Meet Up Club 1870 event Tonight

Jack said that he’d never been at a club where he felt respected by his coaches until he came to Port. That’s a huge indictment on Melbourne and it’s no wonder they haven’t played finals in ages - it’s obviously all about what a player isn’t doing rather than what he is.

I loved the fact that the players and coaches are at ease with one another to talk s**t about others in a light hearted manner but at the same time you can tell there is a resolve among the group that everyone pushes themselves to get better. Also, the story of Rockliff picking up the $800-$900 drinks tab for the new players introduction night goes to show why he’s in the leadership group - he takes responsibility for team chemistry/building.

Jack said that he’d never been at a club where he felt respected by his coaches until he came to Port. That’s a huge indictment on Melbourne and it’s no wonder they haven’t played finals in ages - it’s obviously all about what a player isn’t doing rather than what he is.

I loved the fact that the players and coaches are at ease with one another to talk s**t about others in a light hearted manner but at the same time you can tell there is a resolve among the group that everyone pushes themselves to get better. Also, the story of Rockliff picking up the $800-$900 drinks tab for the new players introduction night goes to show why he’s in the leadership group - he takes responsibility for team chemistry/building.

Sadly, this is what Jack Trengove said as well when he came over. "Its nice to hear what you can do for once rather than what you can't"

No wonder they put up so many big losses. Zero confidence.

Aug 30, 2004
Kaurna Land
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Vikings, Canadiens, Sharks
Jack said that he’d never been at a club where he felt respected by his coaches until he came to Port. That’s a huge indictment on Melbourne and it’s no wonder they haven’t played finals in ages - it’s obviously all about what a player isn’t doing rather than what he is. ...
Some journo wrote (can't be fecked searching for it) when Jack signed with Ports that if the quality of coaches that coached him at Melbourne couldn't get the best out of him then Jack was the problem. :rolleyes:

rogerjames

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2014
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

Good signs

Amarula

Club Legend
Jun 9, 2009
Western suburbs (Melb)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
The Indomitable Lions
Some journo wrote (can't be fecked searching for it) when Jack signed with Ports that if the quality of coaches that coached him at Melbourne couldn't get the best out of him then Jack was the problem. :rolleyes:
In fairness to Jack, he seems to have had great relationships with some of his coaches - Paul Roos & Dean Bailey being the main examples. But that's different from respect for players being an essential factor right across the coaching staff.
Melbourne have tried to paint Jack as the problem - that if he didn't feel respected by his coaches, that's his problem. I think Hinkley got it right when he said that we're gonna focus on what he CAN do rather than on what he can't do. That's exactly Roos's approach, and probably why Roos got the best out of him.

Rocky was a good laugh as well. Joking it was all about the size of the contract. Baz and him have obviously built up a good rapport in their previous interviews. Rocky is hunger for success.

Rocky was a good laugh as well. Joking it was all about the size of the contract. Baz and him have obviously built up a good rapport in their previous interviews. Rocky is hunger for success.
Yeah he’s getting paid good money for coming to us, but you get the feeling from the way he speaks that he just wants to WIN.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, there's every chance Jack Watts will play career best football with us. Melbourne have given him a special dose of motivation that few players ever get in the AFL system. If he gets on the podium on that special day, there will be tears all around (pun intended).

In fairness to Jack, he seems to have had great relationships with some of his coaches - Paul Roos & Dean Bailey being the main examples. But that's different from respect for players being an essential factor right across the coaching staff.
Melbourne have tried to paint Jack as the problem - that if he didn't feel respected by his coaches, that's his problem. I think Hinkley got it right when he said that we're gonna focus on what he CAN do rather than on what he can't do. That's exactly Roos's approach, and probably why Roos got the best out of him.

Yep.

I mean, his time with Roos was book ended with being coached by Mark Neeld and Simon Goodwin. It's hardly surprising he fell off the wagon a little bit. I reckon if Roos was his coach the whole time he'd have built a great career and still be at the Dees.

Their loss is going to be our gain.

Chrizzt

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Yeah he’s getting paid good money for coming to us, but you get the feeling from the way he speaks that he just wants to WIN.
The last time he was in a team that won back to back games was round 6 (Carlton) and 7 (Port :() in 2015.

He's gone 11 wins 42 losses in the last 3 years including a string of 7 straight losses in 2017 and 11 losses to start his 2016.

That sort of losing spree has gotta hurt as such a competitive player.

Back