Politics Climate Change Paradox (cont in part 2)

Should we act now, or wait for a unified global approach

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marcel Proust

"Oohh WADA ooga booga" {Jul 11 2013}
Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
In the summer of 1974-1975 (southern hemisphere), Australia suffered its worst recorded bushfire, when 15% of Australia's land mass suffered "extensive fire damage". Fires that summer burnt an estimated 117 million hectares (290 million acres; 1,170,000 square kilometres; 450,000 square miles).

Alarmism and exaggeration don’t help anyone. Did you know that tourists don’t want to come here because they were told the whole of Australia was burnt to a crisp? Bushfires are part of this land and always have been. We should be wiser now in how we deal with them.

By 2040, those conditions – temperatures 1.5C above normal, contributing to the worst bushfire season the east coast has ever seen – will be average. By 2060, on current projections, it would be considered “exceptionally cool”.
The 2019-20 fire season, dubbed “black summer”, will become the norm.
It’s a grim future that has turned Greg Mullins, the longest-serving fire commissioner in Australia, into a climate campaigner.
In 50 years of firefighting I had never seen fires like I did last summer. Australia must take climate change seriously | Greg Mullins
“It’s gonna be a very, very dangerous place to live – not Australia, planet Earth,” Mullins says. “I’m deeply worried about my grandsons and what they’re inheriting from us.”

1634731043001.png

Last edited:

The Passenger

The passenger, I am...
Veteran 10k Posts 30k Posts Sensible Type WCE Wings Guernsey
Mar 25, 2003
It's interesting to see views in the United states rural community starting to come around on the back of some of tough years in the field. These are the communities that are on the front line.

The United states farmers and ranchers alliance have been quite vocal in the lead up to this latest climate conference.

This change in mindset started a couple of years ago.

But this meeting represented a change. It was hosted by the U.S. Farmers and Ranchers Alliance, a group made up of the heavyweights in American agriculture. It brought together three secretaries of agriculture, including the current one, Sonny Perdue, among an A-list of about 100 leaders that included the president of the American Farm Bureau Federation — a longtime, powerful foe of federal action on climate — and CEOs of major food companies, green groups and anti-hunger advocates.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
A huge hole opened in the Arctic's oldest, thickest ice in May 2020, a new study revealed. Scientists previously thought that this area of ice was the Arctic's most stable, but the giant rift signals that the ancient ice is vulnerable to melt

---

Last edited:

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Worst fires in Australia historically - will apparently be normal in 20 years

Heed the Black Saturday Royal Commission and carry out the prescribed burning. Not one-third of the prescribed burning.

Area burned globally by bushfires is decreasing at 1.6% a year. For all the severity of our local ordeal in 2019-20, this is not a climate-driven issue.

Last edited:

Footy Time

Senior List
Sep 1, 2021
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Heed the Black Saturday Royal Commission and carry out the prescribed burning. Not one-third of the prescribed burning.

Area burned globally by bushfires is decreasing at 1.6% a year. For all the severity of our local ordeal in 2019-20, this is not a climate-driven issue.
You're correct, but agenda-driven people will blame climate change everytime we have a bushfire, even when arsonists start them.

Ron The Bear

Up yer arse, AFL
30k Posts 10k Posts
Jul 4, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
You're correct, but agenda-driven people will blame climate change everytime we have a bushfire, even when arsonists start them.

One of the great successes of the narrative builders has been to conflate all sorts of natural phenomena with climate in the minds of the public. The time-poor do not stop to consider if these are really human-caused disasters, they just go with the general feel that yeah, there's been a lot of bad stuff happening lately, I've seen it on the news, we should do something.

It's a living planet. The recent earthquake felt keenly in Melbourne should be a reminder of that.

It's all there in a recent IPCC report - "low confidence" in any trend for drought, floods, hurricanes.

By 2040, those conditions – temperatures 1.5C above normal, contributing to the worst bushfire season the east coast has ever seen – will be average. By 2060, on current projections, it would be considered “exceptionally cool”.
The 2019-20 fire season, dubbed “black summer”, will become the norm.
It’s a grim future that has turned Greg Mullins, the longest-serving fire commissioner in Australia, into a climate campaigner.
In 50 years of firefighting I had never seen fires like I did last summer. Australia must take climate change seriously | Greg Mullins
“It’s gonna be a very, very dangerous place to live – not Australia, planet Earth,” Mullins says. “I’m deeply worried about my grandsons and what they’re inheriting from us.”

View attachment 1264616
Is he related to Tim “our dams will never be full again” Flummery, by any chance?

Jan 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
And there is not evidence it's all getting far worse?

Let's hope your right about the supercharged future regular fires

So you go from ridiculing Covid-19 to believing this sh1t. Are you serious?

A lot of the so called evidence is grossly exaggerated and supported with a healthy dose of alarmist language.

Marcel Proust

Sep 6, 2018
#BigBigSound
AFL Club
Richmond
So you go from ridiculing Covid-19 to believing this sh1t. Are you serious?

A lot of the so called evidence is grossly exaggerated and supported with a healthy dose of alarmist language.

I don't 5hink I have been making fun of the pandemic but I do find the police state concerning and other factors interesting

Jan 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The massive fires have been happening all over the Northern Hemisphere as well. Canada hitting 49.6 degrees is not ******* normal.

These deniers have got their head in the sand, ******* morons.

I don't think too many people would argue the idea of "climate change". But when we start talking "man made climate change" and the extent of influence we have on our climate is a different story. Then there's the political motives behind all of this.

But climate change on this planet has been happening forever. A never ending cycle of warm periods followed by cool periods when man made emissions wasn't even a thing.

mcnulty

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yes but there has to be a mechanism. The planet doesn’t just decide to warm up for no reason.

This argument has been going around forever and scientists have been looking high and low for a mechanism other than atmospheric carbon concentrations to explain the current warming trend. Haven’t found it.
1634773554602.png

Jan 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
If you're denying ACC because you're making a crust on it I can understand although wish they'd be a little more honest about it, if you're denying ACC because you've "done your own research:", you are stone cold f***ing idiot.

Would you have to be a stone cold f***ing idiot to keep believing without question all of these alarmist climate predictions even though not one of them has ever come close to eventuating over the past 50 years?

What does it take to finally call bullsh1t on all of this?

Jan 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Prince Charles

2009 - " The best projections tell us that we have less than 100 months to alter our behaviour before we risk catastrophic climate change ".

2015 - "Prince Charles is warning that there are only 35 years left to save the planet from climate disaster, which represents a 33-year extension of his
previous deadline."

LOL

mcnulty

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Prince Charles

2009 - " The best projections tell us that we have less than 100 months to alter our behaviour before we risk catastrophic climate change ".

2015 - "Prince Charles is warning that there are only 35 years left to save the planet from climate disaster, which represents a 33-year extension of his
previous deadline."

LOL
Straw man stuff mate. Who listens to Prince Charles about anything?

The actual IPCC report is actually a pretty sober document, with degrees of certainty and confidence levels. Why don’t you start here:

Jan 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
The actual IPCC report is actually a pretty sober document, with degrees of certainty and confidence levels. Why don’t you start here:

Of course it is.

This is the same IPCC that claims to be completely non biased yet trots out an unhinged child in front of world leaders and retweets Extinction Rebellion.

Not one dissenting view has ever been given the chance to address world leaders at one of their conferences.

"It's simply not up for debate"

Well sorry, that's just not how science works.

mcnulty

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Of course it is.

This is the same IPCC that claims to be completely non biased yet trots out an unhinged child in front of world leaders and retweets Extinction Rebellion.

Not one dissenting view has ever been given the chance to address world leaders at one of their conferences.

"It's simply not up for debate"

Well sorry, that's just not how science works.
What’s the debate? Again if you can propose a mechanism for the current warming trend, why not present it? A case needs to be made.

Certainly there should be debate around how mitigation should occur, but the debate around whether mitigation should occur is essentially over.

Jan 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
What’s the debate? Again if you can propose a mechanism for the current warming trend, why not present it? A case needs to be made.

Certainly there should be debate around how mitigation should occur, but the debate around whether mitigation should occur is essentially over.

And we get accused of having our head in the sand... there is a lot of debate our there amongst scientists but it's often harder to find because it mostly gets swept under the carpet.

Some of the more robust debates I've found have been in the comments sections of scientific articles where i've seen results of experiments questioned, predictions from modelling etc

But most people are only interested to hear what Greta has to say next...

mcnulty

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 18, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
there is a lot of debate our there amongst scientists but it's often harder to find because it mostly gets swept under the carpet.
About whether ACC is actually occurring? Very little. In terms
of published, peer reviewed literature it’s incredibly one way.

Again I ask, if not the CO2 what is currently driving temperatures up?

Jan 2, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
About whether ACC is actually occurring? Very little. In terms
of published, peer reviewed literature it’s incredibly one way.

And I wonder why this is the case? How many climate change organisations have popped up around the world over the last 30 years or so? They depend on ACC for funding.
Universities depend on the government for funding so they tow the line.
If you dare to present a different view like the NIPCC for example, you are basically abused regardless of how accurate the statements are. Heaven forbid if you are a media organisation and air anything that opposes the narrative. Hence why they wouldn't.
Basically as a climate scientist, if you don't support ACC, you don't get paid. No one wants to employ you or fund your study. Prove to me otherwise!

Again I ask, if not the CO2 what is currently driving temperatures up?

I heard quite some time ago now that there are over 100 factors that influence climate on our planet. We have some influence over about a handful of these. There is still debate over whether CO2 is the driver or is driven by climate change.

I'll ask you a question

If we currently have about 420ppm of CO2 in our atmosphere, how much should we have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back