Opinion Climate change

Remove this Banner Ad

Again, expenses that are PARTIALLY artificially inflated by regulatory bodies.

Costs are also inflated by their bespoke nature. Try getting Ford to build you a completely customised one-of-a-kind hatchback for the same price as a production line Festiva.

Last edited:
Bingo. Guaranteed we’ll be hearing the same sh¡t in 2036.

Also, nuclear technological advances that would’ve made it cheaper, safer and more abundant (as with anything with global takeup) have been completely stunted by decades of irrational fears and the active smear campaign by organisations such as Greenpeace.

So we currently enjoy a status quo where the planet is careening towards being irreparably f***ed, with zillions of tons of fossil fuel emissions (including radioactive coal ash) being pumped into our atmosphere and oceans daily, while people have been convinced that how to store the relatively amoebic amount of nuclear waste is the worse problem.

We dig the s**t up anyway and export it to god knows where, it only makes sense to use it ourselves to provide sustainability for our country rather than whore our land out.

We digthe sh*t up anyway and export it to god knows where.

It’s not unlike the frothing resistance to the Kimba low-level waste storage site.

Should we just leave it where it is now? Dotted around hospital and University basements and goodness knows where?

It’s not unlike the frothing resistance to the Kimba low-level waste storage site.

Should we just leave it where it is now? Dotted around hospital and University basements and goodness knows where?

Much of this country is going to be full of great big holes in the ground and empty tunnels in the middle of nowhere uninhabitable wasteland the likes of which George Miller would find a bit too rough for the next Mad Max film, but securely storing fragments of waste safely in these sort of locations, as the rest of the world is already doing in more picturesque, life filled environments, is an affront to mother earth?

Much of this country is going to be full of great big holes in the ground and empty tunnels in the middle of nowhere uninhabitable wasteland the likes of which George Miller would find a bit too rough for the next Mad Max film, but securely storing fragments of waste safely in these sort of locations, as the rest of the world is already doing in more picturesque, life filled environments, is an affront to mother earth?

But an ISIS might fly a jet into it 🤪

Is there more wind in the world now? Probably a stupid question, but I feel that so often the weather can be described as windy much more often than a deacde or two ago.

Nearly everyone on this forum has a stiff for nucular. It's still not a renewable resource. Why?

SA is already there and is able to exceed capacity through renewable energy. Tas does the same with hydro.

Why would you bother with nuclear plants when you could put that into renewable which have less risk, don't require uranium and don't produce toxic waste

Is there more wind in the world now? Probably a stupid question, but I feel that so often the weather can be described as windy much more often than a deacde or two ago.

Well there are more windmills so wind production is increasing in many places. Some of those mills can produce upwards of 70 winds per hour.

not strictly climate change, altho polluting the air is a change to the climate in a way. really horrible.

this is partially what i’m referring to when i say climate change is killing us right now though, fossil fuel pollution is really bad mkay.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

not strictly climate change, altho polluting the air is a change to the climate in a way. really horrible.

this is partially what i’m referring to when i say climate change is killing us right now though, fossil fuel pollution is really bad mkay.

Yeah there are lots of places where they are scared of the rain due to its acidity now too.

Scott Morrison says he "did a bit of a jig" this week after the approval of a $16bn gas project that the WA conservation council has called the most polluting fossil fuel development in recent memory. The council says it would create more emissions than Adani and damage Indigenous rock art with "irreversible impacts on Aboriginal heritage".

FMD does this flog ever stop disgracing himself?

He's only disgracing himself to those who don't vote for him, ie, the minority. Most of the country will be fine with it.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

The majority are actually on board with climate these days. It's not a popular position for him to drag the chain on, he just does it to appeal to the Matt caravan types and Queenslanders of the LNP.

I think if you took a straw poll of the Australian population they wouldn't be in favour of a monster gas project that's going to release 900 billion tonnes of CO2 into the atmosphere.

I think that's optimistic.

How come?

https://www.lowyinstitute.org/publications/climatepoll-2021

POLLING | 26 MAY 2021
CLIMATE POLL 2021
Climate Poll 2021 by the Lowy Institute reports the results of a nationally representative survey on attitudes to climate change

NATASHA KASSAM, HANNAH LÉSER
KEY FINDINGS
Several key findings in this new poll show overall concern about climate change has increased for Australians in 2021. Six in ten Australians (60%) say ‘global warming is a serious and pressing problem. We should begin taking steps now, even if this involves significant costs’, with a 4-point rise from 2020. In a significant 8-point increase since 2019, a majority of Australians (55%) now say the government’s main priority for energy policy should be ‘reducing carbon emissions’.

Nah, your opinions based on your anecdotal experiences with the population of broken Hill is a better indicator
My opinions based on living in Australia for my entire life and the vast majority of that life under a federal liberal government and a greens party that seems to be more invisible than ever, along with Labor.

Believe the reports and polls as much as you like and I hope they do turn out accurate, I just don't share the optimism that people care about things like the environment more than there hip pockets or social standings those damn dole bludgers and tree huggers.

Shits me that we aren't the nuclear dump for the world. Stick it at Woomera or somewhere else remote and geologically stable and charge other nations a s**t load on a 5 year lease basis, keep paying or we'll return it after your current lease is up. A multi-billion dollar industry going begging. Prioritise employment at the sites for the local indigenous people and pay lots of state and federal taxes (that can earmark a fixed % towards Climate change mitigation). Win-win-win structured like this.

Also, nuclear technological advances that would’ve made it cheaper, safer and more abundant (as with anything with global takeup) have been completely stunted by decades of irrational fears and the active smear campaign by organisations such as Greenpeace.
And if nuclear power was much more abundant we'd have a much bigger issue with dealing with the waste.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back