Event Club Q&A - 17th June

Remove this Banner Ad

They mentioned Ben Robbins a lot. I still see our mental state as a real worry. We looked like we rolled over against Adelaide. As soon as they got a run on the Saints looked like they knew the inevitable was coming rather than digging deeper. They seem mentally resigned to failure at the moment. I started to think DMac had become a gun player after his few good games, but it was more that he stood out above nearly every other player for his application and effort. He set the tempo for the whole side against WCE and the others seemed to eventually get on board with him.

There is something wrong with both our motivation and our resilience. If your psyches can't get that going the they should surely be looked at too. This side definitely have some unfortunate characteristics, they seem like they fold easily, they pick and choose when to bring effort, they look like some games are so un-motivating they don't show up at all etc. Nearly all psych stuff.
Maybe just me, but I put this down to Doogs kicking out to exactly the same spot to a pack on the boundary line for almost an entire half. How that wasn't arrested by players or coaches has got me staggered at the stupidity that persists in our play. The fact it went on for so long can only mean it was the coach's instructions IMO.

Thank you for telling me what I already know.

Lethers oversees the football deparment so ultimately the improvement of the list falls on Lethers, similar to how you said the success of the football department falls on Finnis.
You look pretty silly if you already knew. I mean you did say this.

“Lethlean's job is to improve the list which he has done. Our list in 2021 compared to 2018 is far better. He is doing his job.”

And last I checked list management and overseeing a football department are 2 different jobs. 🤷‍♂️

You look pretty silly if you already knew. I mean you did say this.

“Lethlean's job is to improve the list which he has done. Our list in 2021 compared to 2018 is far better. He is doing his job.”

And last I checked list management and overseeing a football department are 2 different jobs. 🤷‍♂️
If you say Finnis is responsible for the football deparment then surely Lethers is responsible for more than just building a high performance program, given he runs the football department.

Part of running the football department is making sure the list improves, is it not?

On one hand you say Finnis has to have some responsibility for the football department because they report to him, but for some odd reason the same logic can't be applied to Lethlean, who has people under him that he is responsible for.

Finnis - group of people underneath him that report to him - responsible for their actions.
Lethlean - group of people underneath him that report to him - not responsible for their actions.

Weird

Because we can’t handle bad boy alpha types. I, for one, am glad we skipped over Dustin Martin and Ben Cousins when they were available.
The club wanted martin, Watters vetoed it. Cousins was a drug ****ed has been when he went to Richmond.

If you say Finnis is responsible for the football deparment then surely Lethers is responsible for more than just building a high performance program, given he runs the football department.

Part of running the football department is making sure the list improves, is it not?
Your now making yourself look silly.

1. I said up until Lethers promotion, the football department was solely Finnis responsibility. So Finnis gets judged on this.

2. The high performance program is the football department. So yes we judge Lethlean and he has since made a finals campaign and won a final and now we are having a horrid year. Which he should get a chance to address.

But in 2 years in his role - he exceeded the 6 years Finnis has running it solely in 2014-2019.

Which is precisely my point about Finnis job performance

Edited because if you want me to add. The list manager is responsible. So Gallagher was Lethers man and Elshaug was Finnis. Does this make your argument any better?

One has made improvement. The other blew a pick 1 missed all the elite talent at pick 3

Last edited:
What's personal about it? Your comments are irrational to me, there's no objectivity in any of it. Apparently the club can do nothing right and everyone should be sacked. I can't discuss the club objectively with someone who posts like you do, whether that be completely negative or completely positive. It's tiresome & boring both ways.

Calling someone with an alternate viewpoint "irrational" is non objective, not putting up a perfectly rational point of view. I suggested that the psyches should be looked at because we look like we are mentally struggling to apply ourselves. Sounds pretty irrational how? How is questioning the club tiresome any more than just glossing over everything. We are literally discussing the club's crisis response and the club is reviewing because they see the same issues.

Your now making yourself look silly.

1. I said up until Lethers promotion, the football department was solely Finnis responsibility. So Finnis gets judged on this.

2. The high performance program is the football department. So yes we judge Lethlean and he has since made a finals campaign and won a final and now we are having a horrid year. Which he should get a chance to address.

But in 2 years in his role - he exceeded the 6 years Finnis has running it solely in 2014-2019.

Which is precisely my point about Finnis job performance

Edited because if you want me to add. The list manager is responsible. So Gallagher was Lethers man and Elshaug was Finnis. Does this make your argument any better?

One has made improvement. The other blew a pick 1 missed all the elite talent at pick 3
I was confirming whether or not you were willing to lay the same responsibility on Lethlean given you said list management isn't Lethlean's job so I took that as an insinuation that you didn't think he was responsible for it but then you went on to say the football department is Finnis' responsibility.

I don't know why you told me that Lethers job isn't to manage the list because by being head of the football department that is definitely part of his job. We're you trying to absolve him from some of the blame? I don't see why you made a point of it.

Calling someone with an alternate viewpoint "irrational" is non objective, not putting up a perfectly rational point of view. I suggested that the psyches should be looked at because we look like we are mentally struggling to apply ourselves. Sounds pretty irrational how? How is questioning the club tiresome any more than just glossing over everything. We are literally discussing the club's crisis response and the club is reviewing because they see the same issues.
It's tiresome because you do it all the time.

I was confirming whether or not you were willing to lay the same responsibility on Lethlean given you said list management isn't Lethlean's job so I took that as an insinuation that you didn't think he was responsible for it but then you went on to say the football department is Finnis' responsibility.

I don't know why you told me that Lethers job isn't to manage the list because by being head of the football department that is definitely part of his job. We're you trying to absolve him from some of the blame? I don't see why you made a point of it.
My god.

If list management was his job, why have we employed gags?

COOs and CEOs don’t employ people just to make all the decisions themselves. They hire people with the skill sets to do it. They then oversee and manage them to the prerequisite of the job.

It’s not hard to understand.

My god.

If list management was his job, why have we employed gags?

COOs and CEOs don’t employ people just to make all the decisions themselves. They hire people with the skill sets to do it. They then oversee and manage them to the prerequisite of the job.

It’s not hard to understand.
You don't get it do you.

It's his job to build a list in that he is responsible for employing the person to do that job and ultimately the results of that fall on him.

Is that simple enough to understand?

I hadn't seen you lay responsibility for the list build on Lethlean but you were happy to lay the failings of the football department on Finnis and I thought that was pretty hypocritical.

You don't get it do you.

It's his job to build a list in that he is responsible for employing the person to do that job and ultimately the results of that fall on him.

Is that simple enough to understand?

I hadn't seen you lay responsibility for the list build on Lethlean but you were happy to lay the failings of the football department on Finnis and I thought that was pretty hypocritical.
I’m going to stop. You don’t understand. That’s fine. Finnis is doing a great job and I think there are premierships just around the corner.

Go Saints!

Maybe just me, but I put this down to Doogs kicking out to exactly the same spot to a pack on the boundary line for almost an entire half. How that wasn't arrested by players or coaches has got me staggered at the stupidity that persists in our play. The fact it went on for so long can only mean it was the coach's instructions IMO.

It looked more like mentally freezing in the headlights to me. That stupidity didn't help the cause though. He was given no kick out options as well which is the team stopping.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its was just so frustrating to watch, time after time we just kept doing the same thing.
So easy to coach against and play against
Someone put up the heat map for the game, just so poor

I’m going to stop. You don’t understand. That’s fine. Finnis is doing a great job and I think there are premierships just around the corner.

Go Saints!
I understand completely.

Lethlean runs the football department and has people under him that he is responsible for and ultimately responsible for the outcome of what they do.

Finnis is the CEO that is responsible for the football department and their results.

It's an organisational structure, you do understand that right?

Because you lay blame on Finnis for the football department as a whole, I was asking you if you lay the same amount of blame on Lethlean for the outcomes within the football department. It's a simple question, you don't need to go off sarcastically about how great the club is because you don't want to answer a simple question.

Nobody said everything was great, it's pretty boring to just end a discussion on that note because you get asked a question you refuse to answer. Not once have I said Finnis is doing 100% a great job lol, it was a question of the amount of blame you give to different people at a football club.

It looked more like mentally freezing in the headlights to me. That stupidity didn't help the cause though. He was given no kick out options as well which is the team stopping.
Perhaps the lack of options is actually down to team instructions. It would have been as easy as pie to tell one or two players to stay on the fat side to provide an option and spread Adelaide a bit. As there was no change in failing tactics for an entire half, I say it must be the coach. There's no other answer..

It's tiresome because you do it all the time.

You gloss over everything all the time. It takes two clashing opinions to have a debate. You would think that the club is starting to see why I've been questioning things about how we operate. It's come to a head which to me is exactly the right thing to do. I'm actually pleased that we have come to this point and will be better for it if we act on it. Standards have been low and we have finally started to move towards fixing it. I'm actually really pleased with what could be a transformation into a professional organisation. Bring it on.

I don't think I deserved a three point penalty for one low brow comment, it looks like punishment for not liking my posts.

I don't think I deserved a three point penalty for one low brow comment, it looks like punishment for not liking my posts.
Really ?:p

I understand completely.

Lethlean runs the football department and has people under him that he is responsible for and ultimately responsible for the outcome of what they do.

Finnis is the CEO that is responsible for the football department and their results.

It's an organisational structure, you do understand that right?

Because you lay blame on Finnis for the football department as a whole, I was asking you if you lay the same amount of blame on Lethlean for the outcomes within the football department. It's a simple question, you don't need to go off sarcastically about how great the club is because you don't want to answer a simple question.

Nobody said everything was great, it's pretty boring to just end a discussion on that note because you get asked a question you refuse to answer. Not once have I said Finnis is doing 100% a great job lol, it was a question of the amount of blame you give to different people at a football club.
George. When I posed my question earlier about Finnis Lethlean and Ratten and whether they are the right people

I said I was unsure of Lethers. Which should imply that I don’t think he is doing a brilliant job. I have concerns which I have voiced for weeks about our football department.

However when I compare Lethers and Finnis about the management and running of the football department. Lethers gets a gold star and Finnis gets the ass in comparison.

10 years of puerile and idiotic posting and the only loss of points was probably one of the least offensive I've even written. I feel like a rebel now though. I'm buying leather jacket, I'm one of the bad kids.

You gloss over everything all the time. It takes two clashing opinions to have a debate. You would think that the club is starting to see why I've been questioning things about how we operate. It's come to a head which to me is exactly the right thing to do. I'm actually pleased that we have come to this point and will be better for it if we act on it. Standards have been low and we have finally started to move towards fixing it. I'm actually really pleased with what could be a transformation into a professional organisation. Bring it on.

Did you read the article I put up review of the reviewers ?
Bassett obviously is very worried about the direction of the club, and both Finnis and Leathlean in the past month have gone to the board and questioned how things are being done

10 years of puerile and idiotic posting and the only loss of points was probably one of the least offensive I've even written. I feel like a rebel now though. I'm buying leather jacket, I'm one of the bad kids.
Fonzie

George. When I posed my question earlier about Finnis Lethlean and Ratten and whether they are the right people

I said I was unsure of Lethers. Which should imply that I don’t think he is doing a brilliant job. I have concerns which I have voiced for weeks about our football department.

However when I compare Lethers and Finnis about the management and running of the football department. Lethers gets a gold star and Finnis gets the ass in comparison.
Ok great, I just don't know why you felt the need to explain to me that list management wasn't his job. Being head of the football department means making sure that works is actually part of his role.

It's just an impression but he doesn't seem urgent about on field success or have a close eye on what's going on in the footy department. I rate Moorabin, it's magnificent to have it but his role should be focussing on infield success as a way of becoming a more attractive proposition for sponsors and new members. It's obvious to me that the areas you hit first are recruiting and list management and then development and coaching. You can't coach chihuahuas to be greyhounds so get the list build going then have people in place to get the best out of them. Then let the rest take care of itself.

Sponsors and fans love a winner. We had huge membership rises built on hope. Imagine if we had real success, Scotty's juggernaut could come true.

What have I glossed over? Have you read some of my comments lately regarding Ratten and the state of the list?

Yes your comment had been reported three times, wasn't just me that thought it was unacceptable. Nothing to do with the tone of your posting. If it was tone of posting I would've just discussed it with you as we did before.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back