Meet Up Club 1870 Cocktail Event tonight 13th May

Remove this Banner Ad

Anyone else going to this tonight? I completely forgot to start a thread earlier about it?

I know Eddie Dingle an his 2 daughters and pastmyprimus are interstate.

raman Winestoppable Janus MrSpeaker @TheSmallerWarrior I know you guys are members. Ask Ben to point out the bigfooty guys as he knows a few of us.

upload_2015-5-13_16-54-9.png

OK, I seriously need to stop wearing the media polo to club functions.

Two, TWO separate people mistook me for Ben Demertzis tonight. And both were people who didn't even know my name was Ben, except in as much as they had mistaken me for another Ben. Added to which I'm an inch or two taller than Benny D, a fair bit fleshier, and our hair is completely different.

The first time it was a double-mind* because the guy said something like "Ben! I'm Den(n)is!" with a familiarity that suggested he thought we'd met before. This was amazing because this guy looked remarkably like Lockhart Road. It took me several uncomfortable beats to realise that it wasn't LR, that we hadn't met before, and that he had the wrong guy.

The second time was at a bus stop outside the ground. WTF.

Great little gathering, though. I met up with my uncle who I didn't even know was a Club 1870 member, was great to chat with him on a day that wasn't Christmas, as he more than anyone is responsible for me being a Port supporter.

Two, TWO separate people mistook me for Ben Demertzis tonight. And both were people who didn't even know my name was Ben, except in as much as they had mistaken me for another Ben. Added to which I'm an inch or two taller than Benny D, a fair bit fleshier, and our hair is completely different.

The first time it was a double-mind**** because the guy said something like "Ben! I'm Den(n)is!" with a familiarity that suggested he thought we'd met before. This was amazing because this guy looked remarkably like Lockhart Road. It took me several uncomfortable beats to realise that it wasn't LR, that we hadn't met before, and that he had the wrong guy.

Great little gathering, though. I met up with my uncle who I didn't even know was a Club 1870 member, was great to chat with him on a day that wasn't Christmas, as he more than anyone is responsible for me being a Port supporter.

Sounds like The Smaller Warrior put one of his spells on you raman

Edit: Next thing you know he'll be turning all the koalas at Ocean Park in Hong Kong into 2015 PAFC Pet Members ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The first time it was a double-mind**** because the guy said something like "Ben! I'm Den(n)is!" with a familiarity that suggested he thought we'd met before. This was amazing because this guy looked remarkably like Lockhart Road. It took me several uncomfortable beats to realise that it wasn't LR, that we hadn't met before, and that he had the wrong guy.

Your last name isn't Dover is it?

Just on the potato farmer ... Matt Richardson among other topics talked about Port's China strategy. He was in Guangzhou and saying how it blew New York away, where he had been 6 weeks earlier. He was standing on the street looking at these 110 storey buildings rising all around. His guide said that 6 years earlier this had all been potato fields. The government bought all their land and built the city.

Matt noticed Bentleys, Jags and Rollers prowling the street and the guide pointed at them and said 'And those are the potato farmers'.

Matt said Port's strategy wasn't about trying to sew up the Chinese market, but if they could get the attention of just one of those potato farmers .... :D

(I'm sure REH will fill in more detail ;))

Just on the potato farmer ... Matt Richardson among other topics talked about Port's China strategy. He was in Guangzhou and saying how it blew New York away, where he had been 6 weeks earlier. He was standing on the street looking at these 110 storey buildings rising all around. His guide said that 6 years earlier this had all been potato fields. The government bought all their land and built the city.

Matt noticed Bentleys, Jags and Rollers prowling the street and the guide pointed at them and said 'And those are the potato farmers'.

Matt said Port's strategy wasn't about trying to sew up the Chinese market, but if they could get the attention of just one of those potato farmers .... :D

(I'm sure REH will fill in more detail ;))

One Chinese 'potato farmer' > any number of Russian oil oligarchs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back