Teams Cleveland Browns - GPODAWUND [sic]

Remove this Banner Ad

Browns signed RG Wyatt Teller to a four-year, $56.8 million contract extension.
Teller, set to become a free agent at the end of the 2021 season, is now signed through the 2025 season. He's started 36 games for Cleveland over the past four years, proving a solid run blocker in the team's run-heavy offense. Pro Football Focus has graded Teller as the league's seventh best run blocking offensive lineman this season. His new deal makes him the second highest paid guard in the NFL.
SOURCE: Mike Garafolo on Twitter
Nov 9, 2021, 8:20 AM ET

Myles Garrett: We didn’t make any adjustments on the sideline

Posted by Charean Williams on November 14, 2021, 7:05 PM EST

If Browns defensive coordinator Joe Woods wasn’t on the hot seat before Sunday, he is now after Myles Garrett‘s postgame comments.

The Patriots scored 45 unanswered points, gaining 452 yards and shutting out Garrett after his early sack.

“We’ve got to go back to the drawing board and see how we can get better, see how we can scheme better, see how we can make adjustments on the fly,” the All-Pro defensive end said, via WKYC. “We never had a chance just because we didn’t make any adjustments on the sideline or when we had time to.”

The Browns entered the day ranked 13th in total defense and tied for 10th in scoring defense. They didn’t get it done against rookie quarterback Mac Jones, who was 19-of-23 for 198 yards and three touchdowns. The Browns sacked Jones twice in the first half, the only two hits they got on him.

“I think we didn’t counter like we are supposed to. We didn’t stop the bleeding and they kept attacking where we were deficient,” Garrett said. “Great play calling. Mac Jones made some great throws. He fit in a couple times across the middle. They were pretty much max protecting and trying to get to the middle of the field, and we didn’t have answers.”

Asked to clarify the Browns not making adjustments on the sideline, Garrett said, “We didn’t make adjustments, as in they kept on scoring, and we weren’t countering them. I mean we need to be better.”

This isn’t the first time Garrett has publicly questioned the defensive coordinator. After a 2018 loss to the Steelers, Garrett called out then defensive coordinator Gregg Williams’ plan. Williams became interim head coach that season before leaving after the season.

Kevin Stefanski says he and Myles Garrett spoke privately about Garrett’s “frustration”

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 15, 2021, 12:21 PM EST

The Browns’ best defensive player was not happy with the defensive play calling on Sunday. On Monday, the Browns’ head coach tried to smooth things over.

Browns defensive end Myles Garrett said after Sunday’s loss to the Patriots that “We never had a chance just because we didn’t make any adjustments on the sideline or when we had time to.”

Head coach Kevin Stefanski said today that he spoke privately with Garrett, understands Garrett’s “frustration,” but will keep the specifics of their conversation private.

Stefanski acknowledged that the Browns didn’t have a good enough plan. That was clear to anyone who saw the Patriots’ 45-7 win.

Baker Mayfield’s wife posts, then deletes, Instagram message that his teammates “should get tougher”

Posted by Mike Florio on November 21, 2021, 9:35 PM EST

On a day when Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield declined to fulfill his mandatory media obligations after a game, his wife voluntarily made a comment on social media. Before deleting it.

Via Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer, Emily Mayfield wrote this on her Instagram story: “No one better say anything bad about Baker Mayfield after this game. I don’t think I have seen toughness like this in a while. Maybe the rest our team should take the hint and get tougher.”

Mayfield has played since Week Two with a left shoulder injury. He has a knee injury and heel injury, too.

That didn’t stop fans from booing Mayfield on multiple occasions on Sunday, as the Browns barely beat the woeful Lions, 13-10. Per Cabot, Mayfield left the field after the game “with his head down and a stern look on his face without celebrating the victory with any of his teammates or acknowledging any of the players on the opposing team.” There also were no handshakes with fans or acknowledgment of them, in any way.

The Browns next play at home in three weeks, hosting the Ravens. Before then, the Browns face at Baltimore next Sunday night and then embark on their bye week.

Baker Mayfield says he doesn’t care about fans booing him

Posted by Michael David Smith on November 22, 2021, 1:10 PM EST

The Browns won on Sunday, but quarterback Baker Mayfield did not play well against a bad Lions defense, and he heard it from Cleveland fans who were not pleased about his play.

But while Mayfield heard boos, he says they don’t bother him. Mayfield said today that fans boo him sometimes and cheer at other times when he’s trying to call signals, so overall he’ll just try to tune them out.

“Those are probably the same fans who won’t be quiet on offense when we’re trying to operate,” Mayfield said. “So don’t really care.”

What Mayfield should care about is his poor play the last two weeks: He completed just 15 of 29 passes for 176 yards, with a touchdown and two interceptions in Sunday’s 13-10 win over Detroit, a week after putting up even worse numbers in a 45-7 loss to New England. The booing won’t stop until Mayfield plays better, and right now he’s not playing well enough to give the Browns much of a chance if they’re playing anyone other than the Lions.

To me it seems like the lockerroom is falling apart. For his wife to go on socials and slam the rest of the team for bot being tough like Baker suggests he confides in her these sorts of thoughts, feels that way, probably even told off his teammates, and the players just have that feeling that Baker feels himself way above them....especially when hes no Peyton Manning or Tom Brady who demands respect and being followed to the ends of the earth BECAUSE they're so elite. More like the defense is the star of the show, they know it, and they're getting pissed off with the offense.

The not tough call tho was probably pointed more at other offensive players, who didnt tough it out like Baker, who have missed games or whove dawdled thru the season like OBJ, why he also was singled out by Bakers wife before...because Baker confides in her. Which is what good couples do. Lean on each other for emotional support. Spouses tho should stay out of it. Imagine if your wife or husband kept calling your boss or other workmates during the week and slammed them for being slack at work

Baker Mayfield blames decision to ditch media obligation on frustration, quibbles over accountability

Posted by Mike Florio on November 22, 2021, 6:41 PM EST

Browns quarterback Baker Mayfield stiff-armed the media on Sunday, after getting booed at home in a 13-10 win over the Lions. On Monday, he met with reporters and discussed, among other things, his decision to not meet with reporters on Sunday.

“I was frustrated among other things,” Mayfield said. “I have never dodged any questions or hid away from that. So it’s not about that. Just frustrated, removed emotions and all that from it. Just decided it was best to wait.”

It’s odd that he’d say he “never dodged any questions,” given that he dodged, you know, all of the questions on Sunday.
“I think that’s what surprised us all, Baker,” the next reporters said, “is that you pride yourself on being ‘that guy’ and being accountable and stepping forward and –”

Mayfield interrupted the question.

“Not one part of that is not being accountable,” Mayfield said. “I would be the first to tell you I played like s**t. It is not about accountable, and I do not owe you guys any of that; I owe that to my teammates and I talked to them so that is what matters.”

But part of the accountability comes from answering to those who serve as the liaisons to the fans. As to that specific type of accountability, Mayfield clearly was not accountable.

That said, maybe it’s better for Mayfield that he didn’t meet with reporters. In 2019, he had some ill-advised interactions with reporters. Maybe he knew that it wasn’t going to go well, so he opted not to do it.

Of course, this doesn’t make it not a violation of the relevant rules. Other players are expected to meet with reporters are a tough game. Mayfield shouldn’t get an exemption simply because he didn’t eel like talking.

Browns consider playing Nick Chubb, Kareem Hunt together

Posted by Michael David Smith on December 6, 2021, 3:34 PM EST

The Browns like their 1-2 punch at running back, but most of the time, Kareem Hunt takes the field when Nick Chubb goes to the sideline. This week, they’re considering some packages with Chubb and Hunt on the field together.

Browns coach Kevin Stefanski said today that he is considering using Chubb and Hunt at the same time.

“Those are all things we talk about,” Stefanski said. “We want to make sure whatever we do is sound in thinking and sound schematically, those type of things. Those are two great players. We’ve got to make sure that they’re involved so that we can be productive in the run game and in the pass game.”

The Browns have scored a total of just 30 points in their last three games, and Stefanski acknowledged that he has to find ways to put more points on the board. That may involve using both of his running backs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The Akron Beacon Journal's Marla Ridenour reports the Browns are "likely" to bring in competition for Baker Mayfield in 2022.

Ridenour floated the idea of Aaron Rodgers signing with Cleveland as the final piece to an otherwise solid roster. That, however, seems exceedingly unlikely, especially if Rodgers propels the Packers to the Super Bowl. Mayfield's four-interception performance against Green Bay on Christmas provided Browns brass with "even more minuses on their ledgers when deciding whether to offer Mayfield an extension with his contract expiring after the 2022 season," Ridenour said. Among the notable 2022 free agent QBs: Andy Dalton, Jameis Winston, Cam Newton, and Ryan Fitzpatrick. The Browns could also acquire a quarterback in the 2022 NFL Draft. Perhaps the Browns could pry Russell Wilson away from the Seahawks as Seattle's Super Bowl window has slammed shut. It's clear Mayfield is not the answer, and the team's window will shut in a hurry if they can't find a serviceable signal caller next season.

SOURCE: BeaconJournal.com
Dec 28, 2021, 9:30 AM ET

Browns reportedly “plan” to move forward with Baker Mayfield

Posted by Mike Florio on January 9, 2022, 9:18 AM EST

As the offseason arrives for the 18 non-playoffs team, the time has come to device, and to leak, plans. Plans to do this. Plans to not to do that. Tentative positions reached for strategic reasons and at all times subject to change.

That’s the most important thing to remember when digesting the ongoing flurry of reports regarding plans and intentions. The smart teams develop and divulge plans deliberately, not haphazardly. They have a specific goal in mind, and it can be as simple as (in the case of an underachieving quarterback entering the option year of his rookie deal) trying to create a trade market.

According to NFL Media, the Browns plan to keep Baker Mayfield for 2022, the final season of his rookie deal. At $18.8 million, it’s a reasonable salary for a fifth year, giving the Browns a chance to see how he plays before making any firm and final decisions.

There’s a chance they’ve already seen enough, however, and that they intend to explore all options without telling the world that they intend to explore all options. If they’ve decided to move on from Mayfield, they would have no reason to reveal that plan. First, they would hurt their leverage in any trade talks if other teams know they’re done with the first overall pick in the 2018 draft. Second, they may not be able to trade him at all. Third, they may be unable to get a replacement on terms they regard as favorable.

That’s the game when it comes to the art/science of negotiating with other NFL teams. The Browns don’t want to start making calls in an effort to find someone to take Mayfield. They want another team to become interested in Mayfield, and to call the Browns first.

Likewise, the Browns don’t want to seem desperate to make a trade or to sign a veteran. There’s a subtlety. A coyness. A detachment that’s needed to get things done the right way.

For the Browns, that starts with getting the word out, through the media outlet they partially own, that they “plan” to keep Mayfield. Then, if they ultimately can’t devise and implement a better approach, they can claim that they planned all along to keep him.

I'd say we overperformed last year, and underperformed this year. It's much easier going into a season without expectations.

It's going to be a long off season, especially now the Cleveland 'media' is upset at being called out for being useless. I'm hoping the Browns just come out early and say Baker is our QB next season so we don't have to put up with daily articles about why he sucks. My opinion is it'd be crazy to move on from him - you just aren't going to get anyone better than him. Not interested in Russell Wilson, Aaron Rodgers isn't coming to Cleveland. Nobody wants Kirk Cousins. I'm all for taking a rookie QB in the middle rounds, but I'd also do that every year.

A healthy Baker Mayfield is good enough to make the playoffs. And as bad as his season finished, he was looking good before his injury - in the whole 6 quarters that he was healthy this year.

For me, the top priority by far this offseason is to rebuild the WR room. Odell is gone, and Landry will either be cut or traded. I think Donovan Peoples-Jones is good enough to be a solid #2 and a deep threat, but it's open from there. We badly need a #1 guy, and our first rounder should fall right around where the WR run will start. Both Ohio State guys look good to me. Otherwise I'm hoping we bring back David Njoku and D'Ernest Johnson - even though I expect they'll want big money and more opportunity respectively. I'd pay Njoku, with the view of getting rid of Hooper in 2023. And try to keep Johnson, again with the view that Hunt might not be there in 2023 either. Better WRs and a healthy QB is really all our offense needs.

On defense, Jadeveon Clowney is the only major question. I'd bring him back, but he'll finally want that big contract - hopefully he realises it's better for him to play opposite of Garrett getting all the attention.

As for Kevin Stefanski, there's no denying he had a bit of a sophomore slump. I think he'll improve again next year. He looked to struggle adapting in game, and in marrying what he wanted us to be with what we actually were - particularly with a struggling QB. But I'm confident he'll bounce back, and we're clearly still in a better position than 2 years ago.

Also, it wasn't that long ago that the Ravens were supposed to dominate the NFL for the next 10 years - and now they're finishing last in the division. And we've never lost to Joe Burrow or Ja'Marr Chase. Going forward I'm more worried about the Steelers and them bringing in a half decent QB.

Browns general manager Andrew Berry said Baker Mayfield would be the team's starter in 2022.
"We fully expect Baker to be our starter and bounce back," Berry told reporters Tuesday. Mayfield's immense 2021 struggles as he dealt with a host of injuries called into question his status as the Browns' quarterback of the future. Probably the team will deflect any questions about Mayfield with this offseason's free agent QB pool lacking any sort of intrigue. He's signed through 2022 after the Browns picked up his fifth-year option.

2017 draft
1 Myles Garrett DE
25 J, Peppers S - starter for NY Giant trades as part of teh Beckham trade
29 D Nojku TE
52 D.Kizer QB - started for one season, regarded as being in the top 4 QB's in the draft
65 L. Ogunjobi DL- starter Bengals

126 H.Wilson CB - Knee injury in rookie mini camp, waived after 2 yeasr without playing a game
160 R.Johnson OL - KC Chiefs practice squad 2022
185 C.Brantley DL -waived after 1 year, Washington waived him in 2021
224 Z. Gonzalez K - Carolina Panthers 2021
252 M.Dayes RB - waived NO Saints 2019

Could be better, could be worse

4 of the first 5 are still starters in the league

Wilson just plain unlucky

Johnson And Gonzalez still in the league

Remove this Banner Ad

Back