Event Club Q&A - 17th June

Remove this Banner Ad

No idea. Said that at the time as well and have continued to say it even though the last few weeks have been much better.
It’s worrying tbh like are we on auto pilot until next year to put in Lenny type effort I don’t get it plugger

They are wrapping up now. But this was a load of sh*t. It was fluffy and it felt unaccountable. Literally they blamed injuries and hadn’t yet worked out why we lack effort

just staged managed.

it was basically like have a club employee run an interview with the 3 of them.

it looked like they had short listed the questions they were prepared to answer. then picked people who asked those questions then rattled off the answer.

It’s worrying tbh like are we on auto pilot until next year to put in Lenny type effort I don’t get it plugger
No leaders is huge. That’s what Leppitsch blamed on Saturday. I know hanners haven’t even slightly worked but I reckon that was a huge reason we got him.

Well tell me how fitness effected Geelong and Essendon. Even the tigers. And then this week Justin Leppitsch actually said I doubt it was fitness versus Adelaide. Looked pretty fit in the last quarter versus the swans but kicked like me. Effort can be through lack of confidence which I said straight after the essendon game.

Then call it a hit to their confidence. Don’t call it effort. Because the one is understandable and the other unacceptable.

I'm not sure I feel any better after watching that. Any mystique that Rath and Lethers had has evaporated, they seem like they have no answers. They'll all one up and kick Lonie again and then what? Lade and Hammill will shift out if we're lucky. A lot of the stuff on planning for a flag didn't get asked and no time line was given. I don't think they can work out what is wrong other to blame the players lack of effort and then blame injuries.

Other than that I'm not sure they said anything. We're working harder than ever, high performance blah blah, analytics, watch the video of players looking at sh*t and then the media department begging for access.

every year they're always working as hard as ever

has there been a year ever where they're like "nah just taking it back a peg or too after working my ass off last season"

Trout you ******* idiot - but I’ve said that 1000 times

i'd pay money for a Q&A session with Pelchen, Trout, Ameet, Richo and Finnis

easily 1k if you are allowed to ask live questions

just staged managed.

it was basically like have a club employee run an interview with the 3 of them.

it looked like they had short listed the questions they were prepared to answer. then picked people who asked those questions then rattled off the answer.
Thats exactly what it was. They didnt try to present it as anything else.

Were you actually expecting something different?

Most of the answers that mentioned effort were in direct response to questions talking asking about a lack of effort from the playing group.

Did they ask the reason for the lack of effort?
That’s an indictment on the players and I cannot actually believe it was all down to that.
Appears to me ( off, as I say just reading here) that the coaching staff are throwing the players under the bus.
Did they take responsibility for anything at all.

Just from what I’ve read on here (second hand info)

They’re blaming five horrific losses on EFFORT?
Sorry, but that’s just BS.

They don’t accept its (lack of) fitness?
Sorry, that’s more BS.

They’re basically laying the entire sh*t season at the feet of the players.
Are they taking responsibility for anything?

You can have the ability to do things, but without the effort, you stand still and do nothing.

It can be mental, it can be physical, it can be environmental, it's a catch all sort of response outside of "they can physically do it, we know they can" hence, not fitness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Battle after hearing Ratts still sees him on the wing

This is a very common theme amongst posters on here, however I wonder what Battle really thinks about it.

Maybe he doesn’t want to play CHB?

Maybe he does want to play wing (notwithstanding he’s currently stinking it up)

Battle is getting a game each week. Let’s not just assume he’s unhappy and will want to leave.

Was never going to make the end of the world posters happy. No idea what they expected.

I'll think about watching the replay when/if they post it but I'm honestly not sure why they did it. Obviously members would be angery, I'm not sure what answers they could have given to change that and I kinda doubt they had any questions that would have surprised them.

Did they ask the reason for the lack of effort?
That’s an indictment on the players and I cannot actually believe it was all down to that.
Appears to me ( off, as I say just reading here) that the coaching staff are throwing the players under the bus.
Did they take responsibility for anything at all.
I don't recall that being asked but I might have missed it.

There responses about effort were more along the lines of needing the players to hold each other more accountable when that effort drops off and needing the players to become more ruthless with each other rather than just being friends. Some talk about Ben Robbins working on the groups mental skills in that area as well.

I don't think there was anything game plan or coaching related asked. More talked about what the club is doing off field to help the players take that step and get things back on track, and consistently reiterated the phrase 'bridging the gap' as the focus for the back half of the season

Last edited:
We appointed a self confessed introvert as a leader.

Mate, nothing wrong with an introverted leader. Not saying we have the right leadership but I disagree with the contention that introverts can't lead as there is plenty of evidence and studys to suggest otherwise.

Introverts often bring a lot of skills to the table that extroverts don't have

Just from what I’ve read on here (second hand info)

They’re blaming five horrific losses on EFFORT?
Sorry, but that’s just BS.

They don’t accept its (lack of) fitness?
Sorry, that’s more BS.

They’re basically laying the entire sh*t season at the feet of the players.
Are they taking responsibility for anything?

It's not bloody fitness.

This is a very common theme amongst posters on here, however I wonder what Battle really thinks about it.

Battle is getting a game each week. Let’s not just assume he’s unhappy and will want to leave.

Maybe Battle would not know? I mean in virtually every game he seems to be being played in different ways.

His position seems to be , "in the 22". Apart from that I am not clear.

It must be really difficult for him for each game I would imagine.

No leaders is huge. That’s what Leppitsch blamed on Saturday. I know hanners haven’t even slightly worked but I reckon that was a huge reason we got him.
I agree with you re. confidence = effort thing. It's ironic that we recruited for leaders, and yet it's the one thing that should be counted on when things get tough. I think Sinclair's comment about the need for leaders to be more present is one symptom of a season that has gone so pear shaped. We can't change this season, but we can learn and respond to it in the best possible way - to me that's the most important thing looking forward. The off season will be interesting.

If you say so, boss.

What about the fact that the week before we were running all over Sydney in the last quarter in every stat?

The way we played against WCE

Look at the Telstra tracker for repeat sprints and total distance covered. For christ's sake, we run more km's than the opposition most weeks and that's ready and available for any fan to check.

Fitness is very unlikely to be an issue at this point in a season, maybe early on it can be but regardless all AFL teams are at a very high and very similar level of aerobic fitness.

I’d hope he’s unhappy with his 8 disposal winger games. But, you’re right, maybe he does see himself there and it’s just us that don’t.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back