Gase version 2.0

If I'm a Browns supporter Im probably elated it was anyone but him.

Hope Stefanski works out but while Haslem is still the owner I feel AC has every right to feel as tho this franchise has been doomed switched.

What move has he actually done that was positive since taking over nearly a decade ago?

I admire Chris' positivity, not sure how he does it, but it's quite amazing.

i think everyone is elated McDaniels didnt get a HC gig...either at the Browns or elsewhere. He has a sniveling rat look about him, probably same personality.

wouldve liked it if they hired Lincoln Riley in the same vein as Cards hiring Kingsbury, and having another form of the Air Raid in the NFL, Haslam shutting up and allowing the HC and GM to grow, giving them 5+ years even if first few years were acclimating years.

I really wouldve liked if they hired Dodds as GM, having learned under Ballard but also probably a big reason why Ballard has been successful because Dodds is THE scouting dude sounding off with him.

Dodds-Riley and no Depodesta. And just giving it 5+ years no matter what. Be patient Haslam.

But itll be interesting to see how this "all on the same page" staff fares now that theres no internal division and power trips.

Colts assistant GM Ed Dodds has declined to interview for the Browns' GM vacancy.
Per NFL Network's Tom Pelissero, Dodds feels he still has "unfinished business" in Indianapolis. It seems Dodds, whose preferred choice for head coach was 49ers DC Robert Saleh, lost interest as soon as Cleveland tapped Kevin Stefanski to replace Freddie Kitchens. With Dodds out of the running, Eagles VP of football operations Andrew Berry has emerged as the clear frontrunner to succeed John Dorsey as the Browns' next GM. He'd be a strong get for the Browns, who squandered their best roster in years en route to a disappointing 6-10 finish in 2019.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Jan 13, 2020, 9:13 AM ET

Remove this Banner Ad

Back