News Club creates new position - "Head of Leadership and Culture". Who will fill it?

Who will be our "Head of Leadership and Culture"?

• J-Pod

Votes: 16 43.2%
  • Eddie Betts

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Dane Swan

Votes: 3 8.1%
  • Campo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Rhett Turton

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ben Cousins

Votes: 4 10.8%
  • Jenny Williams

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • H.R. Puffnstuff

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit of a random one but I wouldn’t be surprised if Brent Reilly is considered. He stepped away from football for a while and did a bunch of work with the well-being and personal resilience centre at SAHMRI - https://www.wellbeingandresilience.com/. They do training organisational training in this area and he was involved. Saw him speak as part of some sessions at work and he was actually quite impressive. Not suggesting he’s perfect for it but just wouldn’t be surprised if he’s considered given he is at the club and has some outside, relevant experience.

I’d still prefer a non-football person.

She just regurgitates other people's information. All her material is basically just fluff and listening to her on 5AA makes my skin crawl.
Jenny has written a book which is not 'other people's stuff'. She's a highly intelligent woman, who has also coached, very successfully, at the highest level in MULTIPLE women's sports. Give credit where it's due.

"Leadership and Culture"

Really sounds like a bullshit nothing role let's be honest. Where do they sit in the structure?

If the senior players are being precious about their position rather than taking a team-first approach will they be taking issue with them?

It's a bit like how we brought in an Integrity Officer or Compliance Officer or whatever it was after the Tippett thing. Have we heard from them since?

A made up role immediately following a **** up to say See we've fixed it.

"Leadership and Culture"

Really sounds like a bullshit nothing role let's be honest. Where do they sit in the structure?

If the senior players are being precious about their position rather than taking a team-first approach will they be taking issue with them?

It's a bit like how we brought in an Integrity Officer or Compliance Officer or whatever it was after the Tippett thing. Have we heard from them since?

Gee you're a cynic.

A lot of clubs have similar cultural officers, we are just behind the times.

This is pissweak.

The Senior Coach should fill this position, supported by the GM of Football, and Chairman and the CEO.

Our leadership is still weak and lacks gravitas, sacking a few known failures won't change that.

Very much a Dunstall idea as Hawks have had someone focused on culture for a while.

I wouldn't exactly call anything that Hawthorn does as weak leadership.

Her and Triggy couldn't be further apart. She is highly highly qualified.
I'm sure Jenny is highly,highly qualified but when I hear her speak it reminds me of Trigg.
A confident speaker who talks with an air of expertise and who left me feeling like I'd listened to a Tony Robbins seminar.
Plenty of self importance, motivational buzzwords, key indicators, collective reasoning and "happenstance." It's sounded profound but there was never any substantial information in the answer.

The head of leadership and culture should be the facility manager at a new club room where players and supporters can mingle together to experience what a football club is suppose to be like. Much like the old shed days.
A beer, a feed and a place to gather.
That will bring about a change in culture and bring everyone closer together.

"Leadership and Culture"

We circumvented the integrity officer to do the CM Camp :D

(Log in to remove this ad.)

All this guessing feels like Masked Singer.

I'll be Lindsay Lohan and suggest a random person from the USA like....Shaquille O'Neal?

JPod?
Hocking?

How many other clubs have one of these? Is it because our culture is in the toilet and our leadership non-existent that we need to create this role? If so, does creating a middleman role solve the issue of where our culture emanates from? The board sets the culture and they’re self-described as elite apparently.

Jeepers four and maybe five new positions to fill. Huge change coupled with the 700 list turner overs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How many other clubs have one of these? Is it because our culture is in the toilet and our leadership non-existent that we need to create this role? If so, does creating a middleman role solve the issue of where our culture emanates from? The board sets the culture and they’re self-described as elite apparently.

plenty of other clubs have them actually. The clubs with similar roles have already been listed in posts on this board.

Edit: quick check shows similar roles at Carlton, Collingwood, Brisbane, GWS, Hawthorn, and....Richmond.

Last edited:

Hawthorn have Michelle Nolan as their General Manager - People and Culture
Collingwood have Nick Maxwell as their Leadership & Culture Manager
GWS have Jody Masina as their General Manager, People and Culture

West Coast and Richmond don't have their staff listed, though I'd assume both of them would as their coaches are from Hawthorn.

It looks like we were well and truly behind the times with this change.

West Coast and Richmond don't have their staff listed, though I'd assume both of them would as their coaches are from Hawthorn.

That makes 4 of us. I remain unconvinced that it’s necessary if the right culture emanates from the board.

Richmond definitely have someone filling this position. Guy by the name of Shane McCurry, joined in 2016 after a string of roles across sporting organisations, major private sector orgs etc.

You can all keep saying that this is the wrong move, but it’s pretty clear it’s the norm these days.

Former Crow player and staffer Andrew Crowell at Brisbane....,Some of the local lads now on Brisbane's list love him I've heard..

Last edited:
That makes 4 of us. I remain unconvinced that it’s necessary if the right culture emanates from the board.

It's very solid company, seeing you're just missing Richmond and West Coast from the who's who of good culture (and I would say with the utmost confidence that they too have someone in this role seeing they've taken people from the Clarkson school of how to coach good).

I would also be inclined to argue the right cultures would be keen to invest in solidifying the culture below them, as risk mitigation is usually a worthwhile venture.

It's very solid company, seeing you're just missing Richmond and West Coast from the who's who of good culture (and I would say with the utmost confidence that they too have someone in this role seeing they've taken people from the Clarkson school of how to coach good).

I would also be inclined to argue the right cultures would be keen to invest in solidifying the culture below them, as risk mitigation is usually a worthwhile venture.

Read up a few posts. Richmond appointed someone to the role at end of 2016. Since then they’ve been the best team in the competition. Obviously not the sole reason for their success, but it clearly hasn’t done them any harm either.

People and Culture is just the modern corporate buzzword for Human Resources, and prior to that Personnel Management

Back