Club Song Change: While her loyal sons to 'While Our Loyal Swans'

Remove this Banner Ad

What a surprise that there's some melts already for something that enrichens the experience for all and cheapens it for none.
Thank you for being the moral compass we all need mate ❤️🤍

I know what you're trying to get at. But it's irrelevant.

Creating and developing the woman's football team is what defines inclusiveness. A word in a song doesn't define anything.
Bullshit it's irrelevant.

The whole point of this change is to be inclusive of women. If this makes the AFLW team and our female supporters feel more included - or "enriches their lives" in your words - then that is an unequivocally good thing.

There is zero reason to resent this change outside of some slippery slope "PC brigade" garbage.

I support the change, but "Swans will go in and and win overall / while our loyal Swans are marching" makes no sense to me.

I like the "our loyal Swans", but then you have the redundancy with "Swans" repeated twice.

Someone suggested changing the first "Swans" to "Bloods" - but I'm not sure that solves the problem with the redundancy.

I would actually change the second "Swans" to "Bloods", as that could refer to the South fans who stayed loyal when the club moved north.

Or am I thinking too much. :drunk:
Not thinking as much as some RW.
Unfortunately in tbe world today we have too many people getting offended for plenty people that don't actually get offended.

He's being sarcastic but well done you.
He was. I wouldn't have thought him sarcastically referring to you as a moral compass in response to a fairly obvious statement indicated agreement but there's obviously some form of Poe's Law at play here.

Not thinking as much as some RW.
Unfortunately in tbe world today we have too many people getting offended for plenty people that don't actually get offended.

Such as yourself, it seems.

They can say 'daughters' just like the the dogs girls say 'daughters of the west'

I believe that's what the women's teams at UND actually do:

There are a few versions of the song, there is one version that goes:

"While her loyal sons and daughters
March on to victory"

Another version changes "her loyal sons" to "her loyal ones" to be more inclusive - personally I think "our loyal ones" sounds better!

It matters. For all the the talk and sarcasm and back and forth I will tell you it matters. Words matter, the invisible wall that earns women lesser pay, lesser chance of promotion, lesser diversity through all levels of power. It matters.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can we agree that the only people "offended" here are the dinosaurs bitching about the change?

We can agree on that right?

It is quite amusing at the lack of self-awareness.

Hey guys,
Is not about offense but about inclusion. As a woman I wouldn't think - think i'll join that men's club. judges would routinely ask for a foreman from their jury. That's what they would get - over 90% of the time. And its not because men have more authority, louder voices or some other bs. They changed it to foreperson -switched to over 30%+women nearly straight away. Words matter - they include or exclude. And with this small but really significant change - the fab Swans are signalling that they're shifting from being a male footy club to being one that welcomes Boys, girls and whatever the bloody gender you want to be.
Cheer cheer!!

CHANGE SWEET CAROLINE! IM OFFENDED AND EXCLUDED!

The fact you can't understand the fundamental difference makes this a particularly cringe strawman.

inb4 comment about it being strawman not strawperson.

Seen a lot of talk on social media about how this decision is another example of us worrying about other stuff rather than our club and the footy.

But I would counter that by saying inclusivity isn’t just important from a values perspective. It also just makes sense as a business strategy. If we want more TV viewers for our games, more bums on seats, increasing membership, greater revenue etc. a great way to do that is by appealing to a broader audience, including minorities in the footy arena - women, the LGBT community, the indigenous population etc.

So every initiative we are involved with - Marn Grook, the Pride Game, participating in the Mardi Gras, being represented in women’s footy - is a chance to give exposure to our club and increase our supporter base, all the while making some marginalised portions of our society feel appreciated included in something.

You can see it’s literally a win for everybody if you choose to get over your internal bigotry.

I will plug my ears during the banjo solo in deference to our Tasmanian brethren

There are two things banjo solos and masturbation have in common:
1. You know it’s going to happen;
2. There’s nothing you can do to prevent it.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Wow! I'm pretty surprised that anyone who follows the Swans doesn't think words matter after the whole Goodes saga...

Anything the Swans do to promote inclusiveness has my vote.

PS. Leave Sweet Caroline alone!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back