Opinion Club 2019 Report Card

How would you grade the Collingwood Football Club 2019 Year?

• ‘A’: Perfect 🎶 I love you just the way you are ... 🎶

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • ‘B’: Good 🎶 You can’t always get what you want ... 🎶

Votes: 52 75.4%
  • ‘C’: Average 🎶 Clowns to the left, Jokers to the right, here I am, stuck in the middle with you 🎶

Votes: 15 21.7%
  • ‘D’: Poor 🎶 It’s a long way to the top if you wanna Rock ‘n Roll ... 🎶

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • ‘E’: Fail 🎶 The winner takes it all, the loser has to fall ... 🎶

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Of course. Those who are looking to compensate for the fact that we have two premierships in 60 years.
Why bother? We have what we have. Accept it and move on.

Takes all sorts, Jmac. I’m over the BS about us being this and that. Actually, I feel a thread coming on.
We are what we are. For me, it’s the club I love. Can’t change that.

Does anyone other than Richmond care about that?

i just done like the biggest club tag... it feeds arrogance. And if its not true, I'd be happy for the people who talk about the Pies being the biggest club to put a sock down their throat - to use the words of my hero alan jones..

That’s what it boils down to. There was never any choice in my family.

actually both my parents say that they are richmond supporters ....i'm being serious here.... but for long periods - sometime decades - they wouldnt say a thing to indicate that they supported the Tigers.... in other words, they are typical richmond people..

Solid C+ for me

Minus: We kicked 26 less goals than last year. With the return from injury of Elliott we were salivating over the prospect of the opposition not being able to contain our forward line. Unfortunately it rarely fired with Cox (10), Stephenson (10); De Goey (7) & Elliott (8) missing large chunks of games through injury and stupidity and Thomas and WHE being unable to match their 2018 form. We found scoring to be quite difficult. We scored under 80 points in 12 games. 8 of them were against top 8 sides. 5 times we kicked less than 10 goals in a game.

Plus: Our defence. Conceded 21 goals less than last year despite missing Dunn (24); Langdon (15); Scharenberg (14); Aish (10); Moore (7); Greenwood (7). Moore, Howe, Roughy and Maynard were rock solid

Minus: Our chronic injury list with games missed: Dunn (24); Murphy (22); Wells (22); Kelly (21); Reid (16); Beams (15); Langdon (15); Scharenberg (14); Sier (13); Adams (12); Aish (10); Cox (10); Quaynor (10); Elliott (8); Varcoe (8); De Goey (7); Greenwood (7); Moore (7). Eight players played every game of the season. Injury robbed us of the majority of our 2018 recruits. Kelly did not fire a shot, and Quaynor and Beams did not fare much better. On the plus side Roughead was a brilliant pick-up who played every game and Crisp hasn’t missed a same since joining the Pies.

Minus: Our midfield. At the start of the year Champion Data had our midfield as one of the best of all time. Will be interesting to see where they rate now. They all played well at times, but collectively were too often beaten. The disposal efficiency of our midfielders. 1/3 of Treloar’s disposals were turnovers/clangers despite 58% of his 789 disposals being handballs. 1/3 of Adams disposals were ineffective. 60% of his disposals were kicks. 40% of Sier’s possessions were turnovers. 38% of Phillip’s disposals were ineffective or turnovers

Plus: The quality of new recruits we have coming back from long-term injury in 2020: Murphy, Kelly, Beams, Langdon and Quaynor

Plus: The great win against WCE in Perth. To come from behind and win when the team was crippled by injury and poor form was enormous for the team and us supporters.

Minus: Lack of a game plan, and lapses of concentration whereby opposition teams would get on a roll and kick multiple goals

Plus: The brilliance of Grundy, and consistency of Maynard, Howe, Crisp, Mayne, Moore, Pendles and Treloar

Plus: Despite the poor end to the season, the hope that we have that next year will be better than the last.

Last edited:
2 days after and lot of reflection.
A few things we got right , like how we negated Richmond's game plan and defensive work was outstanding all season.
Overall we did well to get to the PF with all the adversities although a lot was self inflicted .
Still gave it a B, it wasn't that bad but we could have achieved more and tbh deserved more.
I might sound as a sore loser, but I don't think we were beaten by a better team on Saturday.
2020 will be an interesting year.

Eagles have more members?

Apparently ...

Anyway I have a question.

Another one? Sure.

Considering the growth in membership and attendance at Richmond games, shouldnt the people who talk about Collingwood being the biggest club give that up?

C’mon, you’re politically savvy, you know that it’s possible to measure something half a dozen different ways and you can pick the answer that suits your needs.

Collingwood will have the highest attendance for 2019 ... even higher than Richmond who will be playing in the GF. So there you go, Collingwood is the biggest club in the land. Go over to the Richmond or WCE board and they’ll justify a different answer ;)

2 days after and lot of reflection.
A few things we got right , like how we negated Richmond's game plan and defensive work was outstanding all season.
Overall we did well to get to the PF with all the adversities although a lot was self inflicted .
Still gave it a B, it wasn't that bad but we could have achieved more and tbh deserved more.
I might sound as a sore loser, but I don't think we were beaten by a better team on Saturday.
2020 will be an interesting year.
2020 will be a great year!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with all this.

In particular, in relation to recruiting, I also see around 7-8 list spots. I'm counting Wells, Goldsack, Reid, Dunn, Crocker and Murray at a minimum, and we might have a call to make on Varcoe, Broomhead and Lynch. I reckon Elliott might end up leaving too unfortunately as we'll need to lose at least 1 to keep the other big 3 in Moore, De Goey and Grundy.

Since we don't at this stage have many high draft picks, I'd say we take 4 in the draft, and 3-4 mature players. Although we don't lose a lot in terms of games played in 2019 from the group listed above, we lose a heck of a lot of experience. So if we have 3 list spots available, bringing in Josh Jenkins seems a logical move to me. Adds KP depth and experience. Very durable as well. Has to be an upgrade on Cox at a minimum. I don't think Jenkins is the saviour, but we made a prelim with no key forward in the 2nd half of the year, so Jenkins surely improves that position until we recruit the gun. Maybe we can be in the market to bring King back from the GC the year after.

It also allows us to perhaps take a punt on someone like Bennell in a rookie spot. Fills a huge need on the list in terms of classy ball use. It's a punt perhaps worth taking if we have a few spare list spots. Otherwise, I'm keen to look at state league players as well for maturity.

For me, it's not the number of players we turn over (7-8 is probably too many), it's the key areas we need to address.

Number 1. Key forward.
Number 2. Some speed/power and class in the middle -- not so many one-paced midfielders. (This was Wells of course, but anyway). DeGoey might be the answer.

Not sure we need mature players as much as another 1-2 high/medfium high draft picks. That means, probably, trading someone out who has currency. But who is that? Sharenberg or a medium tall (Langdon -- who I think stays?) are possibilities. Sier if he's on the outer with the club. It'd be Beams or someone for me, but he just arrived.

I'd definitely punt on Bennell -- though the naysayers will probably be up in arms for recruiting another injury prone player.

Well ...

... knowing me, knowing you, there is nothing we can do :)

Besides, I would have thought the cheesy Billy Joel reference would have been more offensive :D

We had a good year but the Beams trade was a setback. Along with Wells we have wasted some Money Money Money in recent years.

We need to get that right. We need a key forward urgently, send out an SOS to the best available. Otherwise it might be Buckleys Waterloo.

B+ for me

We will be the 4th best club in it at the end of the year, and a kick away from back to back Grand Finals

This is a young group who will stay together with some really good younger talent coming on.

We have a brilliant Coach and excellent Asistants

Expect 5 more years of playing finals before we need to reboot

Draft or Trade for 'best available'

Re-sign our genuine stars

Minimum top 4 at start of finals again next year

B+ for me

We will be the 4th best club in it at the end of the year, and a kick away from back to back Grand Finals

This is a young group who will stay together with some really good younger talent coming on.

We have a brilliant Coach and excellent Asistants

Expect 5 more years of playing finals before we need to reboot

Draft or Trade for 'best available'

Re-sign our genuine stars

Minimum top 4 at start of finals again next year

We weren’t a kick away, we had three kicks that were touched on the line or off the boot.

We were a fingertip away!!!!

Last edited:
it's a Cwood year....
- made the finals - :)
- didn't win the flag - :(
- more than fair share of injuries.... again :(
- off-field dramas impacting on-field performance :(
- not much of a choice on GF day - Richmond bogans celebrating or Toby Greene grinning on the dais :( - might just take the latter
- what will 2020 bring?

I agree with all this.

In particular, in relation to recruiting, I also see around 7-8 list spots. I'm counting Wells, Goldsack, Reid, Dunn, Crocker and Murray at a minimum, and we might have a call to make on Varcoe, Broomhead and Lynch. I reckon Elliott might end up leaving too unfortunately as we'll need to lose at least 1 to keep the other big 3 in Moore, De Goey and Grundy.

Since we don't at this stage have many high draft picks, I'd say we take 4 in the draft, and 3-4 mature players. Although we don't lose a lot in terms of games played in 2019 from the group listed above, we lose a heck of a lot of experience. So if we have 3 list spots available, bringing in Josh Jenkins seems a logical move to me. Adds KP depth and experience. Very durable as well. Has to be an upgrade on Cox at a minimum. I don't think Jenkins is the saviour, but we made a prelim with no key forward in the 2nd half of the year, so Jenkins surely improves that position until we recruit the gun. Maybe we can be in the market to bring King back from the GC the year after.

It also allows us to perhaps take a punt on someone like Bennell in a rookie spot. Fills a huge need on the list in terms of classy ball use. It's a punt perhaps worth taking if we have a few spare list spots. Otherwise, I'm keen to look at state league players as well for maturity.

I don't like the idea of recruiting Jenkins, even as a short term quick fix. If we're going to look at someone of that ilk I'd prefer (and I can't believe I'm saying this) Casboult. At least he'll crash a pack and play like a big forward.

The other thing with Jenkins is his current contract. Signed a significant deal ($600K ??) that ties him to the Crows till 2021 and I'm definitely not prepared to pay him big money or if Adelaide would meet some of that cost for the next 2 years just to get him off their books.

Back