Cloke Sr hits out at coach - surprise, surprise...

jonty12

Club Legend
May 23, 2002
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
Cloke Sr hits out at coach
30 September 2003 Herald Sun
By MARK ROBINSON

JASON Cloke's father, David, last night hit out at Collingwood coach Mick Malthouse's attack on his son following Saturday's Grand Final defeat.

In a none-too-subtle description of Cloke's performance, Malthouse said: "This is his first Grand Final. He probably played better in the last one."

Cloke missed the 2002 Grand Final because of suspension and, this year, had just one kick and three handballs in the unfamiliar position of key forward.

David Cloke said he read of Malthouse's comment in yesterday's Herald Sun.

Aware that it's a coach's right to criticise his players, Cloke nevertheless was disappointed Malthouse had singled out his son.

"From a parent, a father, if he has made that statement I would be disappointed," Cloke said.

"That's a very funny statement to make considering they only kept him on the ground for half a game.

"It's very hard to make the statement about someone. I don't know what he meant by it."

Cloke, a former Collingwood player, said Malthouse had to live with the decision to play Jason Cloke as a forward.

"What he probably needs to look at is here's a fellow who's played less than 50 games, just over 40 games of football, played 98 per cent of them as a backman, and then because of Anthony Rocca's suspension, they think they have to use him to plug up centre half-forward," Cloke said.

Did he feel it was the correct decision?

"That's the decision Mick has to live by, no one else. He made that decision," Cloke said.

"What I believe doesn't matter. He's the coach. I don't pick the side, he picks the side and he has to live by that decision."

He said he would consider speaking to Malthouse about his comments.

"Will I say anything? I've got no idea. Down the line I might ask him what he meant by the comment.

"It seems to be a funny comment to make.

"He's the coach. He says what he believes is right at the time and he may have thought that was right to say at the time, I don't know."

He said he was not aware if Jason knew of Malthouse's criticism.

"I haven't spoke to him (Jason) about it yet. They've been out all day. I don't know if he knows or not.

"I'd say he'd probably read the papers today, so he might know about it."

Steve76

Team Captain
Jun 16, 2003
cybertron
Other Teams
richmond
Thank goodness the Tigers stayed clear of that family - imagine how many times Cloke Senior would butt in with Frawley !!!!

May 23, 2001
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
t1_dokic_ap_01.jpg

014866bb.gif

Separated at birth?

Crumden

Premiership Player
Oct 18, 2002
Canberra
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
The headline and journalist's comments throughout the story aren't really backed up by Cloke's comments. He seems to have been fairly measured about what he said and made it clear he was talking as a parent. As to saying it was a funny statement to make, that is merely stating the obvious. I like to kick Collingwood when they are down too, but that article is a non-event.

stemline

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2001
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It's been said here and rumoured elsewhere that J.Cloke said they'd have won if they'd been coached by Matthews.

Is this true and if so where/when was it said?

YETAGAIN

Senior List
Sep 10, 2003
Other Teams
Richmond
Originally posted by stemline
It's been said here and rumoured elsewhere that J.Cloke said they'd have won if they'd been coached by Matthews.

Is this true and if so where/when was it said?

Yes he said they could have won if they had Voss, Acker, Black, Lynch, Power, Pike, Leppa, Michael, lappin, Brown, The list goes on and on

Jul 30, 2003
Punt Road
Other Teams
Richmond
At least he wasn't soft like his son, and could actually get a kick!
Walls was right with his description of Cloke on the weekend.

"Jason Cloke is yet to prove he can win a kick in a contest. Playing loose in defence is the easiest gig in town, as is coming in from behind to be third man up to fist the ball away in a marking or ruck situation.

When given the chance to earn a kick as a key forward, Cloke could not cope."

Daphne

Club Legend
Jan 12, 2001
Melbourne
When Jason Cloke said in an interview during last week , that....... he would treat th GF as he would any other game, you had to worry.....................wouldnt have any trouble sleeping the night before.................I'll bet Vossy tossed and turned a fair bit the night before. No just a little bit too casual for my liking and it is going to get twice as bad when the other brother starts playing next season and then three times as bad when the third one comes along. The sooner Eddie tells dad to pull his head in the better for the Collingwood FC . Who will ever forget him at the first tribunial appearance last year in his T shirt and I am sure that Eddie made him wear a suit a couple of days later. I'm suprised that we didnt see him riding in the car for the GF parade

fearlessone77

Club Legend
Suspended
Sep 17, 2003
Planet Zorg
Other Teams
Carlton
The Collingwood football club should steer clear of the CLoke's now i think, it seems david has instilled this "it always someone elses fault jason attitude into him"

So what he played foreward he is a professional footballer do as your coach says if you fail, you fail , dont whinge you have a **** coach. I think I remember Blight once saying that he could only get them to the Grand Final it wasnt his to win, the players win it when talking about Geelong.

Malthouse ws withing his rights to have a go at cloke but cloke has no right to retort especially not by hiding behind his father.

Richmond I think are the smarter club for letting them go.

Back