News Cloke to retire

Remove this Banner Ad

Schache also mentioned working with Cloke as a junior. I hope we keep him on in some form.
Doubt we'd go for Gowers.

Got a feeling we may need to use an earlier pick than 81. Really don't want to miss out on him. Big bodies, Can take an overhead mark, Still in his early 20's and kicks goals. Just what we need with Dickson and Picken coming to an end.
We dont have one. Not going to use 16.

List management is not necessarily about finding the best 22, its about finding the best 30 something players that we will no doubt be forced to play through injury and suspension - particuarlly when we were certain to contest another final series, ha ha!

The reasoning behind picking Cloke was sound - get him up for next to nothing as a break in case of emergency CHF so we wouldnt have to contest another final series with a makeshift key forward in case of injuries or poor form. And in fact we did lose Red and Adams to injury, and Boyd to form.

As it turned out, a CHF for the finals series wasnt required :-/ So we didnt need him. In hindsight. So hes gonski.

Its no big deal really.

List management is not necessarily about finding the best 22, its about finding the best 30 something players that we will no doubt be forced to play through injury and suspension - particuarlly when we were certain to contest another final series, ha ha!

The reasoning behind picking Cloke was sound - get him up for next to nothing as a break in case of emergency CHF so we wouldnt have to contest another final series with a makeshift key forward in case of injuries or poor form. And in fact we did lose Red and Adams to injury, and Boyd to form.

As it turned out, a CHF for the finals series wasnt required :-/ So we didnt need him. In hindsight. So hes gonski.

Its no big deal really.
Agreed. Calling it an abysmal failure or whatever is over the top IMO.

Couldn't have predicted he would get depression during the year, which impacted his ability to contribute.

Ridiculous pick up at the time.

Opportunity cost. Every time JMac recruits a cooked or poor player - that is one less pick drafting gun Dalrymple takes to the draft. The opportunity lost is immense.

In 2016 we used a gameplan built around manic midfield and forward pressure, sharp handball and strict compliance with team rules. That enabled us to win a premiership with 2 key defenders who couldn't get regular games during the year and no monster forwards. Innovations have a life of a year at best. Beveridge would have known that we wouldn't be able to do it again so worked towards a new game plan involving 2 monster forwards out of Redpath, Boyd and Cloke. For reasons that are now emerging, disunity, complacency, laziness, it didn't work. Last minute or not, the recruitment of Schache indicates that he will persevere. Cloke didn't work out, nothing ventured, nothing gained.

In 2016 we used a gameplan built around manic midfield and forward pressure, sharp handball and strict compliance with team rules. That enabled us to win a premiership with 2 key defenders who couldn't get regular games during the year and no monster forwards. Innovations have a life of a year at best. Beveridge would have known that we wouldn't be able to do it again so worked towards a new game plan involving 2 monster forwards out of Redpath, Boyd and Cloke. For reasons that are now emerging, disunity, complacency, laziness, it didn't work. Last minute or not, the recruitment of Schache indicates that he will persevere. Cloke didn't work out, nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Trav was showing signs of being a solid contributor this year, prior to being cleaned up in a late bump iirc? He did ok for us, gave it a crack. I hope life after footy goes well for him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hawkins, Winmar, Cloke ... hope Hodge doesn't end up the same way. Playing a meaningless season as a shadow of their past glory.

It's hard to pick the moment when you're cooked and need to retire. It's ever so much worse when you play out that one season too many at another club that had meant nothing to you until now.

Cheers anyway Trav. A shame it had to end like this.

Hey guys just wanted to congratulate Trav on a great career. Tapered off a bit towards the end but was great to watch when on. Hope all the best on his future endeavours.

Absolutely no hard done getting Cloke in, we had no choice with the injuries we had at the start of the year. And if it wasn't for that Ziebal snipe, he would have been useful depth with a few good games. At least when he did play, he led for the ball unlike all our other players.

But with Schache there is no need for him so fair enough about 2018, cheers and goodluck.

Kills me about Crammeri, so what if he has had 2 years off, its not ideal but i bet if someone else was in the same situation, like Morris, he would get a contract. But i guess we will just play another midfielder in the forward line

Kills me about Crammeri, so what if he has had 2 years off, its not ideal but i bet if someone else was in the same situation, like Morris, he would get a contract. But i guess we will just play another midfielder in the forward line
I'm keen to see Lipinski tried in the forward line during 2018.

Hey guys just wanted to congratulate Trav on a great career. Tapered off a bit towards the end but was great to watch when on. Hope all the best on his future endeavours.

You were warned to keep away with your not so subtle trolling. You've run out of chances, next one is a week off.

I have no idea what happened to him at the bulldogs but it's a disgrace what they did to him to result him to take time of for mental health. From what I been told it was similar to that of Tom Boyd. Anyways I hope all the best for Trevor in his future endeavours and once again congratulate him on a fantastic career.

It's a disgrace in the way Travis was treated towards the back end of his career. Such a shame that he stopped playing due to mental health, from what I been told it was similar to that of Tom Boyd. I hope he gets better and wish him well in his future endeavours.

I don't understand the failure comments. What were people expecting from him? His Coleman winning form? No. We got him as a contested marking target who can also provide this up the ground. Up until Ziebells illegal hit on him he was doing this really well. If it weren't for those broken ribs and our car crash of a season I think he would have played a big role for us. Sad to see him go

I don't understand the failure comments. What were people expecting from him? His Coleman winning form? No. We got him as a contested marking target who can also provide this up the ground. Up until Ziebells illegal hit on him he was doing this really well. If it weren't for those broken ribs and our car crash of a season I think he would have played a big role for us. Sad to see him go

Yeah, who knows how his season would have gone if not for that. It ruined any momentum he had and I feel that he'd shown decent form up to then.

I don't understand people not understanding that recruiting Cloke was a failure.

Cloke was so poor that we have chosen to pay him not to play next year.

It doesn't get much worse than that.

I don't understand people not understanding that recruiting Cloke was a failure.

Brutal but accurate.

I think people understand it. They choose not to revel in it like some though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back