Club finances

Remove this Banner Ad

no1saint66

Premium Platinum
Apr 14, 2016
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm interested in seeing the annual report for 2016. If we bring in roughly the same as last year we are way below everyone else, including the Doggies and Melbourne. Around $34million last year compared to the doggies $48million. Where are we going wrong? We're on a special distribution fund allocation with GC and GWS. WTH? Yes Etihad is a disaster financially, and next year will improve our bottom line, but our middle range sponsors are non existent, our merchandise sales are embarrassingly low, the revenue from memberships is low compared to others with comparable numbers and our corporate dining is an embarrassment.

Our team is on the right track. Our rebuild has been flawless. Our trade period performance was superb. Yet our finances are well below where they should be. Is our board and President the right team to get us to the next level? They're great people, but are they providing the commercial opportunities and connections to ensure we're are financially sustainable? The CEO can only do so much, the club in my opinion needs a strong business network.

What are people's thoughts on this? Debt is too high and nothing will be retired this year. The Moorabbin redevelopment will increase that debt even more. I'm concerned.

I'm interested in seeing the annual report for 2016. If we bring in roughly the same as last year we are way below everyone else, including the Doggies and Melbourne. Around $34million last year compared to the doggies $48million. Where are we going wrong? We're on a special distribution fund allocation with GC and GWS. WTH? Yes Etihad is a disaster financially, and next year will improve our bottom line, but our middle range sponsors are non existent, our merchandise sales are embarrassingly low, the revenue from memberships is low compared to others with comparable numbers and our corporate dining is an embarrassment.

Our team is on the right track. Our rebuild has been flawless. Our trade period performance was superb. Yet our finances are well below where they should be. Is our board and President the right team to get us to the next level? They're great people, but are they providing the commercial opportunities and connections to ensure we're are financially sustainable? The CEO can only do so much, the club in my opinion needs a strong business network.

What are people's thoughts on this? Debt is too high and nothing will be retired this year. The Moorabbin redevelopment will increase that debt even more. I'm concerned.

Moorabbin is a community development and will be shared with a mass of other stake holders. It won't be a lot out of our pockets. When you are down the timeslots and fixtureing can kill your bottom line. On field performance often takes time to filter through to memberships. Losing in SA first round probably hurt sign ons too. I reckon we generated a lot of positive direction last season and it should show on the books next year. If we back it up with a finals finish we should really hit some serious numbers.

Moorabbin is a community development and will be shared with a mass of other stake holders. It won't be a lot out of our pockets. When you are down the timeslots and fixtureing can kill your bottom line. On field performance often takes time to filter through to memberships. Losing in SA first round probably hurt sign ons too. I reckon we generated a lot of positive direction last season and it should show on the books next year. If we back it up with a finals finish we should really hit some serious numbers.

The clubs contribution is around $4million. Hawthorn and the other big clubs are literally doubling our income. How is it the doggies are bringing in $15million more?

With the AFL taking over Etihad, wont we do better financially out of home games>

Doggies are under the exact same deal if not worse. How is it they are bringing in so much more? Etihad won't return $15million in a season.

Revenues rise and fall depending on the success of the club especially for a club like ours.
So you're not really comparing apples with apples.
Technically the club is insolvent but the AFL is the key and they realise we have contributed more than our fair share to the payment of Etihad over the journey whilst getting very little in return.
That will change.
AFL's purchase of Etihad will lead to a better deal, more revenue as will the Moorabbin redevelopment.
On top of all that improved onfield performance is leading to better sponsorship deals, more membership and bigger crowds.
You need to look across a number of years, across the cycle of success and failure to genuinely compare us against another club.
Basically it looks bad but we've actually hit bottom and now on the rise.
Good times and a financially sound club are just around the corner.

I understand all of that, yet the doggies who are under the same deal are still ahead by a huge margin. Melbourne who have struggled even more than us on field are way above us as well.

My point is we are rock bottom last besides the two expansion clubs in every revenue stream. Do you really think a new Etihad deal (which the doggies will also benefit from) and increased membership will add another $10-15million? The problem is as Matt said at a members meeting this year is the low value memberships being added to our tally. It's not significantly adding to the revenue stream. The low numbers of reserved seats holders is also a factor. He also mentioned that now we have two major sponsors they can now focus on the middle tier sponsors which are low at the moment. Why is our merchandise so low?

Yes we will improve next year, but so will everyone else which still leaves us behind. We still don't have a sustainable non football related revenue stream. I'm worried we are being left behind.

IMG_5407.PNG

And the fact is, we haven't had a new major sponsor since Pepper, and that is hardly a big name. What happened to all that talk about a car company?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I hate to be the voice of doom but if we don't fully commit to NZ we will be out of the comp within 15 years. Before everyone goes apeshit, when I say fully commit I don't mean relocate. What I mean is us playing 2 home games and 1 pre-season game per year at a fully redeveloped Wellington. If we don't do this, when the AFL next start to actively wanting to get rid of a Victorian team I'm afraid it will be us.

Pepper Money and Dare (brand face for Lion) are two great major sponsors. It's the levels leading up to them that are empty.

Audi chose Hawthorn.

I agree, NZ could be the game changer for the club like embracing the SE in 1965 was. The flight time is not much more than Perth and provides an opportunity to build a new fan base and talent pool to draw upon. Hopefully the new Auckland Council and Mayor proceed with the new boutique stadium in Western Springs ASAP.

superb post. i'd argue its the best post we've had outside of the football dept related posts

disappointing thing is people seem to go straight for the defencive post instead of looking at what you wrote

you are absolutely spot on with your observations, we are under performing again off-field. those stating that it will pick up when the teams performance picks up, obviously do not re-call our lack of striking when the iron was hot in 2008-2011.

we just did not maximise all of our available revenue streams

we should be demanding more of the board and admin, not defending what is a really bad position

I hate to be the voice of doom but if we don't fully commit to NZ we will be out of the comp within 15 years. Before everyone goes apeshit, when I say fully commit I don't mean relocate. What I mean is us playing 2 home games and 1 pre-season game per year at a fully redeveloped Wellington. If we don't do this, when the AFL next start to actively wanting to get rid of a Victorian team I'm afraid it will be us.
Lmao

superb post. i'd argue its the best post we've had outside of the football dept related posts

disappointing thing is people seem to go straight for the defencive post instead of looking at what you wrote

you are absolutely spot on with your observations, we are under performing again off-field. those stating that it will pick up when the teams performance picks up, obviously do not re-call our lack of striking when the iron was hot in 2008-2011.

we should be demanding more of the board and admin, not defending what is a really bad position
How can we compare that era to now. Nettlefold is the worst CEO we've ever had.

I'm not sure the people we had in place over those years were really up to it, too many egos, and old Rossco's " bubble" never really helped either. Seems to me the people we have now are quietly going about their business building the club up...or at least it seems so. They are certainly a lot more open and inclusive and initiatives like the Pride game give us more exposure.

Certainly a more upmarket sponsor would help...pity we didn't include Audi in the trade deal with the Hawks :rolleyes:

One of my mates ordered over $1000 worth of gear jumpers, shirts, shorts whole heap of stuff 2 years ago,
after waiting over 10 weeks cancelled his order. Brought his gear from a AFL shop in a shopping centre.
Tried to do the right thing by the club and buy through them.

What a load of rubbish. The thing is the AFL don't really care about clubs making profit or losses because they bail you out anyway. It would be different if the AFL were also making huge losses which they aren't. As for NZ well Wellington is done because no one watched the games. And if we are relying on NZ then we really are stuffed. You go and on about it but luckily you don't run the club. We are safe, very safe.

How can we compare that era to now. Nettlefold is the worst CEO we've ever had.
I agree but there are also other clubs who are performing better than us off-field in times of poorer performance

The reality is we are under performing financially have been for sometime

What a load of rubbish. The thing is the AFL don't really care about clubs making profit or losses because they bail you out anyway. It would be different if the AFL were also making huge losses which they aren't. As for NZ well Wellington is done because no one watched the games. And if we are relying on NZ then we really are stuffed. You go and on about it but luckily you don't run the club. We are safe, very safe.
The AFL will not keep bailing out teams. If you believe this then you believe in Santa as well. It is only a matter of time before the AFL get serious again and offer/force a relocation. Alas I am wasting my time trying to chat sensibly with you as you are a serial pest from saintsational who loves to just cause trouble.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back