Player Watch Clinton Young 2007-12

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone know if Clinton Young is fit and likely to be ready for Round 1?

Last I heard he had a minor set back, but back in training. I really didn't realise how important his booming (sometimes waywayrd) penetrating kick was to the team until his absence last year.

SEN Radio 5/2/2010

Alastair Clarkson said:
"He is not too far away. I don't think he will play round 1, but I would anticipate that he would be available to play some sort of footy in the first few rounds of the year."

Some sought of footy would mean Box Hill for a few weeks of its new season.

From training reports he is making good progress.

26/2/2010

I had been in a state of semi-slumber, waiting for a late night telecast, but thought I was still dreaming … I heard Tom Harley mentioning ‘ ….. Clinton Young …… looking up at my lovely big screen, I thought ‘he’s back, my man Clint’, but alas gazing closer, it was a new chum who we could easlily nick name Hyphen.

The commentators agreed with Harley that in Jarrod Kaylor-Thomson there was a similar style and movement to former number 45 Clint … nice baulking opposition players and quick to launch a driving kick along the flanks.

It’s nice for Clinton to have number 11 but he developed his style and reputation wearing clobber 45 and I kind of lament the change. But numbers don’t maketh the man.

I wish young Jarrod well and hope he never has a career interrupting experience like our Dasher has endured for nearly a year now.

I agree with Hawkinspired in his Debutantes thread -

Looked like he had 100 games under his belt. Like the commentators said he is Clinton Young. I've always thought he'd play round one with Bateman out - tonight confirms it for me.

The Debutantes

Good luck, Jarrod, you really impressed last night.

HawksplayersaftersirenvRichmond2182.jpg

Clinton Young

MilneRiley2.jpg

Riley Milne

Mark Evans was on SEN yesterday, and stated that Young would be playing round 1, whether that be Box Hill or Hawthorn.

Clinton is back training with the main group.

Great news.

Thanks, GALON.

HAWTHORN'S long lost midfielder Clinton Young looked like a new recruit in his return to football from a series of hip and groin complaints in a practice match for Box Hill at Whitten Oval yesterday.

The Hawks nursed Young through one quarter against Williamstown - in which he showed promising signs with his lethal left foot passes that were so dominant in the first half of the 2008 premiership win.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/hawks-happy-with-young-return-20100326-r388.html

Some positive news on Clinton Young.

By the sound of things it'll be at least a month and likely more before we'll see him back in seniors. Personally I don't care if he takes until mid season to get back and fully match fit, I'd just be happy to see him play a part in our 2010 campaign... :thumbsu:

Thanks to mustardnugget.

Young's return a step closer The Age April 3, 2010.

Brent Diamond - The Age said:
Young, who hasn't played an AFL match since round five last year, played three quarters for Box Hill Hawks against the Werribee Tigers in which he snared 16 disposals, two marks, two clearances and a goal.
Wow! Not bad Clint. No need to show off though. And I believe the Werribbee Tigers are no slouches at trying out AFL senior players … if you get my drift.

But he appeared to be in full flight in his second game back from what has been described as a solid pre-season.

Okay, Brent, cease letting out Clarko’s secrets.

Hawks development coach and Box Hill coach Brendon Bolton said the 24-year-old was likely to play a full match in Box Hill's VFL season opener against Werribee next Saturday and is expected to make his return the following week.

Pay attention to the Box Hill Hawks forum next Saturday, guys and gals, boys and girls.

Brendon Bolton said:
"I think it's just about getting some game time into him. There's no doubt he's a quality player, he can play at the level whenever required but when you bring them in, you want them really match fit and he's only had a couple of games.

Quality needs to be taken care of. We can appreciate the hard work Clinton has put in to get back from triple whammy debilitating injuries

''He's building up to be able to play AFL again so I wouldn't have thought that he comes in straight away but it won't be far off."

So we Hawks are gong to have pre-match nerves for Clint when the time comes.

Welcome back to the AFL, Clinton. Well before expectations.

It is clear there are so many Hawks fans so pleased for you.

Sam Edmond HS said:
Because if anyone epitomised the Hawks' wretched run since the 2008 decider, it is Birchall's housemate and close friend, Clinton Young.

GrantBirchallClintonYounghousemates.jpg

Image: HawkTawk 2008​

He said there was a noticeable change in Young's mood around their Hawthorn house.
"Last year he was quite flat, but you can definitely see the sort of change in his mindset and his mood, absolutely. He's back doing his chores now, which is good," Birchall joked.

Young, devastating in the first half of the Grand Final against Geelong before succumbing to an ankle injury, was cut down last April by chronic hip and groin problems that sidelined him for almost a year.

So when Clinton and Birch run out tonight against the Pies it’s not only a special time for we fans.

"Last year was very tough for him trying to manage his body and everything and, because we were losing, it was a horror year for him," Birchall said.
"It's just been so frustrating for him. He's sort of didn't know what the injury was, which was the most frustrating part.
"We've really missed him. Just his run and long kicking to 'Buddy' (Franklin) and 'Roughy' (Jarryd Roughead) up forward. He'll certainly be handy for us once he comes back and is fit and healthy."

Which explains Birchall's excitement this week, with the man he calls 'Greyhound' finally set to make his comeback, against Collingwood at the MCG tonight in his first game since Round 5 last year.

Often I wrote here at BigFooty how much Buddy and Roughie were at a loss without Youngy launching his long-bombs into the scoring zone.

"He's managed it really well, he's had all the operations and his body is in pretty good nick," Birchall said.

It will be interesting to see how much game time from the bench Clarko affords Clinton tonight. He might even find himself on the paddock at the first bounce.

Young has spent the past three weeks with Box Hill in the VFL, with his steady progress culminating in a full outing last weekend.
On the cusp of a comeback that must have felt like a lifetime away last year, Young said his friendship with Birchall had been vital.
"We've helped each other through," Young said. "I guess I had a frustrating year last year getting injured, and he had a few problems himself. He's up and going this year and playing well so hopefully I can join him and we can help each other out.
"It's been good for us. We've lived together since 2008 and we've experienced a premiership. It's been a long frustrating time ever since then, but I hope it all pays off and I play well this weekend."
Young said he knew it was "a pretty serious operation and injury, but I knew I'd come back - the question was how long would it take".
"I knew over the pre-season I was a bit behind, but I thought I was progressing well. I was hoping to play some time at the start of the year and to say I'm playing Round 4 is probably even sooner than expected so I'm pretty excited and ready to go."

We’ve been saying sooner rather than later.

While Birchall acknowledges that standard line, he says the Hawks' 2009 year from hell not only fast-tracked his own development, but strengthened his teammates' resolve.

"You definitely learn from a year like that," he said.

"You mature-up a bit and I think a lot of the guys are now a lot stronger from last year, mentally more so I think.

"It's probably not a bad thing that we had a year like that because you can learn a lot from it. You've got to step up. With all those guys we had out you've got to try and step up and try to fill the void."
The resolve has been strengthened and the players have learned from a disappointing 2009. So why there have been reasons for being 1 - 2 on the ladder that resolve and learning will need to come to fruition from tonight and throughout the rest of the season.

Hawthorn's unbeaten run against Collingwood stands at four games, with an average winning margin of 43 points. The Pies have clearly struggled to navigate the Hawks' zone in those meetings, but Birchall has his own take.

"Collingwood is obviously a pretty big club and you just know there's going to be a big crowd and the boys love playing out on the 'G and a good atmosphere," Birchall said.
"I think the boys just love playing in those big games."

Don’t we love thrashing the Pies? Let’s add to that average of 43 point wins.

After making his name as a rebounding half-back, Birchall's role has changed in the early rounds of 2010, playing a bigger part in Alastair Clarkson's midfield rotations after the loss of key personnel.
"The guys we've got out are generally midfielders, so it's enabled me to go in there and do my bit through there. I've enjoyed it, it's been good, getting in amongst it a little bit more," he said.
"I'm just happy to play wherever I'm needed, basically, but I played quite a lot of midfield in juniors."

We have never recovered from losing the Trent factor in defence, have we? But Birch’s role more on the wing means he can launch attacks and step back in defence. The way to go until we really find a replacement for Croady.

And just like his club in 2010, Birchall says there is room for personal improvement.
"I think I can get better, absolutely. I've had a pretty good run," he said.
"Last year was a bit disappointing, a bit inconsistent, whereas this year I've had pretty much a full pre-season and the body is in good nick.
"I think I've got quite a bit to improve but things are going along OK."

We have been looking forward to Birch getting back to the form of his earlier career.

Clintoncelebratesagoal2008.jpg

Dasher celebrates a goal in 2008

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/ne...4/default.aspx

Blues beating a turning point: Young

By Nat Edwards 11:04 AM Mon 24 May, 2010
Young+Johnson_246a.jpg
Clinton Young tackles Carlton's Chris Johnson on Sunday

HAWTHORN midfielder Clinton Young is hopeful his side's win over Carlton on Sunday at Etihad stadium will kick start the Hawks' season.

The Hawks have only recorded three wins in 2010, with Sunday’s demolition of Carlton making it the club’s first back-to-back victories after a tight three-point win over Richmond last week.

“We went through a rough patch and we scraped across the line last week, but we bounced back and played well today,” Young said after his side’s 50-point win.

“I thought there was a fair bit of pressure on us to turn our season around and we’ve done that so far and hopefully we can keep that going.”

Despite being ranked third-last in the League in tackles for the season, the Hawks appeared to be back to their aggressive best on Sunday with a season-high figure of 79.

Young happy to be back in the action
http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/ne...5/default.aspx

Quote:
THE SIGHT of Clinton Young loping down the wing and delivering the ball deep inside 50 is a source of great delight for Hawthorn supporters, and no one's happier than the 24-year-old is to be right back in the thick of the action

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Season 2011

Round 1 vs Adelaide in Adelaide (a loss)

Young tried hard earning 20 kicks, 9 marks, 4 handballs and kicking 2 goals 1 behind and 1 Free for.

Round 2 vs Melbourne at the M.C.G. (a win)

Young was again consistant but off line

16 kicks, 10 marks, 4 handballs (doesnt handball much when he gets the ball does he) 0 goals but 3 behinds and 2 tackles.

2011 Season

Clinton returned to the senior team after an absence of 3 games. Dropped after the round 7 2011 clash against Port Adelaide.

Named as emergency most of the next 3 weeks.

Recalled to the senior team after Chance Bateman suffered a high ankle sprain early in the round 10 game against the Bulldogs.

For round 11 2011 against Fremantle at the M.C.G. Youngy managed 1 goal and 13 kicks, 6 marks, 4 handballs.

Round 12, 2011 vs Geelong @ the M.C.G.

Clinton continues to suffer leg injuries against Geelong.

Did his hamstring during the 2nd quarter and was subbed off in the 5 point loss to Geelong.

5 kicks
2 marks
2 handballs
1 goal 1 behind
1 tackle

2011 Player Review

Clinton Young

Clinton_Young.jpg

Number: 11
Height: 189cm
Weight: 87kg
DOB: 16/2/86
Games: 96

2011 stats
Games: 10
Goals: 5
Behinds: 10
Kicks: 110
Handballs: 42
Marks: 51

SC: 591pts $218,900 (- 91,900)
DT: 659pts $214,600 (- 46,100)

Best & Fairest: 7 votes (33rd)

The Forgotten Man

While looking up the statistics for Clinton today, my first reaction was surprise. I was surprised he had played ten games in 2011. But he was there for the first seven matches, returned for the win against the Dockers in round 11 and then played three utterly forgettable games against Geelong, Collingwood and Brisbane. By Round 16, his AFL season was over.

Young was a critical part of the Hawks surge up the ladder in 2007 and was a critical member of the team than won the flag in 2008. His run, carry and prodigious left foot were almost a signature of the team's success. Injury has stalled his progress, however. Since the day we raised the cup, Young has managed just 32 games, and only 15 in the last two seasons.

With injury comes the risk of being superceded and the rapid rise of Isaac Smith pushes Young back down the depth chart in 2012. Even fully fit, he is no longer a walk up start for the best 22, although you'd suspect he will be prefered to ex-Demon Cam Bruce and perhaps even veteran Chance Bateman when injuries strike the midfield rotation. Pressure from below may come in time from Will Langford.

Young's biggest challenge may not come from those competing for game time, but the plan itself. Gone is the run and gun game of seasons past. The premium places of disposal efficiency may prove the greatest stumbling block for a player whose 62% disposal efficiency will stand out like a sore thumb amongst a brigade of precision passers.

Been Named in the Collingwood Leadership Group.

So I was wondering at Hawthorn did he show any Potential of being a Leader at the Club?
After publicly going on the record as saying he owes Hawthorn for sticking by him during his numerous injuries, only to walk out later that year as a free agent, I don't think many hear will give him any pats on the back, or praise him for his leadership qualities!

He has respect from me as a Hawk Premiership player, but that's all!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back