Prediction Closest to the pin wins - what day will footy return? (With prizes!)

Remove this Banner Ad

Friday 14 August - at the MCG with a capacity limited to 25,000 (every other row closed off and at least one empty seat between everyone) - all bars and refreshment stalls closed and counting in and out of the toilets.

17 rounds played over 12 weeks with H&A season finishing by 06 November. No MCG games after mid-October due to the cricket, with grand final at Optus in early December (as it's the next biggest stadium) after WACA agree to shift the Scorchers games and the Test match to the WACA.

Friday 14 August - at the MCG with a capacity limited to 25,000 (every other row closed off and at least one empty seat between everyone) - all bars and refreshment stalls closed and counting in and out of the toilets.

17 rounds played over 12 weeks with H&A season finishing by 06 November. No MCG games after mid-October due to the cricket, with grand final at Optus in early December (as it's the next biggest stadium) after WACA agree to shift the Scorchers games and the Test match to the WACA.
If there is a Test this year, and crowds of any sort are allowed, its supposed to be against India. Four or five crowds of 50k+. But that would be scheduled for November, probably the first Test against India (after Afghanistan in Brisbane).

That said : I don't think there will be an international cricket summer. No Tests, no ODIs that nobody can watch anyway, no T20WC. Maybe some white ball stuff vs New Zealand; most likely nobody else will be allowed in, and some (e.g. Pakistan, Bangladesh) not in a position to send a team anyway.

I suspect if players are not playing in a game they will be forced to quarantine entirely until their next game. Even if it means players spend months away from their family and kids. I imagine they'd be tested at regular intervals. That's the only way I can see the season going ahead.

You haven't followed the news this week have you? If the hubs are a go, families are invited.

July 30th about my best guess. Still, feel that is being optimistic given how conservative our politicians are to allow any type of normality to return in terms of travel interstate.

It is near impossible to really know in current circumstances.
If a minor miracle happened and vaccine found really quick, they maybe willing to open up things quicker due to our relative low numbers of cases in Australia.

Anyway, if it did start then it would be good for AFL as it would mean minimal damage done. We would get to December playing our football season and have had a really good break for clubs and AFL to review how we do everything and clubs would get through without any club going under.

I'd be happy having Curnow back for more games this season than originally expected. Same with Harry McKay and Kruezer. So our senior side might develop more than it would have if we had been playing games all April, May and June in a normal year.

I am more worried about the younger guys that second year players that not had a chance to develop and do not have a contract for 2021 right now.
I hope the league and clubs find a way that nearly all are kept for an extra year to give them a fair go of setting up a career before it is cut super short.

Last edited:
I agree Round 1 2021 but seeing that has been taken will go for August 8 with a saver on Round 1 2022.
I can see dates being set and continually pushed back for one reason or another.

except neither Richmond or the Eagles side could hold a candle to either Geelong or Hawthorn of that era.
derailing your own thread, stay classy.

You haven't followed the news this week have you? If the hubs are a go, families are invited.
So easy isn’t it? Just a click of the fingers to relocate families and then possibly all quarantined for 14 days. Are extended families included on the invite. I just cannot see how contact sports go ahead when the govt is peddling social distancing and staying cooped up. There will be outrage and disobedience.

Hate it myself but didn't AFL say the first 4 rounds are the same? So pies tigers is next.
Mood for restrictions evaporating.
So my pick June 5 no crowd
Crowds back for finals 24th September

Oh I didn't know that. Suppose the clubs will have put oppo research etc into them that far ahead.

Good calls overall imo, poss June 5 too early.

Consolation prize for whoever picks which page marks the devolution of the thread into a Richmond v West Coast blue.
I personally love these arguments.

Im not sure the WACA will be big enough for the spectacle of Australia vs Afghanistan.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So easy isn’t it? Just a click of the fingers to relocate families and then possibly all quarantined for 14 days. Are extended families included on the invite. I just cannot see how contact sports go ahead when the govt is peddling social distancing and staying cooped up. There will be outrage and disobedience.

Of course it isn't easy. But it's a realistic and achievable way to get a season underway, potentially saving clubs and the entire game financially for the next 50 years.

Also considering the positive distraction it would cause and Australia's love of sport, who would the outrage and disobedience come from? And why? Society craves a return to normalcy. The footy being on is exactly that.

Of course it isn't easy. But it's a realistic and achievable way to get a season underway, potentially saving clubs and the entire game financially for the next 50 years.

Also considering the positive distraction it would cause and Australia's love of sport, who would the outrage and disobedience come from? And why? Society craves a return to normalcy. The footy being on is exactly that.
Disagree with you and agree with the poster above.
If no crowds it takes away the magic of the season and people will become pissed.
I know I'd be. We all have to keep apart not go out socially distance no sport or recreation etc
So why do AFL players get an exemption? Hardly social distancing and is a gathering of 50+. Why a rule for some and not for others?
Not the AFLs fault as they are a business who will open first chance but the unpopularity of this from the government could flow down into the AFL and resentment could flow.

Disagree with you and agree with the poster above.
If no crowds it takes away the magic of the season and people will become pissed.
I know I'd be. We all have to keep apart not go out socially distance no sport or recreation etc
So why do AFL players get an exemption? Hardly social distancing and is a gathering of 50+. Why a rule for some and not for others?
Not the AFLs fault as they are a business who will open first chance but the unpopularity of this from the government could flow down into the AFL and resentment could flow.

1. It's their job. I work in retail and are currently with about 10 staff and limiting to customers to 40. So there is your 50.

2. You are also aware that a massive percentage of AFL fans don't live in the city and don't get to games live? For them it has always just been a TV game.

3. The second people have SOMETHING outside of their current isolated reality it's going to be the pick-me-up we all need. Anyone being salty about it must (and lucky for them) not be affected too greatly by the current lockdown laws. For the rest of us, bring back the footy!

Who?
Perhaps the people who have to stay inside and have lost their livelihoods. People that can’t go about their normal lives yet highly paid players get to bash and crash. The people that can’t travel interstate to see loved ones yet sports people have a special immunity sticker to fly around, break ranks so to speak. All the people who don’t follow football or nrl. There will be plenty of discussion, outrage and debating over this and of course it will all depend on what we are doing at that time.
Hypothetically what happens if you are a player cast adrift on football island and one of your loved ones goes down with this. Would you be at peace with yourself if you are on the other side of the country to play a game of footy? What is the potential for the hub to become a cluster? So really it isn’t realistic to put anyone in this position.
AFL is no different to a multitude of other businesses going into hard times. This virus isn’t ostracising particular businesses or individuals. Cry a river for all and you will soon run out of tears. Putting the almighty dollar in front of public safety/welfare and employee safety/welfare is ridiculous. I keep up my membership as a way of contributing and having no footy on will not phase me one iota.
First of all however we have to see where we are at and with a crazy arse situation changing daily, by next week we could be in lockdown (surely not) things seem to be changing that quick. And ultimately I think all codes will need a stamp of approval from the top brass.
If social restrictions are out the window and we can all travel without quarantining for 14 days it is game on.

It's their job. I work in retail and are currently with about 10 staff and limiting to customers to 40. So there is your 50.

You are also aware that a massive percentage of AFL fans don't live in the city and don't get to games live? For them it has always just been a TV game.
Do you get to go to hone to your family or be close by? Do you need to travel interstate for work? Do you tackle customers? Swap sweat? Get split open from a head clash and share some blood around? Pass balls around the shop? Where in their job description does it say they have to play in isolation. You‘re comparing apples with oranges.

Whether the cockies are at the footy or watching at home is not the posters point. No crowds is flavourless, live or on the Roger Melly.

Having football on does not provide just comfort. It will just cause frustration amongst those housebound. There are teachers here in WA who teach remotely and our regions are closed for intrastate travel. These teachers cannot travel home to Perth because of restrictions and their travel is not considered essential. Would hardly seem fair if football players can just shuffle off for a game or two. As I posted on another thread...’Relative dies, it’s OK the footy is on!’. Yeh roger that. That’s not salty, that’s reality.

Footy on would be great and would show that we are getting back to normality. But this would not fit the narrative Australia is following right now and there is a big picture here that is still being put together.

Anyway, batten down the hatches, it will be on for young and keyboards will be getting smashed. That’s my take on the matter and good luck with your view.

Stay safe.

Another fun day in garden awaits.

Simple as it sounds.

Name the day that footy returns.

Chief will provide a prize, or prizes, to the winners.

My prediction:

Thursday 09 July (Game at the G between two big Melbourne clubs, say 7.50 bounce of ball)

A very good guess there OP as a normally very reliable little birdie has told me this morning that the AFL's 'target date' for the resumption of the season is; 'THURSDAY 9 JULY'.

Apparently the AFL will send all clubs a memo soon requesting they test all their players, coaches and match day staff around mid-May as one of the prerequisite steps to allow the resumption of full training early June in preparation for the proposed match target date/s.

NB, approval for the proposed resumption of training or matches has thus far NOT been given by any Federal or State Government agency, although discussions with the relevant agencies are well underway.

Watch this space...

Last edited:
A very good guess there OP as a normally very reliable little birdie has told me this morning that the AFL's 'target date' for the resumption of the season is; 'THURSDAY 9 JULY'.

Apparently the AFL will send all clubs a memo soon requesting they test all their players, coaches and match day staff around mid-May as one of the prerequisite steps to allow the resumption of full training early June in preparation for the proposed resumption date/s.

NB, approval for the proposed resumption of training or matches has thus far NOT been given from any Federal or State Government agency, although discussions with the relevant agencies are well underway.

Watch this space...

This could be like Boomer winning the raffle.

I find the whole, but what about uprooting families etc, players relocating thing odd.

As soon as you nominate for the draft, you're consenting to suddenly being relocated to the other side of the country.

If you sign up for a career as a player, you must know that moving interstate is on the cards at some point.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back