Club finances

Remove this Banner Ad

You obviously love the Saints as much as I do. The difference between us is that I am able to look at our dire financial situation objectively.

You're a typical (old fashioned) Greek GJD23. Emotional, short sighted and when you don't agree with someone you attack the man rather than have a mature discussion. There is really no need for you to say my post is QUOTE 'rubbish' END QUOTE, and QUOTE 'I mean honestly I don't even know why I'm responding to such stupid comments' END QUOTE. If my comments are so stupid then put me on your ignore list. Pretty simple really.

You are looking through thorn glasses. Can you explain how 2 games in NZ helps keep us afloat? Can you explain all the AFL sides that have merged or folded n the last 10 years since the TV rights have gone through the roof.

TL;DR : we have a big basin of rich supporter targets; chill we're going to be fine.

---------

Let's look at this from a slightly different way, regional supporter base demographics.

Assuming the afl becomes more tribal at the local level as it grows national ("this is my local team") which applies already outside vic but not yet fully in vic, and the NBA / NFL is the logical conclusion, then you need to look at the surface area (suburbs) we cover.

In vic there are four teams that have huge potential surface area; Geelong (obvious) , hawthorn (eastern suburbs), bulldogs (western suburbs), and us (southern suburbs).

The rest fight over the inner suburbs.

Given that the eastern and southern suburbs are generally the richest, they are potentially the most attractive to high value sponsors.

Hawthorn are 7-8 years ahead of us on the corporate front (and the success on field front) and look at them.

Assuming we follow a similar path there is no logical reason (only failure bias) to assume we can't have a club in a similar financial position.

You obviously love the Saints as much as I do. The difference between us is that I am able to look at our dire financial situation objectively.

You're a typical (old fashioned) Greek GJD23. Emotional, short sighted and when you don't agree with someone you attack the man rather than have a mature discussion. There is really no need for you to say my post is QUOTE 'rubbish' END QUOTE, and QUOTE 'I mean honestly I don't even know why I'm responding to such stupid comments' END QUOTE. If my comments are so stupid then put me on your ignore list. Pretty simple really.
Do you have any ideas? Did you even know we were still looking at playing in NZ? Did you think that the redevelopment of Moorabbin WASN'T a sign that the AFL is backing us in? If so, how? Nothing to do with my ethnicity lol, you made a stupid comment and I explained why.

As long as the AFL continues to bring in the biggest tv rights deal in the land and record sponsorship we are fine

Tv ratings etc are all going up not down. Tv networks have never been more reliant on premium live sport.

Saints future is without doubt safe for the next 20 years

Our future is not my concern with our Financials

Hawks were nearly folded and stayed the course and went on to be a power house. When you are down it makes you poor and for a long time we lacked direction. Teams with massive pokies revenue also make much more profit. Anyway, we will be better off once the AFL own Etihad for a start and with success decent fixturing will be a massive boost. If we time it right we should be getting big crowds just as we negotiate a stadium deal where we actually profit from it.

I'm extremely confident that the club is heading the right direction. As mentioned above, Richmond have displayed that sound off-field management leads to better financial returns, and this is excluding on-field success.

Of course it is, you're talking about Richmond.

Do you have any ideas? Did you even know we were still looking at playing in NZ? Did you think that the redevelopment of Moorabbin WASN'T a sign that the AFL is backing us in? If so, how? Nothing to do with my ethnicity lol, you made a stupid comment and I explained why.
Αυτός εστίν πρόβατο.

Jack of all trades aren't you Perse? :D
I'm a theologian, I had to learn Greek. Plus I try to retain ecumenical dialogue with the Greek Orthodox as part of my job. I'm actually teaching my 6yo daughter Greek now, which is helping me brush up on it a bit, too. It's a beautiful language to learn. They are a remarkable people, with an astonishing culture... and the last thing I would describe that culture as having, in my experience with them, is "short-term thinking". Hell, they don't take anything seriously unless it's at least a thousand years old.

I'm a theologian, I had to learn Greek. Plus I try to retain ecumenical dialogue with the Greek Orthodox as part of my job. I'm actually teaching my 6yo daughter Greek now, which is helping me brush up on it a bit, too. It's a beautiful language to learn. They are a remarkable people, with an astonishing culture... and the last thing I would describe that culture as having, in my experience with them, is "short-term thinking". Hell, they don't take anything seriously unless it's at least a thousand years old.
Lol you are right there. My younger sister's college removed it from their subjects this year so she took it upon herself to continue learning it at home - great to learn! Food isn't bad either ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we are not financially sustainable and independent, we will always be at the mercy of the AFL. It means our facilities will be second class to the big clubs, our ability to expand as a club in terms of supporters will be limited. The club as a whole brand has in my opinion not reached it's full potential in terms of crowds, members, active supporters, brand saturation across television, merchandise sales and social media presence. Until we are financially independent and have the ability to expand continually and not suffer lean years between successful seasons, we will always be a small player in the AFL.

Our debt it getting precariously close to being a un-manageable. Finnis has already stated this year that no debt will be retired. The interest payments on these loans are a waste of resources. The new Moorabbin facilities will most likely add debt. This is not going to disappear anytime soon. When the clubs finances improve as the on field results climb, that money will have to retire debt rather than being used for investment in facilities, staff and resources to ensure a premiership.

Hawks were nearly folded and stayed the course and went on to be a power house. When you are down it makes you poor and for a long time we lacked direction. Teams with massive pokies revenue also make much more profit. Anyway, we will be better off once the AFL own Etihad for a start and with success decent fixturing will be a massive boost. If we time it right we should be getting big crowds just as we negotiate a stadium deal where we actually profit from it.

Hawks have won 4 premierships in 8 years and have a huge wave of members coming through who were kids during their massive success in the 80s

Give us those things and we'd be a powerhouse too.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/subscri...b341aad8027e23e77feb7857b9c&memtype=anonymous

How typical is this of the Saints financial management? Signing with a company tbr goes bust a week later!
Pump your brakes. It's a private company, a full credit risk assessment is not necessarily undertaken or possible especiallly when it is a subsidiary of a larger company like this one.
If anything a full financial close may not have happened.
Bottomline we don't know what the genuine financial impact is, only that 5 other clubs are in the same situation.

But I know you like to find any excuse to put the boot into the club so carry on....

You love it more when the club stuff up and then when we are successful. Amazing.
I heard the news as it broke this arvo on SEN.........was a little shocked to hear it....especially after all the posts on here(good and bad) re the new BLK jumpers and training gear......and also after the club put the training gear on the website last week.

Not great news but I'm sure the club will swing into action.......glad it was now and not closer to when the initial volume orders are placed at years end or early next year...

It hasn't been a great few weeks for the club...publically at least....first the news of the VCAT hearing and now BLK.....

On we march......I'm sure it all will be great in the finish.

the moorabbin thing sounds like an absolute cluster * and like someone who used to work for the club pointed out, its the same issue that forced us to seaford, so surely with the planned move back we would have found a way to sort that out before we got this far down the path

Remove this Banner Ad

Back