Club Doctor Stripped of Licence to Practise

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a little more complex than that. The medical board can suspend someone pending a hearing as you have suggested here. That will only occur where the complaint against the doctor is of a very serious nature and the circumstances suggest suggests to the board the doctor continuing to practice represents an immediate ongoing risk so the doctor is suspended. This could have occurred here and if so the complaints will be very serious.

Alternatively there could have been a confidential hearing already occur and the doctors ability to practice been suspended for a period of time. Suspension for a set period of time will be one of the penalties the medical board can apply. Full deregistration, clearly the most severe punishment , is also another penalty. Its not as simple as saying suspension equals investigation while punishment equals deregistration. Suspension can certainly be a punishment applied after a hearing

Whats happened in this case we don't know but its at least a serious allegation and appears to have occurred in his practice life outside the footy club.
Thx GC good input.

As such there are not going to be a large number of candidates and an AFL club may have a difficulty putting together a suitably qualified person or panel to oversee a recruitment process. Blames experience with seeing Bradshaw work at Geelong may have been as valuable a piece of information as there was to see if he was suitable for the job. I am not discounting there may be benefits to a recruiting process but at times, in this small field, it may not be the best way to go.

Sorry, can't agree with this at all. I can't see how the club can apparently have enough suitably qualified people to select a High Performance manager or Physiotherapists, but not a Sports and exercise med Physician.

Yes, it is a small-ish field, but that makes it more, not less, necessary to select the right candidate. There are, after all, varying structures that can work in the medical area of a football club, so just grabbing one on the say-so of your Director of football can play havoc with the way the department runs and affect results.

Given the poor performance of the medical, allied health and conditioning departments over the last few years, if the club place such importance upon that position, it's incumbent upon them to find the best possible person that fits.

It may well have been Bradshaw, but we'll never know if the club just keeps putting people into positions without due process.

I bet it was for making his patients wait too long in the waiting room

They should all be banned for that... how hard is it to keep an appointment :mad:

Sorry, can't agree with this at all. I can't see how the club can apparently have enough suitably qualified people to select a High Performance manager or Physiotherapists, but not a Sports and exercise med Physician.

Yes, it is a small-ish field, but that makes it more, not less, necessary to select the right candidate. There are, after all, varying structures that can work in the medical area of a football club, so just grabbing one on the say-so of your Director of football can play havoc with the way the department runs and affect results.

Given the poor performance of the medical, allied health and conditioning departments over the last few years, if the club place such importance upon that position, it's incumbent upon them to find the best possible person that fits.

It may well have been Bradshaw, but we'll never know if the club just keeps putting people into positions without due process.

Who do you think we should target as our high performance manager (or whatevr we've decided to call it this year) Big Charlie?

Couple of points I would make.

Re the poor performance of the medical, allied health and conditioning staff I was wondering how you reached the conclusion that was the case. I don't know what their performance has been like as I don't have the information or expertise to assess it. How have you reached your conclusion.

As to due process and an appointment by committee who do you see as being suitable to oversee the appointment of these part time positions. Do you think someone like Bradshaw, who was well thought of at the time and in a position at Geelong, would have been available if you had asked him to go through a selection process. In many fields, where numbers are small and only a few candidates would fit the position people are headhunted all the time.

Often if you want a well credentialed medical officer in this small field they will already be working elsewhere and so not open to just throwing their hat into the ring. It may be a selection process was possible but my gut feel would be in this area that may not always be the best method. In the same way if we had gone after an established coach like a Clarkson or Roos that would have been done by a direct approach and sounding out the person rather than a formal interview process of various candidates. It's horses for courses.

I bet it was for making his patients wait too long in the waiting room

They should all be banned for that... how hard is it to keep an appointment :mad:

I have family that work in GP clinics. The delays are usually caused by patients:

- Booking in for a standard appointment, when they need a longer consult.
- Emergencies, when a patient is very ill.
- Other patients running late, messing up the schedule.

The AHPRA website says he has been reprimanded, so presumably it’s more than just a suspension pending investigation. Other than that, who knows?

I have family that work in GP clinics. The delays are usually caused by patients:

- Booking in for a standard appointment, when they need a longer consult.
- Emergencies, when a patient is very ill.
- Other patients running late, messing up the schedule.
I'm sorry but that doesn't wash when I've never ever ever been seen on time once!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It happens every single day champ. Just accept it as a fact of life and move on.
Nope, not going to accept it's the patients problem when I and everyone else I know gets there on time, you have your own unique perspective from your vantage point 'champ' but it will never change mine

It's called an informed view.
It's biased and doesn't reflect reality (proof of the pudding and all) but no use trashing a thread over it, you have your view based on personal experience and I have mine and never shall the twain meet, all good

I'm sorry but that doesn't wash when I've never ever ever been seen on time once!
Ahhh but the Doctor has to work through your many and varied incarnations.....

:p

It's called an informed view.

See, I disagree with this.

I, too, have never once been seen on time for a medical appointment, anywhere. The "unpredictable" delays are indeed very predictable, because as you say, they happen every single day. These things always happen because that's the nature of the profession, so appointment scheduling should take this into account.

It appears to me that doctors often schedule for an indident free day, which is not a practice based in reality because no day ever seems to pan out that way.

Doctors should be expected to plan for a realistic patient load. But, unfortunately they don't, because that doesn't make them as much money, because it will result in them seeing less patients. Those patients, with the benefit of honest appointment setting, would more often go elsewhere (bad for business). The outcome? Patients never get seen on time.

It is the patients who suffer from this. Doctors obviously value their own time very highly, and they rightfully charge a lot for that time because they are highly skilled professionals. It is my experience, however, that doctors, through their extremely unrealistic scheduling habits, do not value their patients' time very much at all. I too am in a profession where people pay a hell of a lot for my time. Unexpected things happen every day because that's the nature of the beast, so I plan my day for the predictably unpredictable things that happen. The result? My days are still full, but my clients are duly respected and get seen on time. Usually. Sometimes this isn't possible and things happen, but I let my clients (or I ask my secretary to let my clients, if I can't get away) know IN ADVANCE of their appointment time, that I won't be able to see them at the scheduled time. They can then plan their day more effectively. Doctors should be expected to do this when they fall behind their appointment schedule, but in my experience they don't. People are just expected to turn up and wait.

But, I digress. I take it nobody knows what our club doctor did?

See, I disagree with this.

I, too, have never once been seen on time for a medical appointment, anywhere. The "unpredictable" delays are indeed very predictable, because as you say, they happen every single day. These things always happen because that's the nature of the profession, so appointment scheduling should take this into account.

It appears to me that doctors often schedule for an indident free day, which is not a practice based in reality because no day ever seems to pan out that way.

Doctors should be expected to plan for a realistic patient load. But, unfortunately they don't, because that doesn't make them as much money, because it will result in them seeing less patients. Those patients, with the benefit of honest appointment setting, would more often go elsewhere (bad for business). The outcome? Patients never get seen on time.

It is the patients who suffer from this. Doctors obviously value their own time very highly, and they rightfully charge a lot for that time because they are highly skilled professionals. It is my experience, however, that doctors, through their extremely unrealistic scheduling habits, do not value their patients' time very much at all. I too am in a profession where people pay a hell of a lot for my time. Unexpected things happen every day because that's the nature of the beast, so I plan my day for the predictably unpredictable things that happen. The result? My days are still full, but my clients are duly respected and get seen on time. Usually. Sometimes this isn't possible and things happen, but I let my clients (or I ask my secretary to let my clients, if I can't get away) know IN ADVANCE of their appointment time, that I won't be able to see them at the scheduled time. They can then plan their day more effectively. Doctors should be expected to do this when they fall behind their appointment schedule, but in my experience they don't. People are just expected to turn up and wait.

But, I digress. I take it nobody knows what our club doctor did?

Great post sums it up very well.

I was a production scheduler for about a year. I had seen previous people in this role constantly bullshit to customers with unrealistic lead times. The end result was pissed of customers.

I implemented & half day of nothing on Weds & Fri. I had many arguments with my manager. In the end it worked beautifully. Much less customer complaints, better retention of customers. As an added bonus we were sometimes able to offer "quick turnarounds" for an important customer who needed a quick job done.

Pretty simple really.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back