Politics Climate Change Paradox (cont in part 2)

Should we act now, or wait for a unified global approach

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
The fossil fuel industry at least pays a lot of money back to the government if i'm not mistaken which everyone benefits from.

If you're going to strip away the backbone of our economy, what are you going to replace it with?

You are ignoring the economic benefits of a renewable energy industry. Plenty of new jobs - more than coal/gas has currently.

Renewables + storage is cheaper than dirty fossil fuels now, it makes sense.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
The younger generation deserve a seat at the table, it will effect them the most.

Lots of her fans are reaching voting age, many are already there. It would be stupid to keep ignoring them.

The current economy isn't working for them either, if you haven't noticed.

Who are not listening to their kids OR is it a convenient use of an easily led kid revelling in her own importance. Nadia Comaneci was the perfect 10, but coming down to reality was not pretty.

Sep 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Who are not listening to their kids OR is it a convenient use of an easily led kid revelling in her own importance. Nadia Comaneci was the perfect 10, but coming down to reality was not pretty.

I listen to my kid.

It's interesting that you use a gymnast analogy while performing mental gymnastics. Nice touch!

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
You are ignoring the economic benefits of a renewable energy industry. Plenty of new jobs - more than coal/gas has currently.

Renewables + storage is cheaper than dirty fossil fuels now, it makes sense.

Thats why China are still building coal power stations - perhaps 1+1 = 2 in China. Most of our renewable infrastructure is being purchased from China, so its not a supply issue in play here.

The need for coal goes well past 2050 & those fear mongering over jobs arent doing their chances of winning an election any time soon. You do need to make sense.

Aug 14, 2011
Trafalgar
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Mclaren Mercedes F1
The naysayers in our government are far more radical than Thunberg. They're global outliers.

Thats true across our politics. The outliers get the headlines. The solution for Australia can accomodate both renewables & dispatchable power without suffering the power shortages that UK decision making process have delivered for the coming winter.

Lets not make our power costs any higher than need be. Now that is a challenge when renewables are cheaper, but cant keep the lights on.

Jan 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
$350 billion per year export income? What sort of renewable energy will we be exporting?

The harsh reality is that we face the prospect of going from being a wealthy country to a poor one. Most of what we have today is on the back of mining. Apparently we should be ashamed of this.

Sep 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Are you willing to have a reasonable discussion or not?

You started the discussion by dissing Greta. I see her as the voice of youth, finally they are been represented.

My position is that Morrison has more power than Greta.

Balance of power is very much on topic, that's the paradox.

Jan 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
You started the discussion by dissing Greta. I see her as the voice of youth, finally they are been represented.

My position is that Morrison has more power than Greta.

Balance of power is very much on topic, that's the paradox.

If you're suggesting that an unhinged teenager with no qualifications should hold more power than a world leader, then perhaps our discussion does need to end here... gee whiz!

Sep 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
If you're suggesting that an unhinged teenager with no qualifications should hold more power than a world leader, then perhaps our discussion does need to end here... gee whiz!

I'm suggesting that she helps balance that power.

You mention unhinged, yet Morrison is the one stoking a war with China.

Fossil fuels are finite, change is not. Adapt or die. As we've seen with the carbon tax, resisting it hasn't helped us adapt to the new world, it just meant we lost control of the mechanism to other countries.

Is mining it and selling it but not using it ourselves to provide base-load power ok then?

It's just that other countries seem to want it and are prepared to pay top dollar. And not just for coal.

Australia is among the top five producers of most of the world's key mineral commodities, being:
  • the world's leading producer of bauxite, alumina, rutile and tantalum.
  • the second largest producer of uranium, lead, ilmenite, zircon and lithium.
  • the third largest producer of iron ore, and zinc.
Is mining these things ok?

How long is coal going to last in Australia?

1,231 years

Coal Reserves in Australia

Australia has proven reserves equivalent to 1,231.3 times its annual consumption. This means it has about 1,231 years of Coal left (at current consumption levels and excluding unproven reserves).

So what is the country going to base the economy on?

Sep 17, 2019
AFL Club
Richmond
Greta is Antifa.

1634007335358.png

Ima help her fight the fascists.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back