Strategy CLING WRAP - A discussion on Taggers

Remove this Banner Ad

I agree that Cuth, Bews and MOC could all be decent candidates.

However, the best tagger we have on the list may well never be properly fit again. An unhindered Scooter can demonstrably do this role and do it well.

Long odds to see it now after all the injury-ravaged years, though.

A 200k a year tagger can nulify a 800k a year player. Certainly adds value to the team. I'm thinking Bews or guthrie

Bews could be a good option - we know that when he is set a task he will stick to that role, he doesn't seem to concern himself with having to play pretty to be a valuable contributor & in previous seasons he did seem to have the tank to push into the midfield (just not sure how his surgery and issues over the pre-season will have impacted that for this year).

I feel like Guthries ability to tag is as good as Taylor Hunts was... Overrated round these parts

He definitely showed some promise there for sure, but that was a fair while ago now. And it's not like he was consistently used in that role. He switched pretty quickly to midfielder in 2014, and has bounced between there and stints at half back since. May not have helped.

I can only recall his tag on dusty. Did ok. Can’t recall any others though.
I think CG can do plenty of roles very well, but he keeps getting compared to the elite which is unfair.

I think CG can do plenty of roles very well, but he keeps getting compared to the elite which is unfair.
Too many flaws in his game. Backwards and sideways kicks way too much. Panicked hospital handpasses and get’s caught holding the ball way too much. Plus the half arsed tackle attempts. If he could remove all that from his game he could be a good player.

Guthrie plays better when he's given a specific role to play or when he needs to step up. When he's out there just running around on the wing and playing as our 4th or 5th best mid then he's very average and has little impact on the game.

But if the coaches tell him before the match "you're leading the midfield group today" (like Round 21 2017) or "you're taking Cripps/Fyfe/Sloane/Neale out of the game today" then he can be very useful and a key component of the side.
You’re on to something big there Sparkle 😻 That’s an excellent point.

Yes, but you need to get it dead-right - because playing a tagger plays havoc with your defensive setup, because you then have one player whose movements are completely dictated by his opponent.

Needs to be someone who is either a freak like Lingy, or is willing to play right on the edge of the rules like Crowley, De Boer, Tom Bell, Libba.

With dangerfield and selwood running around it's not really an issue. One of those two guys will get tagged every week regardless.

Just quietly before the last two weeks it's the first time I have heard de boer's name since he was at fremantle.

I think a few guys would be good at it Tom Atkins maybe needs a lot more experience at AFL level first. A touch on the slow side but looks very determined and strong enough to be effective but probably won't hurt you at all the other way and could get nailed in transition.

Left field ones Luke Dalhaus has the tank to play on-ball a nuggety strong little frame so will get low and generally be a pest. Think in clearance situations he would be frustrating because very agile and can hold his ground enough to be frustrating good tackler.

Gary Rohan superfast and strong and tall honestly the nightmare scenario for mids. Although he couldn't do it week in week out too many body issues and would get smashed up around clearances. But for the odd week I can see him giving a lot of taller mids who value overhead marking as a strength a lot of trouble. And really good tackler. The type I would throw at a dustin martin just to mix it up.

Scott selwood probably best at it geelong wise can't stay healthy.

MOC, Jed Bews could be worth a look

I did read it's best to have multiple guys capable of playing that role so you can rotate through different types of matchups.

I think a lot of the reason geelongs midfield struggled a bit last year was just too offensive. Dangerfield, ablett, Kelly, Selwood, Duncan are all ball winners and guys that want to kick the footy. Not sure how much was being accountable the other way.

I really miss the days of Ling nullifying the opponents best mid, am all for doing it again IF we have the player to do it which I don't think so currently.
Like the suggestion of OConnor though, he seems to be hard at it and disciplined
MOC could be good, but I just don't think that's in his footy genes.
Wondering if any Gaelic players have become taggers over the years.They seem to instinctively be dashing rebound defenders, none better than my favourites, Tadhg Kennelly and Sean Wight.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back