Club finances

Remove this Banner Ad

Payments to employees and suppliers up 4 plus mill. Repayments on loans down about the same. Without knowing the extent of borrowings ( too lazy to compare last with this year as the results dont make sense on the report ) it seems a lot to not be repaying between years.

All in all we made a "profit" because Gill said we could and gave us a lazy 5 mill.

Payments to employees and suppliers up 4 plus mill. Repayments on loans down about the same. Without knowing the extent of borrowings ( too lazy to compare last with this year as the results dont make sense on the report ) it seems a lot to not be repaying between years.

All in all we made a "profit" because Gill said we could and gave us a lazy 5 mill.
I hope we havent spent the 5m the AFL gave us for the moorabbin redevelopment

Earnest and serious question here Joff

Does it matter if the club isn't run financially the same way as a stand alone business?

The actual business is the afl, and the saints are part of the product

So the afl funding the product to generate sales and profit (which it does well) seems like sensible business.

Earnest and serious question here Joff

Does it matter if the club isn't run financially the same way as a stand alone business?

The actual business is the afl, and the saints are part of the product

So the afl funding the product to generate sales and profit (which it does well) seems like sensible business.
No it isnt. As you point out the AFL owns the club and will bail it out as it wants 18 clubs forbroadcast rights.

AFL industry employs thousands so it wants the clubs run well.

I think the club is being run well and it shows in the results, however I just get amused at supporters getting exvited by a reported profit or upset by a reported loss.

Bal Sheet and Cash Flow looks OK.

Think the club is heading in the direction the AFL expects. Finnis and co are going well.

5 mill cash injection and long term borrowing only go down a mill.
Acculm loss only down 800k.

Not ideal.

Good news is that the cash flows look ok with payables down a mill and receivables up significantly.
Pretty happy with the reported cash flows. Will have a closer look mow
Joffaboy..........I look forward to your further review/comments.......perception can be everything in this business and at least the headlines aren't screaming that we made another loss.

Matt Finnis was on SEN with Frank and Ox this morning. Covered everything from the financials ( including the club's stance on pokies and betting agencies) to the redevelopment, Nick's captaincy and the BLK disaster (my word).
Worth a listen if anyone can post a link.

Matt Finnis was on SEN with Frank and Ox this morning. Covered everything from the financials ( including the club's stance on pokies and betting agencies) to the redevelopment, Nick's captaincy and the BLK disaster (my word).

Having listened to Finnis it is clear the club's poker machines will form part of its business model going forward.

The delay in the Moorabbin redevelopment, as a result of the appeal to VCAT about the club's poker machines, won't change the club's intent to use the machines as part of its revenue base.

Finnis was typically diplomatic and upbeat. But he was clear about the need for the revenue from the machines going forward.

Yes, unfortunately he definitely wasn't talking about dumping them anytime in the the near future. However he was pretty upfront about not using the betting agencies and deriving any benefit from them. I hated seeing the centrebet logo on our jumper.

What did he say in regards to BLK?

Any hint as to plans?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What did he say in regards to BLK?

Any hint as to plans?

He said they are still working through it with the help of the AFL as there are six teams impacted, but there have been no shortage of offers from other suppliers.

Yes, unfortunately he definitely wasn't talking about dumping them anytime in the the near future. However he was pretty upfront about not using the betting agencies and deriving any benefit from them. I hated seeing the centrebet logo on our jumper.
I agree with your thoughts on The Centrebet logo there Diehard Saint

All of the Saints crew I go to games with and myself hated seeing the logo on our jumper......I remember always saying...."beggars can't be choosy "

I think they were only on the jumper for one,maybe two years.. ...Thank goodness that Ledified jumped on board 2013 for 2 seasons......

No one would touch us with a barge pole after the "School girl" scandal........that incident caused IMO a huge amount of damage dollar wise and perception wise to the club.

My gut feeling was always telling me that she made it all up.....especially as the club and the AFL went to ground on it.....and the media didn't follow up on a few of her big accusations.

It was the old saying..."Never let the facts get in the way of a sensational story"

LOL.

The cash flows are poor compared to the expenses. You only have to look at the expenses for merchandise, membership, events/sponsorship to see how little the club makes on those things.

Hopefully we see some jumps in the profit lines for each of those in 2017.

I'd have another gambling company as a sponsor if they give the team good money, would clearly prefer other companies though.

Anbody know how North have reportedly managed to improve their financial position whilst eliminating pokie revenue? In an ideal world, I'd like us to do that, but I think it is a pipe dream, and a way for smaller clubs to fall further behind in football department spending.

And if we don't maintain pokie machine licences in the Moorabbin area, Hawthorn will when they move to Dingley.

I do think it's a bit hypocritical for the clubs to sign up to responsible gambling agreements when they reap so much revenue.

As a comparison....Hawthorns net operating profit was 2.4 mill. In another league sadly.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
Yes....I just saw the "Family Clubs" profit result on AFL.com......I'm very envious....I'd be very interested what their Pokie revenue/profit was.......in 2015,it was nearly 20 Mill Rev on total revenue of just under 80 Mill from memory.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back