Club records in the gym (bench, squat)

Remove this Banner Ad

yep, but i doubt its that low for you...any rounding even 1% will do you harm sooner or later...and why go higher reps? why can't deep squats be done for 3 - 5 reps? you won't use 150kgs but you can still do it

yep, but i doubt its that low for you...any rounding even 1% will do you harm sooner or later...and why go higher reps? why can't deep squats be done for 3 - 5 reps? you won't use 150kgs but you can still do it

I just feel comfortable getting a good deep squat in at 100kg and can do them for 10-12 reps. I did come off a heavy 6 week block where i was squating 3-6 reps between 130kg-140kg.

Even though the Weapon copped a lot of s**t I reckon he was on the right track in regard to getting footballers to train heavier. THe way players are rotated off the bench so frequently these days means they could carry more muscle around IMO. If I was running the Tiges I'd send our head S+C over to an NFL team to see how they condition their running backs and quarter backs.

We should be training like this, at least in the few months before xmas.

*maybe not the Atlas ball, just in case.

i agree with most of that but they shouldn't train exactly like gridiron players...gridiron players are built for maximum power over 3 - 5secs...if a footy player trained like that they'd have 1 maybe 2 good efforts and then be gone for 10mins

i agree with most of that but they shouldn't train exactly like gridiron players...gridiron players are built for maximum power over 3 - 5secs...if a footy player trained like that they'd have 1 maybe 2 good efforts and then be gone for 10mins
Seems to me that you can train for power plus have good cardio and recovery. For example MMA fighter can fight very powerfully for 5 minutes then recover in 90 seconds. And the good ones can do it at least 25 minutes total.

Also, a power forward like say Jack Reiwoldt generally only has to be powerful for 3-5 seconds. Then he may get up to 5 minutes rest before the ball is in his area again. That Elliot Hulse guy in the video was a running back in college. With an Aussie up bringing and the requisite ball skills I reckon he would make a great centre half forward.

Even though the Weapon copped a lot of s**t I reckon he was on the right track in regard to getting footballers to train heavier. THe way players are rotated off the bench so frequently these days means they could carry more muscle around IMO. If I was running the Tiges I'd send our head S+C over to an NFL team to see how they condition their running backs and quarter backs.
You're forgetting the capped rotations. 120 is going to be just the beginning. Not to mention the forward press. There's really no position these days, even more going forward, that will have players avoiding lots of running up and down the field.

Although with the capped rotations it may wash out that coaches are happier for the KPP's at least to not roam so much. In which case more power and explosive work could come into favour. At present there doesn't seem to be much training (outside of position specific skills) that's different across players, it'll be interesting to see if the latest rule changes (when taken to their inevitable destination of somewhere between 80 - 100 rotations a game) cause any clubs to start more position specific non-football skills training.

I'm early-mid 30's. Only been training for 3.5 years and squatting for around 2 of them.

Not sure of the correlation between age and weight though?

Just being older your body has been building muscle longer and learnt to use the fibres more efficiently. Most champion strongmen are in there 30s, but you do get some in their mid 20s.

In no way should AFL players be trained like gridiron players. As someone who plays gridiron, the aerobic capacity required is next to nil. Go hard for 5 seconds (max) rest for 30. And that's when you are on the field. Don't forget O and D are separate teams, so you also get a 5 minute rest after every series of play too.

I did a very hard pre-season, played in the first couple of games, only to get a job which has me working evenings and thus missing training. I do not train at all and still run out games with ease.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sometimes more weight is not always a good thing. I set a a goal of maxing out the leg press 600kgs starting at around 300kgs. Got their in 6 weeks at 8 reps. However experienced pain in my back and kidney area during the set. The next time i did legs i dropped down to 200kg and did 5 sets of around 20 reps and it was the most intense leg workout i have ever had. Got alot more out of it

For example MMA fighter can fight very powerfully for 5 minutes then recover in 90 seconds. And the good ones can do it at least 25 minutes total.

If you actually watch full fights, rather than "explosive" highlights, you'll see that MMA fights and fighters are pretty moderately-paced steady-state cardio affairs, with a number of repeated explosive efforts littered throughout. The ability to keep going and keep "backing up" with repeat efforts is more valueable (or at least more common) than single-effort explosive power (despite the popularity/excitement factor of "knockout power"), much like Australian football rather than American football.

Training like an MMA fighter would actually be pretty valueable/useful for a footy player IMO, at least for the fitness/athleticism base.

Im interested to know how much the strongest AFL players bench and squat. Anyone know where i can find this?

I bet Josh Hunt is up there.
Has anyone tried an 80% body weight bp test dangerfield got 18 reps last year on a sports star challenge I tried it and got 15 what is everyone else getting?

might give it a shot next week - i should go close but i'm not much of a rep grinder so when my strength drops out then that's it so i could get to 12 and just be done!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back