Rumour Climbin’ posts going forward

Remove this Banner Ad

Bizarre question to derail this thread but is there any rule against a player getting on their own teammates shoulders to touch a high ball on the goal line. I've often pondered whether players would consider it.

I would imagine the potential danger to the players would be the main concern here but if it was to win a game of footy, a final perhaps, it seemingly wouldn't be the worst thing to do.

Imagine Alex Pearce getting on Aaron Sandilands shoulders. Easily another 2 feet of reach there.
In today's times ,I'm sure the AFL would just tick this off without providing any clarity.

Last edited:
I find it so interesting how the AFL can make scape goats out of anyone... except the umpires.

It's a free. Easy. Admit your fault and let Essendon try and sue like they do all the time. But enforce it from now on.

The way they put their fingers in their ears and try and save face shows how petulant they are. Is there any greater example of arrested development than men in sport? They carry on like little kids, just not wanting to look silly.

I find it so interesting how the AFL can make scape goats out of anyone... except the umpires.

It's a free. Easy. Admit your fault and let Essendon try and sue like they do all the time. But enforce it from now on.

The way they put their fingers in their ears and try and save face shows how petulant they are. Is there any greater example of arrested development than men in sport? They carry on like little kids, just not wanting to look silly.

They will never, ever admit a single thing where it can be easily argued the result of a match was directly changed either by officiating error or fixing (tanking).

It’s the gambling factor. They won’t risk results being contested by some slimy lawyer building fame and cash through launching a class action of punters against them.

They are in on the gambling thing. Majorly.

Directly - they earn millions every year through product fees from bookies. Plus BetEasy pay millions more to be “official wagering operator”.

And indirectly - their single biggest piece of revenue is TV. The TV stations pay for it with advertising money, which flows through to the AFL in broadcast rights. Bookies are among the biggest advertisers during sporting events.

Given they make the rules of the sport up as they go, it’s easier just to avoid any s**t with stuff like this - even if it is transparently bullshit.

[QUOTE="JezzasOnTheAsphalt, post: 60889811, member: 189076]

Rules are there to be enforced and we are heading down a slippery slope when we start picking and choosing which ones are more important and which ones shouldn't be enforced because they don't matter contextually.[/QUOTE]]
No offence intended but I disagree with the first part of your statement. Rules are not created “to be enforced”. That is a philosophy of arbitrary and pointless control - essentially bureaucracy that doesn’t serve a purpose.

All rules are made essentially to remove or curb a mischief. Any that exist that don’t serve their intended purpose need to be reviewed and ultimately revoked.

Having said that, I agree with your second point which is while they are in place they need to be enforced as stated, not doing so damages integrity of enforcement of every other rule on every other occasion.

Essendon should have been awarded the free. Those were the laws in place when they walked on the field. Now it’s all chaos. Next time and every time I see an umpire award a free I will ask why he wasn’t prepared to assert this new right to discretion which suddenly exists.

Last edited:
Bizarre question to derail this thread but is there any rule against a player getting on their own teammates shoulders to touch a high ball on the goal line. I've often pondered whether players would consider it.

I would imagine the potential danger to the players would be the main concern here but if it was to win a game of footy, a final perhaps, it seemingly wouldn't be the worst thing to do.

Imagine Alex Pearce getting on Aaron Sandilands shoulders. Easily another 2 feet of reach there.
Yes there is a rule for this.

So what would have happened if Myers' kick was going through and was touched on the line by Rampe?
1. One point
2. Free kick
3. Nothing. Circus continues.

So what would have happened if Myers' kick was going through and was touched on the line by Rampe?
1. One point
2. Free kick
3. Nothing. Circus continues.
There’s no rule against it mate, so obviously no free and a circus. Best thing the AFL could have done is to say that there should have been rule in place, there wasn’t and then quickly create one.

There’s no rule against it mate, so obviously no free and a circus. Best thing the AFL could have done is to say that there should have been rule in place, there wasn’t and then quickly create one.

Like many rules, there’s also the issue of interpretation.

Apparently the umpires largely agreed it was a free kick for interfering with the post. It should have been paid. Ie, the officiating umpire got it wrong.

They’ve now been specifically told to change that interpretation in order to not contradict Friday night. Which was an error.

Assuming OP is accurate then I'm pretty sure they will still pay a free kick if they think the player is intentionally shaking the post, as per the current wording of the rule, it's not open season on post shaking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apparently the umpires largely agreed it was a free kick for interfering with the post. It should have been paid. Ie, the officiating umpire got it wrong.

They’ve now been specifically told to change that interpretation in order to not contradict Friday night. Which was an error.
'Apparently'?
How many umps were involved in the discussion you previously mentioned?
If they thought it should be a free was that in the general sense or strictly according to the rule? I think it should be a free, but the way the rule is written I think it's not necessarily a free at the moment, it's open to intetpretation, maybe that's what they thought? How do you know the context of their discussion? You say 'largely', that means it wasn't clear cut. Why is it an error if there are umps on both sides? If they choose to go with one interpretation until they change the rule then why is it an error?

You seem to be twisting it all to be an error because the Bombers are your team. I was going for them too on Friday but accepted the umpires call. Umpires have discretion on threshholds for free kicks. They see holding a hundred times a game but dont pay them all. The ump didn't think it crossed the threshold for intentional shaking or the catch all misconduct.

'Apparently'?
How many umps were involved in the discussion you previously mentioned?
If they thought it should be a free was that in the general sense or strictly according to the rule? I think it should be a free, but the way the rule is written I think it's not necessarily a free at the moment, it's open to intetpretation, maybe that's what they thought? How do you know the context of their discussion? You say 'largely', that means it wasn't clear cut. Why is it an error if there are umps on both sides? If they choose to go with one interpretation until they change the rule then why is it an error?

You seem to be twisting it all to be an error because the Bombers are your team. I was going for them too on Friday but accepted the umpires call. Umpires have discretion on threshholds for free kicks. They see holding a hundred times a game but dont pay them all. The ump didn't think it crossed the threshold for intentional shaking or the catch all misconduct.

Well I wasn’t there. It’s second hand information. Hence “apparently”. Hence it’s on the Rumours board. Hence I attached the “rumours” tag.

I don’t care about last week’s result. It won’t make a difference to our season.

In one respect this information sounds dubious - these types of issues are so few and far between. I can’t seriously believe that the AFL would issue a directive for this lightening strike stuff. Nobody is going to climb a pole this year - AFL have already shown that they will get a fine for it.

Umpires/referees are making absolute clangers in all sports, it's not just football. Just today, in ice hockey a player blatantly flicked the puck by hand to a team mate who scored. Everyone saw it, except the referees. It's what keeps me asking the question, what ARE these people looking at? They miss too many obvious free kicks, but then pick out something so obscure you're still not sure about it, even after it has been explained. Everyone knows you can't climb on the goal post, except Rampe and the 3 umpires apparently. :oops:

Anything that helps the Sharks, and prevents the Blues playing Gloria is fine by me.

Go Sharks!!!!

Well done, If's officially 6 days since an old rule which didnt effect the outcome of the game happened and you are still crying like it robbed you of the victory

So if Gunston has a kick 70m out after the siren you wouldn't care if someone stood 5m over the mark because it wouldn't effect the game?

Yeah it would be covered by this.

17.12 OTHER
A Free Kick shall be awarded against a Player who:

(f) intentionally lifts a Player from the same Team to contest the football;

But if the player is just standing there with no intention to lift, it's not a free if someone climbs them - according to some.
Well technically isn't that what happens anytime someone tries to take a speccie? A free kick isn't paid if someone is climbed on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back