Club accounts

Remove this Banner Ad

Relates to premier league clubs from this past season, but 2007/08 figures, so not current. I'd say the credit crunch, and things like Citys takeover would have changed a whole lot in the past 12 months. I'd imagine a bit of guesswork is involved with some of these figures as well. From the guardian website, also has more detailed figures for each club which is quite interesting.

Debt
Chelsea - £701m
Man United - £699m
Arsenal - £416m
Liverpool - £280m
Fulham - £197m
Man City - £147m
Newcastle - £106.2m
Middlesbrough - £93m
Aston Villa - £73m
Sunderland - £69.2m
Wigan - £66.4m
Tottenham - £65m
Portsmouth - £57.7m
Bolton - £52m
Everton - £39m
West Ham - £36m
Blackburn - £17m
West Brom - £8.9m
Stoke - £2.3m
Hull - £1m

Turnover
Man United - £256.2m
Arsenal - £223m
Chelsea - £213.6m
Liverpool - £159m
Tottenham - £114.8m
Newcastle - £100.8m
Man City - £82.3m
Everton - £76m
Aston Villa - £75.6m
Portsmouth - £70.6m
Sunderland - £63.6m
Botlon - £59.1m
West Ham - £57m
Blackburn - £56.4m
Fulham - £53.7m
Middlesbrough - £48m
Wigan - £43m
West Brom - £27.2m
Stoke - £11.2m
Hull (2007 figures) - £9m

Think our debt is more like 130 mill now since BG cant afford to buy the club.

Wages
Chelsea - £149m
Man United - £121.1m
Arsenal - £101.3m
Liverpool - £80m
Newcastle - £74.6m
Portsmouth - £54.7m
Man City - £54.2m
Tottenham - £52.9m
Aston Villa - £50.4m
Everton - £44.5m
West Ham - £44.2m
Blackburn - £39.7m
Fulham - £39.3m
Bolton - £39m
Wigan - £38.4m
Sunderland - £37.1m
Middlesbrough - £31.8m
West Brom - £21.8 m
Stoke - £11.2m
Hull (2007) - 6.9m

Wages
Chelsea - £149m
Man United - £121.1m
Arsenal - £101.3m
Liverpool - £80m
Newcastle - £74.6m
Portsmouth - £54.7m
Man City - £54.2m
Tottenham - £52.9m
Aston Villa - £50.4m
Everton - £44.5m
West Ham - £44.2m
Blackburn - £39.7m
Fulham - £39.3m
Bolton - £39m
Wigan - £38.4m
Sunderland - £37.1m
Middlesbrough - £31.8m
West Brom - £21.8 m
Stoke - £11.2m
Hull (2007) - 6.9m

These stats are so old they couldnt be any less relevant. West Hams wage bill would be around 30 mill and Man Citys today would be around 100 mill

Boro's debt has been reduced to 30 million in the past year. The wages would have been reduced as well I'd imagine seeing as we lost the likes of Boateng, Mendieta, Rochemback, Young, Schwarzer etc etc who were all on very good money and replaced them with poor versions on much less money

Boros debts are now down to around 30 million.

Boro beat me to it.

We should be able to invest reasonably heavily in some of the better experienced and hardened championship players next season

Our debt is much more than that I think.

Not sure what they're counting in that. I assume it's counting the debt on KHL - but maybe not the debt whacked straight onto the club.

Anyway, the only thing that matters is we're up s**t creek and royally ****ed without a takeover.

I think people place too much emphasis on debt levels as an indicator of a football clubs finances. To know if a football club really are stuffed then you need to take the level of debt into context with other variables such as cash flow, assets, current liabilities... ect. Look at Everton as an example. If you were to look at only our debt level, then you make think that we are finacially fine, but if you look at other financial statements such as the statement of cash flows then you will see that we are not finding it easy to meet our debt repayments at all.

Our debt is down from those figures. Those were taken a year after we moved into the new stadium and two years have passed since.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hmm, this is apparently from the Liverpool Echo.

THE full scale of the debt Liverpool FC’s American owners have saddled the club with can today be revealed.

Despite increasing turnover and a 60% rise in TV income, Kop Football Holdings – a company through which Tom Hicks and George Gillett own LFC – made a £41m loss before tax.

Liverpool’s parent company suffered mainly due to interest payments on the debts the Americans took on to buy the club.

Most worryingly, in the annual accounts submitted today, LFC’s accountants have also warned that remaining uncertainty over refinancing the £359m debt before the July 24 deadline may even “cast significant doubt on the group’s and parent company’s ability to continue as a going concern”.

Although Hicks and Gillett say they are confident of securing a refinancing deal, the figures reveal the financial success of the football club is being swallowed up by the cost of servicing the parent company’s loans.

The accounts for the year ending July 2008 showed Liverpool made a £10.2m profit but the parent company Kop Football (Holdings) Ltd made a substantial loss of £41m, mainly due to interest payments totalling £36.5m.

The clubs accountants KPMG LLP also expressed a warning in their notes in the filed accounts.

The accountants said: “The group has credit facilities amounting to £350m which expire on 24 July 2009. The directors have initiated negotiations to secure the replacement finance required by the group and these negotiations are ongoing.

Some more to add to your article Moomba

Liverpool are reported to be on the verge of financial meltdown, with club accountants issuing a statement admitting there is "significant doubt" as to whether the company which runs the Reds can "continue as a going concern".

The reports claim Liverpool's parent company, Kop Football (Holdings) Ltd, which is run by club owners George Gillett and Tom Hicks, made a £42.6 million ($85 million) loss last year.

More than $70 million of that sum is owed in interest payments on the $700 million loan taken out to refinance the club.

One City of London analyst said: "Unless the owners find more money, the club is facing financial meltdown."

"Not only are the figures bleak, the future is gloomy too.

"The more you read through the accounts, the more transparent it is that the owners don't have the resources to meet the targets they've set for next year either."

There is a God!

Scouse better start dipping further into those bins hey?

But then they'd wake up all the Manure and Tottenham supporters. When I was in London 5 years ago I threw a coke can in a bin and a Tottenham supporter jumped out going ballistic because I woke him up. I would only assume it's the same in Manchester.

Anyone genuinely think the tide may start to turn against the Premier League big 4 and swing the way of Barcelona and Real Madrid in terms of domination on and off the field?

I for one can see it as a big possibility. Things were going to start falling apart for the premier league powerhouses sooner or later.....you simply cannot sustain the type of ridiculous debt some are creating.....

Meanwhile it seems Barcelona and Real Madrid are operating on open chequebooks, good time for Perez to be ushering in a new Galactico era. :eek::D

TV rights is one huge factor though, Real is said to generate 135 million pounds from that alone, compare to Liverpool (51 million pounds) from the premier league agreement.

Meanwhile it seems Barcelona and Real Madrid are operating on open chequebooks, good time for Perez to be ushering in a new Galactico era.

When Real Madrid fall over it doesn't matter. Goverment will bail them out. :)

When Real Madrid fall over it doesn't matter. Goverment will bail them out. :)

Yeah I've heard that before. :D

Even so, the 2 major spanish clubs seem to have at least a couple of advantages over the major premier league clubs when it comes to finances. Seems as though Real are going to go ballistic this summer. :eek:

On the Liverpool situation, if the holding company goes broke, then wouldn't they start the season on -10 points? That is what had happened to Southampton when their holding company went broke.

good time for Perez to be ushering in a new Galactico era. :eek::D

The same Galactico era that failed to win any silverware in its final three seasons?

Not sure what they're counting in that. I assume it's counting the debt on KHL - but maybe not the debt whacked straight onto the club.

That's the ridiculous thing about the takeovers of United and Liverpool. Both clubs were debt free, and both got taken over, using debt, and that debt was whacked onto the clubs instead of the owners. :mad:

I think people place too much emphasis on debt levels as an indicator of a football clubs finances. To know if a football club really are stuffed then you need to take the level of debt into context with other variables such as cash flow, assets, current liabilities... ect. Look at Everton as an example. If you were to look at only our debt level, then you make think that we are finacially fine, but if you look at other financial statements such as the statement of cash flows then you will see that we are not finding it easy to meet our debt repayments at all.

Great post.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back