Event Club Q&A - 17th June

Remove this Banner Ad

Did you read the article I put up review of the reviewers ?
Bassett obviously is very worried about the direction of the club, and both Finnis and Leathlean in the past month have gone to the board and questioned how things are being done

I now officially like Bassat and I don't usually like anyone. He's making all the right noises at the moment. Part of our issues is that we can't u turn out of the wrong path. We double down and ride it until the end of the road. We need to start looking at what isn't working and fix it. He gets a tick for even recognising it.

What have I glossed over? Have you read some of my comments lately regarding Ratten and the state of the list?

Yes your comment had been reported three times, wasn't just me that thought it was unacceptable. Nothing to do with the tone of your posting. If it was tone of posting I would've just discussed it with you as we did before.

Fair enough, I retract my accusations. We have some sensitive posters then.

So you want to sack Ratts which is acceptable but me wanting other people sacked is malicious and bringing down the tone of the place?

I now officially like Bassat and I don't usually like anyone. He's making all the right noises at the moment. Part of our issues is that we can't u turn out of the wrong path. We double down and ride it until the end of the road. We need to start looking at what isn't working and fix it. He gets a tick for even recognising it.
I think Nick Riewoldt has a lot of a say behind the scenes, hoping Basset is sounding him out for advice

So you want to sack Ratts which is acceptable but me wanting other people sacked is malicious and bringing down the tone of the place?
No that's completely fine. That's not the issue and you know it.

No that's completely fine. That's not the issue and you know it.

Am I really that bad? I think I'm pretty fair and don't actually attack anything unreasonable. I point out the faults which makes me unpopular but I'm also the biggest fan boy when we are winning too. It's just more down beat when there isn't much winning happening and because everyone hates the way the club is going ATM they come after the messenger of doom with an axe.

Am I really that bad? I think I'm pretty fair and don't actually attack anything unreasonable. I point out the faults which makes me unpopular but I'm also the biggest fan boy when we are winning too. It's just more down beat when there isn't much winning happening and because everyone hates the way the club is going ATM they come after the messenger of doom with an axe.
Not really just more incessant than anything. You don't say anything really really bad but you just do it constantly lol. Like a jackhammer going off at godforsaken hours. Granted it's similar to those that do it positively all the time too.

George. Your boring me. Go chase Little Finnis Leprechauns across rainbows with your St Kilda coloured Unicorn and your Mod pin and find us a flag. That should keep you busy
You are a barrel of laughs

You gloss over everything all the time. It takes two clashing opinions to have a debate. You would think that the club is starting to see why I've been questioning things about how we operate. It's come to a head which to me is exactly the right thing to do. I'm actually pleased that we have come to this point and will be better for it if we act on it. Standards have been low and we have finally started to move towards fixing it. I'm actually really pleased with what could be a transformation into a professional organisation. Bring it on.

I don't think I deserved a three point penalty for one low brow comment, it looks like punishment for not liking my posts.
It hasn’t all been a disaster but doing some things well doesn’t excuse doing others badly.

It‘s long past time we realised that if everyone was doing their job to a high standard we would be a successful side on and off the park. Yes there have been some speed humps along the journey but the truth is we have been and continue to be a club that accepts mediocrity, in fact we seem to revel in being some kind of underdog outsider.

I‘ve only heard good things about Bassat so I trust any review will be properly run and if people are doing a great job then they should welcome it.

From the outside looking in it would be a massive call to replace Finnis with lethlean.

10 years of puerile and idiotic posting and the only loss of points was probably one of the least offensive I've even written. I feel like a rebel now though. I'm buying leather jacket, I'm one of the bad kids.

pfft 3 points amateur :D

The recent (over the past couple of years) crackdown has effeectively neutered me and my posting style, which is a good thing for both me and the forum.

Sad we have lost the likes of Call me Snake, Keg on legs, perservering Saint, Rors etc over the past few years though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

pfft 3 points amateur :D

The recent (over the past couple of years) crackdown has effeectively neutered me and my posting style, which is a good thing for both me and the forum.

Sad we have lost the likes of Call me Snake, Keg on legs, perservering Saint, Rors etc over the past few years though.
Whatever happened to them?

You really are a neutered creature. You should really Fight for your standing in the big footy pecking order.

Nah Battle scarred after 21 years of fighting the good fight.

Registered at Bigfooty when i was still in my 30's, am now in my 60's, tired of the argy bargy, but mostly tired of my hopeless football club.

Nah Battle scarred after 21 years of fighting the good fight.

Registered at Bigfooty when i was still in my 30's, am now in my 60's, tired of the argy bargy, but mostly tired of my hopeless football club.
Tell your friends to come back. Just invite them to the PM. It’s where all the cool kids hang out anyway.

If it really is just effort, and I don't believe it is, then what TF does it say about our leadership that near enough 22 players can collectively choose not to put in enough effort - REPEATEDLY - from rounds 2-12, despite assumedly being read the riot act and feeling rubbish after losing?

Doesn't that coaching group think that if it's one or two individuals then it's their fault, but if it's the fault of a majority of the players, then the external motivation isn't sufficient, or the training?

I mean they gave everything against Adelaide, and then when the Crows shifted gears, they just decided to stay at the same workrate as before. They all just collectively threw in the towel?

Either they are hiding the truth to protect the club or they are clueless. I have lost so much faith in everyone at the club over the season, and I was very sure they were the real thing before so this realisation has been hard to take. If Ratten is to stay he needs a mighty kick up the arse and gun assistants.

If this is not his doing then he needs to assert himself and claim control of our culture, because we are shoddy AF right now from top to tail.
Yeah this effort thing I think is a pretty shallow explanation. I don't think any players at afl level are just lazy and aren't putting effort in. Would never make it to afl if that was the case. What would cause a lack of effort from players - that's the question?

Just on Finnis:
We have reached agreement with the AFL that they will dollar match repayments of our debt to them.
I'm not 100% sure but I believe around half of our debt is owed to the AFL. If that's right then he has effectively negotiated away a quarter of our debt.
This puts us closer to funding the football department the way it needs to be.
Along with the ongoing facility improvements and membership increases, now that he doesn't need to (needed to due to lack of funds) run the football department as well as the off-field business, I can't see what he could be doing better.

On Lethlean:
We haven't had a decent starting 18 for about a decade. He has started to solve an issue that was ten years in the making. The list turnover in the last two years has been extensive, and is what we needed to happen. With a better run with injury (Marshall alone) we'd still be in the hunt for finals and the focus would be on Crouch arriving, not Hanners being here. But results form the narrative.

Informative post. Thank you.

Really difficult question from my limited experience of their organisation.

Ratten - yes I think he is the right coach. I believe that the players have gotten off much too lightly this year and the emphasis has been too much on Ratten. He is not without blame of course but I personally feel it has been a bit unbalanced.

Leathlean - thought he was a hired gun. Wanted to go to Carlton and was knocked. Took Saints as a last resort. Has had the messiah syndrome attached to him. Looks to be on the move to Geelong anyway.

Finnis - another who had to be convinced to come to the Saints. Has overseen the move back to Moorabbin which, if he achieves nothing else is a major accomplishment.
A football clubs OKR's revolve around winning games. While I think the social leadership of things like Danny Frawley match, Maddies match and the Pride match are all worthy to make football inclusive, does it distract from the clubs mission and core competencies?

I think Finnis's response to things such as the Robbie Muir article and the clubs stance on racism towards our current players is a template for the AFL. It has been magnificient.

The point is that those three and every other person involved in the organisation from the president down is vunerable and under pressure to perform.

So while i sit on the fence, we all thought that the club was heading in the right drection last year, nobody thought Ratten or Lethlean were duds. Some didn't like Finnis but results meant that we were all pretty chuffed.

Unfirtunately that complacency wasn't just in the fans but the players and staff. the injuries have been devestating but the effort in some games has beena real shock not just to the supporter but the coaching staff and admin as well. Seems they are struggling to understand why and it is not a simple answer.

The review is a good start, it needs to be done and it needs to be done properly. Jobs will be lost, who and if they are correct is a matter of opinion.

As long it is not the trainee receptionist, as she is my only contact at the club :oops:

Good, rational post Jb.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back