Club for Baranduda?

Remove this Banner Ad

The Toecutter

All Australian
Feb 25, 2007
wodonga
AFL Club
Essendon
I have heard recently the Wodonga City Council is keen on the idea of a club being established or relocated (Wodonga Saints?) in Baranduda. The Saints are believed to be lukewarm on the idea, especially after relocating from Bethanga 7 years ago. The council have already relocated a cricket club (Paragon) out there and see a football club as the next logical step, with it's ever growing population especially for the development of junior football and the community as a whole. They have already established a quality oval out there but want it to be used year around. Will this ever happen:confused:

I have heard recently the Wodonga City Council is keen on the idea of a club being established or relocated (Wodonga Saints?) in Baranduda. The Saints are believed to be lukewarm on the idea, especially after relocating from Bethanga 7 years ago. The council have already relocated a cricket club (Paragon) out there and see a football club as the next logical step, with it's ever growing population especially for the development of junior football and the community as a whole. They have already established a quality oval out there but want it to be used year around. Will this ever happen:confused:

Toecutter, you are the Craig Hutchinson of the Tallangatta League, breaking the big stories. First, move the grand final, now a team for Baranduda. Have you heard this from a reliable source on the council ? If so, it would be a great idea for the township of Baranduda, as it will grow & grow out there. Close to town and will be in a good league for guys who don't want to play O&M. Can only be successful with the full backing of the council tho. Whether it be the Saints or not I think it will work. My personal opinion is that it would be better for them to try to start from scratch, and not inherit the problems & reputation of the Saints. But who knows - reputations can turn around pretty quickly as we've seen.

Toecutter, you are the Craig Hutchinson of the Tallangatta League, breaking the big stories. First, move the grand final, now a team for Baranduda. Have you heard this from a reliable source on the council ? If so, it would be a great idea for the township of Baranduda, as it will grow & grow out there. Close to town and will be in a good league for guys who don't want to play O&M. Can only be successful with the full backing of the council tho. Whether it be the Saints or not I think it will work. My personal opinion is that it would be better for them to try to start from scratch, and not inherit the problems & reputation of the Saints. But who knows - reputations can turn around pretty quickly as we've seen.
Don't worry RS, 'Hutchy' might have a few more 'scoops' later on in the TDFL and O and M season as it draws to a close:)

Don't worry RS, 'Hutchy' might have a few more 'scoops' later on in the TDFL and O and M season as it draws to a close:)

Waste of time putting the Saints out there... They have been applying to play there for the past couple of years. Leave the saints at Martin Park and put a new team out there..?
It may or may not work, but you would have to think, how many players that would drive past that ground on there way to Yack, Kiewa & Dederang, could they be inticed.....
Would not think players would be a problem at Baranduda, as the Saint's coach lives out there, as well as Michael Nixon from Howlong, Matt Hooper & Nathan Ardern from Barny.

Waste of time putting the Saints out there... They have been applying to play there for the past couple of years. Leave the saints at Martin Park and put a new team out there..?
It may or may not work, but you would have to think, how many players that would drive past that ground on there way to Yack, Kiewa & Dederang, could they be inticed.....
Would not think players would be a problem at Baranduda, as the Saint's coach lives out there, as well as Michael Nixon from Howlong, Matt Hooper & Nathan Ardern from Barny.
What are the Saints doing wrong now?
How many players live in wodonga, who travel all over the country side for a game of footy? Why can't they intice them to Martin park.
When "Chuck" was coaching they had players everywhere, but still struggled to field a 3rds side. Maybe putting all their efforts into senior footy at the expense of juniors is comming back to bite them now?

Are you fair dinkum? Totally ludricrous to believe the TDFL could sustain another side near Wodonga at the moment. It is my belief clubs in the league are less than satisfied with the Saints failure to attract juniors again this season and the rumblings will get louder. :thumbsu:

Are you fair dinkum? Totally ludricrous to believe the TDFL could sustain another side near Wodonga at the moment. It is my belief clubs in the league are less than satisfied with the Saints failure to attract juniors again this season and the rumblings will get louder. :thumbsu:

its funny how raiders and wodonga can field 5 under 17 sides if you count sunday juniors??? the saints should look at moving or fix there juniors!!!!

An old thread i know but word is a group of locals out there are keen on having a footy club out there whether it be new or relocated. With the ground/facitlities out there being upgraded could this be the time the Saints bite the bullet and have a crack at making the move?:confused: The council are keen and the Doggies aren't doing them any favours with the ground rental. Any Saints supporters got an opinion?:confused::confused::confused:

What a top idea to have that the new home of the TDFL. An oval with drainage and water supply. Brand new facilitys and the ability to get grants to keep upgrading them.
Close to the big population base and central to the heart of the newley developed league. Meybe to much forsite for our adminastrators.!!!!!!

What a top idea to have that the new home of the TDFL. An oval with drainage and water supply. Brand new facilitys and the ability to get grants to keep upgrading them.
Close to the big population base and central to the heart of the newley developed league. Meybe to much forsite for our adminastrators.!!!!!!
While the same old league delegates are in charge i can't see them relocating the finals out there if the ground was redeveloped for football. They obviously aren't interested in playing at the best grounds available. Baranduda is a rapidly growing area and is bigger than Kiewa, Barnwartha and Mitta as it is. I think whether it be a new or relocated club they could be another Thurgoona. If it was the Saints to go out there would the community support a club with so much 'baggage'?:confused::confused::confused:

My sources confirm the original Toecutter scoop. A mate of my brother-in-laws was doing some plumbing on the tired old toilets at Sandy Creek when he overheard two blokes who were poisoning the grass out there in readiness for the finals say that their boss at Wodonga Rural City said they were building a new stadium at Baranduda for both Wodonga AND Wodonga Saints! The result? The toilets work... there was no grass on the oval this year and apparently WRC already have a site earmarked - IF the TDFL agree to play a GF there!

My sources confirm the original Toecutter scoop. A mate of my brother-in-laws was doing some plumbing on the tired old toilets at Sandy Creek when he overheard two blokes who were poisoning the grass out there in readiness for the finals say that their boss at Wodonga Rural City said they were building a new stadium at Baranduda for both Wodonga AND Wodonga Saints! The result? The toilets work... there was no grass on the oval this year and apparently WRC already have a site earmarked - IF the TDFL agree to play a GF there!

They have just built new rooms at Baranduda Dome !!!! The only problem if they played there would be entry and parking. It's like Urana Oval any every man and there dog can walk in for nothing. Also there's no space for parking it's a bloody housing estate .

Just wondering if those farmers killing the weeds didn't get the paddock and the oval mixed up. It looked bloody terrible on the TV would hate to play on !!! Get your act together TDFL and move in town or at least a better oval !!!

ReggieRay - Sandy Creek by any intelligent person's reckoning is looking tired and run down. It looks like a place that is only used a few weekends a year and that is disappointing - given the quality of the last game played there. Sorry about that. The ground is dangerously uneven... if the groundsman can read the spray can he would have known he put the broadleaf weedkiller on too late... timekeepers are forced to stand all day... the scoreboard can only be operated by children... and people from a third world country would reject those toilets! And now even the beancounters are telling us it's just not worth it!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Chucky4 you have something there... I was hoping this forum might reveal new ways of trying a final or two in a major population centre. But you are right... "the same old league delegates are in charge" and they are tired - asleep at the wheel even. Head in the sand mentality and an IQ you could write on a Queensland numberplate! No chance of change while the bully-boys have more votes than any other club. Which reminds me of the one... I hope I go like my dear grandfather did... in his sleep. Not screaming like his passengers!

Thay are the same people who dont want the saleyards moved. Maybe this is a good spot for a new oval!!!!

Geez... I must be slowing down. I never made the connection, but looking at the local newspaper articles on the yards I think you're right! I might be slowing down but I'm not 'dead' yet!

Thay are the same people who dont want the saleyards moved. Maybe this is a good spot for a new oval!!!!
Wodonga Saints are firmly committed to staying in Wodonga at least in the short to medium term. Expect to see either Rugby or Soccer being played on the Baranduda ground in 2012. Baranduda Rangers Soccer Club...how sad is that.:(:(:(

ReggieRay - Sandy Creek by any intelligent person's reckoning is looking tired and run down. It looks like a place that is only used a few weekends a year and that is disappointing - given the quality of the last game played there. Sorry about that. The ground is dangerously uneven... if the groundsman can read the spray can he would have known he put the broadleaf weedkiller on too late... timekeepers are forced to stand all day... the scoreboard can only be operated by children... and people from a third world country would reject those toilets! And now even the beancounters are telling us it's just not worth it!

:footy::footy::footy:
Totally agree here with Grand final ground being moved, I have seen the O&K league do it and have alot of benefits for all clubs involved.
I watched Mitta and Dedarang a few years ago and had to take cover from the rain by lying under a massive 4 wheel drive, not a good set up out there.
Wodonga or Raiders would be great venue's for TDFL grand final.
:footy::footy::footy:

BLUES2012

Why would Wodonga Saints want to stay in town when they can move out to Baranduda and establish an identity? They can't compete with the O&M clubs and surely they can't afford to keep getting ripped off by the bulldogs.
Go to Baranduda and pay less money, establish some good facilities that entice players and have a ready made local supporter base to bring in more money through the gates and over the bar. Last time I went to a Saints game they would've been lucky to have 20 supporters there. Why are they punishing themselves?

Why would Wodonga Saints want to stay in town when they can move out to Baranduda and establish an identity? They can't compete with the O&M clubs and surely they can't afford to keep getting ripped off by the bulldogs.
Go to Baranduda and pay less money, establish some good facilities that entice players and have a ready made local supporter base to bring in more money through the gates and over the bar. Last time I went to a Saints game they would've been lucky to have 20 supporters there. Why are they punishing themselves?

Good to see the story about the Baranduda Sporting Complex the WodongaCity Council are looking at.Lets hope the TDFL gets on the front foot and start talking to them about making this their H/Q for the league. Just the shot in the arm the league needs.Then again this was talked about in 2007

Congrats to see the Saints have realised that Baranduda is a logical long term home for their club and are looking at abandoning Wodonga. There is no reason why the club can't turn itself around and become another Thurgoona. I just wonder whether keeping the Saints brand is worthwhile as perceptions are hard to change, maybe the Baranduda Rangers like the cricket club out there?:thumbsu:

Congrats to see the Saints have realised that Baranduda is a logical long term home for their club and are looking at abandoning Wodonga. There is no reason why the club can't turn itself around and become another Thurgoona. I just wonder whether keeping the Saints brand is worthwhile as perceptions are hard to change, maybe the Baranduda Rangers like the cricket club out there?:thumbsu:

Well I have heard that it might be a full house at the Baranduda Sporting Complex. With a soccer club and another cricket looking at going out there.Let's just say that the two clubs share the same ground in town !!! Feel sorry for the Rangers they have been forced out there years ago and are struggling for numbers etc. But if the other club goes out there who are succesful and I lived out there I know what club I would go to !!!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back