Cloke Sr hits out at coach - surprise, surprise...

Discussion in 'AFL - The Australian Football League' started by jonty12, Sep 30, 2003.

1. jonty12

jonty12 Club Legend

North Melbourne
    Other Teams:
    Chelsea FC
    Cloke Sr hits out at coach
    30 September 2003 Herald Sun
    By MARK ROBINSON

JASON Cloke's father, David, last night hit out at Collingwood coach Mick Malthouse's attack on his son following Saturday's Grand Final defeat.

In a none-too-subtle description of Cloke's performance, Malthouse said: "This is his first Grand Final. He probably played better in the last one."

Cloke missed the 2002 Grand Final because of suspension and, this year, had just one kick and three handballs in the unfamiliar position of key forward.

David Cloke said he read of Malthouse's comment in yesterday's Herald Sun.

Aware that it's a coach's right to criticise his players, Cloke nevertheless was disappointed Malthouse had singled out his son.

"From a parent, a father, if he has made that statement I would be disappointed," Cloke said.

"That's a very funny statement to make considering they only kept him on the ground for half a game.

"It's very hard to make the statement about someone. I don't know what he meant by it."

Cloke, a former Collingwood player, said Malthouse had to live with the decision to play Jason Cloke as a forward.

"What he probably needs to look at is here's a fellow who's played less than 50 games, just over 40 games of football, played 98 per cent of them as a backman, and then because of Anthony Rocca's suspension, they think they have to use him to plug up centre half-forward," Cloke said.

Did he feel it was the correct decision?

"That's the decision Mick has to live by, no one else. He made that decision," Cloke said.

"What I believe doesn't matter. He's the coach. I don't pick the side, he picks the side and he has to live by that decision."

He said he would consider speaking to Malthouse about his comments.

"Will I say anything? I've got no idea. Down the line I might ask him what he meant by the comment.

"It seems to be a funny comment to make.

"He's the coach. He says what he believes is right at the time and he may have thought that was right to say at the time, I don't know."

He said he was not aware if Jason knew of Malthouse's criticism.

"I haven't spoke to him (Jason) about it yet. They've been out all day. I don't know if he knows or not.

"I'd say he'd probably read the papers today, so he might know about it."

2. Steve76

Steve76 Team Captain

Other Teams:
    richmond
    Thank goodness the Tigers stayed clear of that family - imagine how many times Cloke Senior would butt in with Frawley !!!!

3. GOALden Hawk

GOALden Hawk Norm Smith Medallist

Hawthorn
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Separated at birth?

4. MaccasNeighbour

MaccasNeighbour Club Legend

Adelaide
    Other Teams:
    Sturt
    I don't think he said anything too outrageous, in fact it seems to be pretty much in line with the opinion of most Pies supporters.

5. Zeke

Zeke Brownlow Medallist

Collingwood
    Other Teams:
    Bulls
    He hardly 'hit out' at Mick...

He seemed fairly reasonable about the whole thing.

BigFooty is to the media, what the media is to real life.

:eek:

6. Koolo

Koolo Debutant

Other Teams:
    RFC
    Mark Robinson is a hack. It's a non-article.

7. GOALden Hawk

GOALden Hawk Norm Smith Medallist

Hawthorn
    To be fair it would be the sub-editors who come up with that headline, not Mark.

Tend to agree, I reckon the journos were expecting Old Man Cloke to cut loose and were a bit disappointed.

8. billy big ears

billy big ears All Australian

Still living in the seventies old man? Please get your hair cut and maybe your kid is just not good enough for a key position.

9. grayham

grayham Cancelled

Sydney
    Other Teams:
    swans
    What a rabble of a club. The whole place is self destructing.

10. Crumden

Crumden Premiership Player

Richmond
    Other Teams:
    Richmond
    The headline and journalist's comments throughout the story aren't really backed up by Cloke's comments. He seems to have been fairly measured about what he said and made it clear he was talking as a parent. As to saying it was a funny statement to make, that is merely stating the obvious. I like to kick Collingwood when they are down too, but that article is a non-event.

11. vicpride99

vicpride99 Team Captain

Geelong
    Other Teams:
    Geelong
    Cloke who cares............ A pure overated player.

12. stemline

stemline Club Legend

Hawthorn
    It's been said here and rumoured elsewhere that J.Cloke said they'd have won if they'd been coached by Matthews.

Is this true and if so where/when was it said?

13. Nandoz

Nandoz Club Legend

Essendon
    Other Teams:
    AC Milan
    The Cloke family are one of the least educated around. I wouldnt have been surprised if Mick said what he did anyways.

14. YETAGAIN

YETAGAIN Senior List

Other Teams:
    Richmond
    Yes he said they could have won if they had Voss, Acker, Black, Lynch, Power, Pike, Leppa, Michael, lappin, Brown, The list goes on and on

15. Captain Blood

Captain Blood Club Legend

Other Teams:
    Richmond
    At least he wasn't soft like his son, and could actually get a kick!
    Walls was right with his description of Cloke on the weekend.

"Jason Cloke is yet to prove he can win a kick in a contest. Playing loose in defence is the easiest gig in town, as is coming in from behind to be third man up to fist the ball away in a marking or ruck situation.

When given the chance to earn a kick as a key forward, Cloke could not cope."

16. Daphne

Daphne Club Legend

When Jason Cloke said in an interview during last week , that....... he would treat th GF as he would any other game, you had to worry.....................wouldnt have any trouble sleeping the night before.................I'll bet Vossy tossed and turned a fair bit the night before. No just a little bit too casual for my liking and it is going to get twice as bad when the other brother starts playing next season and then three times as bad when the third one comes along. The sooner Eddie tells dad to pull his head in the better for the Collingwood FC . Who will ever forget him at the first tribunial appearance last year in his T shirt and I am sure that Eddie made him wear a suit a couple of days later. I'm suprised that we didnt see him riding in the car for the GF parade

17. fearlessone77

fearlessone77 Suspended

Other Teams:
    Carlton
    The Collingwood football club should steer clear of the CLoke's now i think, it seems david has instilled this "it always someone elses fault jason attitude into him"

So what he played foreward he is a professional footballer do as your coach says if you fail, you fail , dont whinge you have a **** coach. I think I remember Blight once saying that he could only get them to the Grand Final it wasnt his to win, the players win it when talking about Geelong.

Malthouse ws withing his rights to have a go at cloke but cloke has no right to retort especially not by hiding behind his father.

Richmond I think are the smarter club for letting them go.