Opinion Climate change

Aug 15, 2015
The cockeyed lowlife of the (Southern) Highlands
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Shits me that we aren't the nuclear dump for the world. Stick it at Woomera or somewhere else remote and geologically stable and charge other nations a sh*t load on a 5 year lease basis, keep paying or we'll return it after your current lease is up. A multi-billion dollar industry going begging. Prioritise employment at the sites for the local indigenous people and pay lots of state and federal taxes (that can earmark a fixed % towards Climate change mitigation). Win-win-win structured like this.

Yes I'm sure the local indigenous folks would be well on board with their sacred lands being used for a toxic dump for the world's nuclear waste in exchange for a few scraps from the table. Good idea.

Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Sep 3, 2002
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Shock horror. And this is just low grade medical waste.
People should be able to register their disapproval of nuclear waste. Which would double as a list of those who can't get any medical treatments using nuclear materials, otherwise they are hypocrites.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chael Sonnen: Moral Champion
People should be able to register their disapproval of nuclear waste. Which would double as a list of those who can't get any medical treatments using nuclear materials, otherwise they are hypocrites.
Anti vaxxers shouldn't be able to receive medical treatment before the vaccinated!

Yes!

Anti nuclear shouldn't be able to receive radiation assisted treatment before the nuclear supporters!

Yehang on what no that's not right

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk

Lawnchair Larry

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
So Albo says a 43% reduction in emissions.
Not forty-one, not forty- two; nor is it forty- four or even forty-five.
The fellow is jostling his tossle to suggest that sort of precision. I would expect a number ending in a "0" or a "5" at best - 40%, 45% or even 50%.
Stop performing political w***ery on this important issue.

Astronema

im gay (they/them)
Sep 17, 2020
Victoria
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I saw it recently stated that the purpose of the settler colonial project that is Australia is to mine every bit of coal and destroy every indigenous landmark in the process.

I think this is how we have to look at it as activists, or even merely as those who don’t want the land we live on destroyed.

There is bipartisan support for destroying indigenous cultural sites in order to frack or mine them, there is bipartisan support for doing absolutely nothing towards reducing emissions. The best either of our major parties have to offer is a token mention of technology that will solve the problem, while all research has been defunded into the ground.

It’s a remarkable horror show, but it is the nightmarish reality of our situation. I don’t know exactly how we fight back and the state is more than willing to create more and more laws designed to fight climate protestors and lock them in prisons. We’ve seen this as a direct response to the actions of very brave protesters in NSW who have held up coal trains and the like.

It is a brutal reality to accept, and I don’t think many of us are able to fully internalise just how screwed we really are.

“To struggle is to be human” and I believe that we will, I just hope there’s a future where the destruction of the land that sustains us ends.

Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yesterday finished my 5 day stint on a nearby bushfire at Tullah. 64 hrs worked in 5 days. A few structures were lost in the township but luckily no houses burnt.

The west coast of Tasmania is normally one of the wettest locations in the country with average rainfall of around 2000-4000mm per year. This January we have had 9mm. Running at about a 70mm deficit vs the long term average.

This is a map of lightning strikes in the last 24 hrs. The southwest is Tasmania's Wilderness World Heritage Area, home to Gondwanan rainforest that doesn't recover from fire. Once it burns, it's gone. Very little rain has fallen thus far with these strikes.

It's too early to know yet as spotter flights haven't gone around, but we could be looking at another massive fire seasons with tens of thousands of hectares of vegetation burnt. or worse.

meanwhile the centre of Australia is flooded. If you're still saying climate change isn't real you can get all the way ****ed.

1643259942431.png

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Another day, another thunderstorm warning.

Tasmania can have some of our rain. This is ****ed and not good for me. About once in the last ten times it has rained has it been anything like normal rain. It's all been a storm.

Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Another day, another thunderstorm warning.

Tasmania can have some of our rain. This is f’ed and not good for me. About once in the last ten times it has rained has it been anything like normal rain. It's all been a storm.

we're not getting it so far. of the forecast 10-20mm i think we've got about 6mm.

that's it until late next week when there might be a few showers. on the west we should crack driest january on record by a good margin.

the usually dry north and east coast of tas have been belted with rain meanwhile.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
we're not getting it so far. of the forecast 10-20mm i think we've got about 6mm.

that's it until late next week when there might be a few showers. on the west we should crack driest january on record by a good margin.

the usually dry north and east coast of tas have been belted with rain meanwhile.
The Commodore was floating earlier today.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
When I started to feel traction under the wheels again it was the most exhilarated I'd felt in a very long time.

Apr 27, 2008
The 'Yabba
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
AAAANOTHER thunderstorm warning for tomorrow.

I don't wanna sound like a queer or nothing but these storm warning every second day are killing me and no good for my anxiety.

I mean sure the world on fire with continuous 40 degree days for months wasn't any better but at least it wasn't triggering worrying that the house will flood or fall apart or I'll get stuck in a flash flood.

Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
AAAANOTHER thunderstorm warning for tomorrow.

I don't wanna sound like a queer or nothing but these storm warning every second day are killing me and no good for my anxiety.

I mean sure the world on fire with continuous 40 degree days for months wasn't any better but at least it wasn't triggering worrying that the house will flood or fall apart or I'll get stuck in a flash flood.

We ended up with a tiny trickle of rain. 15mm for the month.

The fire I was at is still going, but now there's also half a dozen more going on the west/southwest. These are burning in remote inaccessible areas. Mostly small ATM but a hot windy day and it'll get messy.

Waterbombing aircraft can knock it down while small but it needs crews on the ground to finish it off, because it burns underground in organic soils. Unfortunately Tassie has a tiny firefighting capacity..

Jun 21, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Maggies, Spurs, Raiders?
So monsoon season has moved a few degrees south and now is in central Australia. While western Tasmania is in drought conditions. Hmmm normal

Severe thunderstorm warnings for central SA yet again
Nope. Snowstorms in USA so planet isn't getting hotter

PAFC04

Premiership Player
Mar 20, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Anything in Black'n'White
Climate change to me is creating a new term "Displacement", displacement of communities hit with rising sea levels, displacement of weather patterns. Around 20 years ago, a boss of mine who is pretty knowledgeable on climate said to me that the weather pattern will slowly shift. The tropical weather is heading south he indicated to me then.

Those who doubt climate change, should talk to countries who are combating the rise in sea levels in the pacific and one state especially is the state of Louisiana that will be the next part of land that will be under the sea by 2050.

We are seeing this today and I had notice over the 40 years that the changing of the climate is real. Those that are over 50 would recognize the change also as they are the ones who have lived through this change. Anyone younger than 30 wouldn't know the difference in climate other than what they exposed to today.

Last edited:
Aug 15, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Climate change to me is creating a new term "Displacement", displacement of communities hit with rising sea levels, displacement of weather patterns. Around 20 years ago, a boss of mine who is pretty knowledgeable on climate said to me that the weather pattern will slowly shift. The tropical weather is heading south he indicated to me then.

Those who doubt climate change, should talk to countries who are combating the rise in sea levels in the pacific and one state especially is the state of Louisiana that will be the next part of land that will be under the sea by 2050.

We are seeing this today and I had notice over the 40 years that the changing of the climate is real. Those that are over 50 would recognize the change also as they are the ones who have lived through this change. Anyone younger than 30 wouldn't know the difference in climate other than what they exposed to today.

Not sure about that, I'm under 40 but to me the weather patterns have changed significantly since I was a kid. The numbers of 40+ days in Adelaide have gone up, humidity has gone up, and there are now more storms in summer.

Back