• A player who wishes they were going

Votes: 11 18.3%
  • A drunk player who is happy to stay

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Mackay

Votes: 11 18.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We're not getting pick 2 and no club is trading a high/mid first rounder if we match. Hammy was the last thing we needed given his history.

You can't just chuck out all the experienced players, better off keeping Brad unless by some miracle we get pick 2, but we won't.

Really worried we've stuffed our recent first rounders :mad:

We're not getting pick 2 and no club is trading a high/mid first rounder if we match. Hammy was the last thing we needed given his history.

You can't just chuck out all the experienced players, better off keeping Brad unless by some miracle we get pick 2, but we won't.

Hammy history???....he hasn't been injured for nearly 2 years.

Here is some analysis that absolutely no one asked for:

The compensation system, ranking points and formula are explained pretty well in the below article.

Basically the contract Brad Crouch needs to be offered to gain Band 1 compensation has to be in the top 5% of all players aged between 25-30 through the AFL's compensation 'ranking system'. The ranking system does not include anyone younger than 25, or anyone older than 30, so people like Franklin and Jordan De Goey aren't included. I'm assuming this is because anyone younger than 25 wouldn't be a 'Free Agent' having served their minimum years at a club, and compensation shouldn't be awarded to clubs just offloading older players for extra picks.

The top paid player per year is ranked at 100 points, if there are two players paid the same then the length of their contract is taken into consideration, so someone on $800k for 4 years will rank higher than someone on $800k for 3 years, and so on.

You then get allocated additional points based on your age

• 25 yo = 12 points
  • 26 yo = 10 points
  • 27 yo = 8 points
  • 28 yo = 6 points
  • 29 yo = 4 points
  • 30 yo = 2 points
From looking at the points system it matters more on where you initially place in the ranking just based purely on the contract being offered, as your age might only bump you up a few places, but i could be wrong, it certainly might make a difference if there are a lot of players being paid a similar amount.

The recent list that came out showing player earnings should give you a rough idea what you need to be earning to be in that top 5%.

My gut feeling from looking at all the numbers tells me Brad Crouch would need a contract of $750-$800k (pre-covid) per year to lock him in to Band 1 compensation for the Crows, and i'm not sure he gets that, although the fact that a club doesn't have to give up a draft pick may work in his favour. There are a few players who have just turned 25, or will be when the Draft comes around (Bontompelli for example) who will now be included in the ranking system, and so this of course would affect where Crouch sits in the order.

To even entice Brad out of the Crows a club is still going to have to pay big dollars to get him. This is his chance to get the biggest contract of his career and if Jack Martin, who achieved very little at the Suns, can command the deal he did, there is a club out there who will pay Brad 700-800 a season. No way I see him settling for less if he’s to move away from playing with his brother.

His age bracket give him 8 points so he need to be offered 88% more than the other 25 years old AFL players, do you think 12% of them earn $750-800K+??? I would have thought only 5% earn that much (per the following salary break down) and 10% would earn more than $650-700K+ so he "should" get a band 1 compensation.

It would be a lot more than 5% in that age bracket. Very few players aged 18-22 would be on that sort of salary and there are hundreds of AFL players in that bracket.

If there are, say, 250 players aged 25+, then the top 12% is the top 30 players.

Going on the Herald Sun list, that would mean a $700-750k salary minimum

It’s pick 2 or he’s with the crows next year. Simple as that.

The club needs a stoppage coach. It’s to much responsibility on mid coach alone.
Brad keeps on coming back to ROB's tap work being an issue, but as Rowie said, Melbourne torched Brisbane in the taps, but Brisbane still won the clearance battle. Setups from stoppages are a definite issue for sure, at the moment we seem to be just conceding everything and going ultra defensive since they don't think ROB will win the tap, where it may be that they should be just roving off the opponent and being aggressive with it more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be a lot more than 5% in that age bracket. Very few players aged 18-22 would be on that sort of salary and there are hundreds of AFL players in that bracket.

If there are, say, 250 players aged 25+, then the top 12% is the top 30 players.

Going on the Herald Sun list, that would mean a $700-750k salary minimum
I tend to think he will need to be offered $700K but no where near the $800K that Maclure was saying.

Last edited:
Brad keeps on coming back to ROB's tap work being an issue, but as Rowie said, Melbourne torched Brisbane in the taps, but Brisbane still won the clearance battle. Setups from stoppages are a definite issue for sure, at the moment we seem to be just conceding everything and going ultra defensive since they don't think ROB will win the tap, where it may be that they should be just roving off the opponent and being aggressive with it more.
Some teams can read the opposition ruckman especially Brisbane given their current confidence. Any ruckman can win taps, however, it is how they use their body is the contributing factor in getting hit outs to advantage.

For starters Rob is always running at the other ruckman. Why don’t he change angles by going side on. I also notice he has no feel in taps where it’s predictable one dimensional. When Hart spoke last nigh he admitted ROB ruck craft is a problem but glossed over stating they like his work around the ground.

The key in all this is mindset.

The club needs a stoppage coach. It’s to much responsibility on mid coach alone.
But in the main we've been reasonably competitive at the stoppages and ball ins where RoB can go body on body and wrestle to his heart's content....it's our centre circle ball ups where we're getting absolutely scorched, it's no coincidence the 2 top teams on that score are West Coast (Nic Nat) and the Saints (Paddy Ryder).

We're actually ranked 11th in stoppage clearances and dead last 18th in centre clearances which IMO says our set ups are all wrong for ROB's skill set in there.

Centre Clearances 18th

Stoppage clearances 11th

But in the main we've been competitive at the stoppages and ball ins where Rog can go body on body and wrestle to his heart's content....it's our centre circle ball ups where we're getting absolutely scorched, it's no coincidence the 2 top teams on that score are West Coast (Nic Nat) and the Saints (Paddy Ryder).

We're actually ranked 11th in stoppage clearances and dead last 18th in centre clearances which IMO says our set ups are all wrong for ROB's skill set in there.

Centre Clearances 18th

Stoppage clearances 11th

Stoppages is about having set plays. But really it’s a game style type coach which crows have not had since Dean Bailey.

Or ROB not up to it. Why can’t he hake a centre bounce side on. He’s one dimensional is the problem.

Some teams can read the opposition ruckman especially Brisbane given their current confidence. Any ruckman can win taps, however, it is how they use their body is the contributing factor in getting hit outs to advantage.

For starters Rob is always running at the other ruckman. Why don’t he change angles by going side on. I also notice he has no feel in taps where it’s predictable one dimensional. When Hart spoke last nigh he admitted ROB ruck craft is a problem but glossed over stating they like his work around the ground.

The key in all this is mindset.
Wtf.... how long in our system and Hart says he has a craft problem what have they been working on.... our development programme is in serious trouble

I've been told he was told a couple weeks ago that most likely we will let him go.
He's disappointed but accepts the decision.
But Sam Maclure said last trade period Crouch was so desperate to get out of Adelaide that he met with Gold Coast twice, lowering his $1m x 6 year demand accordingly to get a deal done to get the hell out of dodge.

But in the main we've been reasonably competitive at the stoppages and ball ins where RoB can go body on body and wrestle to his heart's content....it's our centre circle ball ups where we're getting absolutely scorched, it's no coincidence the 2 top teams on that score are West Coast (Nic Nat) and the Saints (Paddy Ryder).

Centre Clearances 18th

Stoppage clearances 11th

That's always sort of been a bit of a problem for us with the ruckman we use. If you look at the differentials, we've been a break even at best at the centre bounce at best. As you say, that doesn't always flow through to the stoppages, where the body on body work suits our guys a bit better in terms of the tap work.

2015: +0.6 at CCL (7th in the league), +2.8 at SCL (3rd in the league)
2016: +0.8 at CCL (7th in the league), -0.1 at SCL (9th in the league)
2017: -1.0 (14th in the league), +2.6 at SCL (4th in the league)
2018: -1.1 (17th in the league), -1.4 at SCL (14th in the league)
2019: -0.4 (12th in the league), +0.7 at SCL (11th in the league)
2020: -6.4 (18th in the league and 4.2 more than the next worst side in Fremantle) at CCL, -2.5 at SCL (14th in the league)

No surprise to see after we lost Dangerfield and Scott Thompson lost his powers we have been in the lower part of the league when it comes to the centre bounce. Just haven't replaced the power they've generated, which even with it made us middle of the pack and haven't made adjustments to compensate for it.

To me it's simple, if it's band 1 cash, he's gone. Band 2 I'd match and be happy if he stays or we get a decent offer to consider. Compo pick 20 is not one I'd consider.

So you’d be happy to give Brad Crouch 5 years at 750k (or whatever is just below band 1)? His injury history. His history of not running two ways. The fact that there is a legitimate argument that he IS NOT a top tier footballer.

I’d rather squirrel that cash away and offer a massive deal to Rankine/Luko/other in 2 or 3 years time. Like it or not we’ve already spent our mature body for the rebuild budget on guys like Sloane and Lynch. It’s true that we don’t have a lot of young players that look like commanding big contracts in the short term, but what happens if by some miracle we do get a change at management level. The way we have done things in the past is WRONG. Signing up Brad for a reason other than the fact that we really, really want him is the way we have been doing things in the past. It’s repeating the same mistakes again.

Brad has no future here. He is 26. The next time we have a sniff he will be 30. I’d rather us put 100 games into an 18 year old pick 20 than keep him. Let alone what we might be able to do with the cash.

Wtf.... how long in our system and Hart says he has a craft problem what have they been working on.... our development programme is in serious trouble
It won't matter how long Clarke/ Godden/Coaching staff work on ROB's Centre Circle work it's more down to his lack of athleticism in there because he's not a giant in the Gawn/Sandilands/Witts so can't outreach the more athletic leaping rucks. The improvement has to come from setting up better to suit the skill set of our midfield rotations.

So you’d be happy to give Brad Crouch 5 years at 750k (or whatever is just below band 1)? His injury history. His history of not running two ways. The fact that there is a legitimate argument that he IS NOT a top tier footballer.

I’d rather squirrel that cash away and offer a massive deal to Rankine/Luko/other in 2 or 3 years time. Like it or not we’ve already spent our mature body for the rebuild budget on guys like Sloane and Lynch. It’s true that we don’t have a lot of young players that look like commanding big contracts in the short term, but what happens if by some miracle we do get a change at management level. The way we have done things in the past is WRONG. Signing up Brad for a reason other than the fact that we really, really want him is the way we have been doing things in the past. It’s repeating the same mistakes again.

Brad has no future here. He is 26. The next time we have a sniff he will be 30. I’d rather us put 100 games into an 18 year old pick 20 than keep him. Let alone what we might be able to do with the cash.

Yep, he's the only mid of our current group that I'd keep. Sloane is on more than that and he's cooked and a role player at best going forward. Matt is too one dimensuonal. They're the ones getting paid too much.

It won't matter how long Clarke/ Godden/Coaching staff work on ROB's Centre Circle work it's more down to his lack of athleticism in there because he's not a giant in the Gawn/Sandilands/Witts so can't outreach the more athletic leaping rucks. The improvement has to come from setting up better to suit the skill set of our midfield rotations.
Then he’s not our ruckman, he has no tap craft have we just accepted since he’s has been drafted he’s not going to win a tap

Back