The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Im part of a football club (Won't name the name of the club) however we were founded in 1961 and are due for our 60th Anniversary/ 60 Years Celebration.

I thought I would come here to gain some ideas for events/initiatives that our club could do to celebrate the 60 years of our great club!

Whilst doing some research, some clubs do it as a 60th anniversary, 60th year or 60th season. When would be the best time to do a 60th year celebration year?

This could also be a resource for some ideas for other clubs doing Anniversaries too.

Carlos Bigtraj

Draftee
Nov 24, 2017
AFL Club
Carlton
Yes gidday mate I reckon that the best time to do a celebration such as the one that you’re planning would be smack bang in the middle of the season cos it’s often then that some clubs need a shot in the arm to break up the season ( especially if they are not travelling to well) and even if they are going well they can all suffer from what I call the mid season blues typically this occurs interestingly around the time of the year that is aligned with the winter solstice in the depths of winter and is related to day length thus affecting the mood of the community that is the clubs heartbeat

May 24, 2006
Car 55
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Redbacks, Sturt, Liverpool, Arizona
I reckon your club could announce 60 Legends. On field and off field deeds, past and present.

Induction dinner, big fundraiser etc.

Present them (or a living relative) with a club guernsey with their number on it (chronological, eg club founder might be No 1).

In 10 years add another 10 (I like planning ahead)

screech

Club Legend
Jun 19, 2002
Christies Beach
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, Sheffield Wednesday
Whilst it was not quite the anniversary, we went back through the records and named a Team of the Decade for each 10 years of existance (1966-1975, 1976-1985, etc). Then from the 5 teams it made it reasonably straightforward to name a greatest team. We held an afternoon where each team was announced and a team photo taken. The club was struggling at the time and it was a huge shot in the arm, we ended up with a heap more past players as officials/coaches and a reinvigorated past players association. A few years later as part of our 50 year celebrations we named our Team of the Fifth Decade and it is now well entrenched as a tradition.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
In that case, maybe form a senior team for the anniversary :)

Not being rude, but what is the point of a junior only club? Where do they go once they "graduate"?
When they get around 15-16 they tend to drop out anyway due to other things coming up in their lives. We are a small junior club and the last time we had an under 17s/18s was back in 2013. If they want to keep on going as there wouldn't be a team at our club due to lack of older number, they would just move clubs if they want to continue playing to a bigger club. Yes we will lose them however we would lose them anyhow.

The reason why we do not have seniors is because the seniors would be too much to run and would take all the money away from the juniors. We are for the kids and thats why we do what we do.

Make the last home game a big reunion weekend with an informal get together on the Friday, a function on the Saturday Night, perhaps with some sort of ceremony to acknowledge the best club people on and off the field, and a big game day on whenever the games are played. Alternately if there's a spare weekend in the schedule perhaps have some sort of old boys/girls game on the Saturday before the function that night.

Back