Climate Change Arguing

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I mean, if you're literally just looking to make money, I can only hope you would never base it on advice from SRP.
Absolutely. If someone nominates a company and I check their books and business model and it shows promise, I'm happy to buy in as part of a broader portfolio.

There are a number of posters in this thread who are (or at least should be) a lot more in tune with the different businesses who are going to revolutionise the energy market than I am.

I'm just hoping to tap into that intel.

However, after having asked the question a number of times over the past couple of weeks and getting nothing back, I can only conclude two things:

1. The climate change proponents really are not in tune with the market and the options that are out there. They're happy to scream armageddon from the rooftops, but when it comes to telling us exactly what the viable solutions are, and specifically which companies will get us there, they can't tell us.

2. There are not yet any companies out there who we can entrust to march us into the brave new world that is renewable energy.

Which one is it?

mcnulty

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Which one? Who knew at the time whether Apple, Microsoft and Google or any of their myriad of competitors would be the pony to back on.

Nice to say you knew at the time, but who really did? There are no certainties here.

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
Which one? Who knew at the time whether Apple, Microsoft and Google or any of their myriad of competitors would be the pony to back on.

Nice to say you knew at the time, but who really did? There are no certainties here.
I've read on these pages that we've known climate change is a thing for 40 odd years.

But still noone willing to put their money up to be part of the solution after that long?

Why not?

Absolutely. If someone nominates a company and I check their books and business model and it shows promise, I'm happy to buy in as part of a broader portfolio.

There are a number of posters in this thread who are (or at least should be) a lot more in tune with the different businesses who are going to revolutionise the energy market than I am.

However, after having asked the question a number of times over the past couple of weeks and getting nothing back, I can only conclude two things:

1. The climate change proponents really are not in tune with the market and the options that are out there. They're happy to scream armageddon from the rooftops, but when it comes to telling us exactly what the viable solutions are, and specifically which companies will get us there, they can't tell us.

2. There are not yet any companies out there who we can entrust to march us into the brave new world that is renewable energy.

Which one is it?
I spent the last 5 minutes googling wind farm projects for a list of them currently under development in Australia, and then looked up a couple on the ASX which don't seem to invest in anything else other than renewables (IFT, TLT) and the share price growth over the last 2 years or so for both seems quite healthy. There's also a dozen or so other companies of varying sizes which look to be investing in wind farms but predominantly have interests in other sectors, Acciona and AGL for example.

But I really don't see what you're trying to prove with this, perhaps that the climate change proponents in this thread don't invest much or at least don't put their money where their mouth is? Weird flex but okay.

Fadge

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 4, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Collingwood
I spent the last 5 minutes googling wind farm projects for a list of them currently under development in Australia, and then looked up a couple on the ASX which don't seem to invest in anything else other than renewables (IFT, TLT) and the share price growth over the last 2 years or so for both seems quite healthy. There's also a dozen or so other companies of varying sizes which look to be investing in wind farms but predominantly have interests in other sectors, Acciona and AGL for example.

But I really don't see what you're trying to prove with this, perhaps that the climate change proponents in this thread don't invest much or at least don't put their money where their mouth is? Weird flex but okay.
Thanks, nice start.

Will look more closely though notice IFT is a 65% stakeholder of TLT.

Who is everyone else buying a stake in?

mcnulty

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I've read on these pages that we've known climate change is a thing for 40 odd years.

But still noone willing to put their money up to be part of the solution after that long?

Why not?

Why not?

A lot of people are putting their money in. Who to back is an entirely different question.

Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth

Which one is it?
Or im not qualified to give financial advice.....

What i know about stocks could written on the head of a pin.

you had companies that went in hard at the australian market like first solar that lost big coin on a couple of projects deliberately with a long view to get their very clever modular designs out there

they are killing it - but ive no idea when to invest - if you can invest in them here as they are a seppo mob.

Erick_the_Greatest

Senior List
Oct 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
So let's do nothing. It's clear that's what you want.

And before you come back with "I just think it's important to make sure we don't exacerbate the situation by choosing the wrong approach" (like it's still 1993, not 2020), read this and then let me know if there's anything you don't understand.

And stop wasting everyone's time with pathetic little objections.

And I’m the one who got banned from threads 🤦‍♀️

Head to Bay 13. I started a thread in your honour. Would love your input 😂

Jul 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Kidding, right?
Indeed it is, particularly in this matter. Most of us are not scientists, there are conflicting scientific opinion particularly with what to do going forward. People make up their own minds, like it or not.
Sure some view the world through narrow ideologigal glasses, most dont, & my comments relate more specifically of that cohort.
What we need to do going forward is one thing. Reduce emissions. Anything else will see us perish. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen you state that essential fact, because you’re always too concerned about harsh facts upsetting the poor widdle deniers.

Jun 5, 2008
In amongst it all
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Queensland State of Origin

you had companies that went in hard at the australian market like first solar that lost big coin on a couple of projects deliberately with a long view to get their very clever modular designs out there

they are killing it - but ive no idea when to invest - if you can invest in them here as they are a seppo mob.

Your definition of “killing it” is very interesting.

Over a decade this company First Solar has lost 83% of its total capital value and pays absolutely zero dividends.

Its the equivalent of owning an investment property in 2008 worth a million and is now worth $170,000 and is rented out for free.

As Gordon Gecko would say it’s a dog with fleas.

AM

The standard you walk past is the one you accept
Aug 18, 2006
Here there and everywhere
AFL Club
Geelong
100%
I’ve always said it’s real, and has been for Millenia. Think of those two words in isolation “Climate Change” which used to be global cooling then global warming now it’s any weather event that occurs all under the one umbrella of Climate Change.

What I do question is the ever changing predictions and the scare tactics by SJWs like extinction rebellion and that girl who had her childhood ruined.
Think you missed the point. Always find folk who get shouty with the practiced terms of the anti science death cultists like 'alarmist' 'virtue signalling' 'Armageddon' et al, along with personal attacks on the likes of Greta Thunberg, but who claim to believe in the effects of climate change intriguing.

As I said in my earlier post, it's as if you want a bit each way. Sure there's climate change but the effects aren't that pressing so leave me alone so I can continue with my profligate lifestyle. If that consigns future generations to a life of hell, well, so be it.

The science on the matter from a plethora of authoritative organisations has been consistent for ages it's just that it doesn't suit your agenda.

Jun 5, 2008
In amongst it all
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Queensland State of Origin
Think you missed the point. Always find folk who get shouty with the practiced terms of the anti science death cultists like 'alarmist' 'virtue signalling' 'Armageddon' et al, along with personal attacks on the likes of Greta Thunberg, but who claim to believe in the effects of climate change intriguing.

As I said in my earlier post, it's as if you want a bit each way. Sure there's climate change but the effects aren't that pressing so leave me alone so I can continue with my profligate lifestyle. If that consigns future generations to a life of hell, well, so be it.

The science on the matter from a plethora of authoritative organisations has been consistent for ages it's just that it doesn't suit your agenda.

I’m not disagreeing with you. Maybe you’re looking too hard for conflict in any comment that isn’t a pro climate change “let’s shut the coal power stations down now”circle jerk.

Profligate lifestyle? In an egocentric kind of way I’m flattered, but I disagree. I’m just waiting for those solar batteries to come down in price to reduce my profligacy. Meanwhile I’ll stick with the solar panels and continue to use electricity timers to use my main appliances during the day.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
saying is that climate change is real but I don't want to give away any of my affluent/comfortable lifestyle

Flying in & out of Davos on their private jets at Davos AM, they are very easy to name.
Lots of hypocrisy in the space.

Some companies are floated to make the money from the float, not necessarily the business on going, one time Collingwood sponsor Mini Skips comes to mind: floated MiniSkips in mid 85 - the market cap grew from 3m to 130m in 12 months.
Same crew repeated the trick in mining.

Got a name for a seppo mob Al?
Lost my faith in the horses at Flemington.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
What we need to do going forward is one thing. Reduce emissions. Anything else will see us perish. I don’t believe I’ve ever seen you state that essential fact, because you’re always too concerned about harsh facts upsetting the poor widdle deniers.

Indeed I'm across my views thanks, and it'd be easy for you to deny, deny the damage your constant overegging does to acceptance of a need for more action on climate change.

Sep 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco
The only bigger fool than Mark Latham is someone who would repost his garbage unironically.

OK Doomer.

How many times have you taken a potshot at me on a number of different subjects and then run away with your tail between your legs when I've pointed out the idiocy of all your BS?

I'm still waiting for you to grow a pair and respond to these for example :arrowright: #651, #1,523, #1,712, #1,249, #3,453, #3,490, #4,439 & #5,576. No rush.

Sep 15, 2011
AFL Club
West Coast
OK Doomer.

How many times have you taken a potshot at me on a number of different subjects and then run away with your tail between your legs when I've pointed out the idiocy of all your BS?

I'm still waiting for you to grow a pair and respond to these for example :arrowright: #651, #1,523, #1,712, #1,249, #3,453, #3,490, #4,439 & #5,576. No rush.
Ooh, my first stalker, I’m flattered. Most of those don’t include questions, by the way.

Lebbo73

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 20, 2014
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Liverpool
So let's do nothing. It's clear that's what you want.

And before you come back with "I just think it's important to make sure we don't exacerbate the situation by choosing the wrong approach" (like it's still 1993, not 2020), read this and then let me know if there's anything you don't understand.

And stop wasting everyone's time with pathetic little objections.

Carbon emissions are 50 million tonnes per year lower than when Labor was last in power. Not that I believe in the carbon cult but stop with the crap that we’re doing nothing.

Sep 23, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Subiaco
Ooh, my first stalker, I’m flattered.

Stalker? Nah. You're too lightweight to bother with stalking. A simple site search of posts authored by me quoting your name (i.e. responding to more of your BS) was all it took. A few minutes out of my Saturday arvo.

Most of those don’t include questions, by the way.

Did I say they did? In any case, 5 of the 8 did. They are all just examples where I called you out on your BS and you had no rebuttal to offer.

Last edited:
Jun 30, 2009
Deroesfromgero
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
east perth
Flying in & out of Davos on their private jets at Davos AM, they are very easy to name.
Lots of hypocrisy in the space.

Some companies are floated to make the money from the float, not necessarily the business on going, one time Collingwood sponsor Mini Skips comes to mind: floated MiniSkips in mid 85 - the market cap grew from 3m to 130m in 12 months.
Same crew repeated the trick in mining.

Got a name for a seppo mob Al?
Lost my faith in the horses at Flemington.
First solar

Back