Club Song - New Lyrics

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 4, 2003
WA
AFL Club
West Coast
** Warning - Ultimate Post Draft/Pre-Season Thread - Discussed many times over my last 75 years on this website **

Did you know our official club song starts with ‘HEY EAGLES!’, repeated a grand total of 4 times?

My goodness. Just awful.

Let’s face it, in its current form, it’s a shocker. Since Freo redid theirs I could even suggest it’s the worst in the league. Ouch.

My idea - strip it back, retain the existing tune and feel but update the lyrics to turn it into a classic footy team song.

Gone is the laughable reference to ‘Big Birds’ and of course, the afermentioned ‘Hey Eagles!’.

This will be re-recorded in the ‘old school’ style of many clubs, with a male choir and no electric guitars. I haven’t gone back to ‘for years they took the best of us, and claimed they for their own’ - this isn’t 1987 people.

Sung and paced to the existing tune:

Oooh We’re the Eagles - The West Coast Eagles

We are the team, for young and old

The fighting mighty birds of prey

We fly the flag, of blue and gold

Oh We’re the Eagles - The West Coast Eagles

And we’re here to show you why

We’re the Kings of West Australia

We’re the Eagles - We’re Flying High!

Awful? Improvement?

“Leave it as it is!, I always sing the ‘hey eagles’ bit you fascist!”

Birds of a feather
**** you up together
Hey Freo, you’re ****
Your Brayshaw’s a little git
Yeah we duck, come at us bro
We’ll split yo defence just like a silly ho
We don’t need no mids, talls for days
Watson bursting off a flank making the plays
How tall is McGovern nobody really knows
Naitanui personally approved this prose
Powell-Pepper can’t kick but Venners hits the mark
Our third tall grows taller in tents in the park
We kicked your ass today with 6 inside 50s
So **** off back to the Eastern states else your gonna get shiv’d see

Birds of a feather
**** you up together
Hey Freo, you’re ****
Your Brayshaw’s a little git
Yeah we duck, come at us bro
We’ll split yo defence just like a silly ho
We don’t need no mids, talls for days
Watson bursting off a flank making the plays
How tall is McGovern nobody really knows
Naitanui personally approved this prose
Powell-Pepper can’t kick but Venners hits the mark
Our third tall grows taller in tents in the park
We kicked your ass today with 6 inside 50s
So **** off back to the Eastern states else your gonna get shiv’d see

I could actually see the ‘Hey Eagles!’ at the start working with this. Updated to ‘YO EAGLES WHAT UUUUUUP!?’ obviously.

** Warning - Ultimate Post Draft/Pre-Season Thread - Discussed many times over my last 75 years on this website **

Did you know our official club song starts with ‘HEY EAGLES!’, repeated a grand total of 4 times?

My goodness. Just awful.

Let’s face it, in its current form, it’s a shocker. Since Freo redid theirs I could even suggest it’s the worst in the league. Ouch.

My idea - strip it back, retain the existing tune and feel but update the lyrics to turn it into a classic footy team song.

Gone is the laughable reference to ‘Big Birds’ and of course, the afermentioned ‘Hey Eagles!’.

This will be re-recorded in the ‘old school’ style of many clubs, with a male choir and no electric guitars. I haven’t gone back to ‘for years they took the best of us, and claimed they for their own’ - this isn’t 1987 people.

Sung and paced to the existing tune:

Oooh We’re the Eagles - The West Coast Eagles

We are the team, for young and old

The fighting mighty birds of prey

We fly the flag, of blue and gold

Oh We’re the Eagles - The West Coast Eagles

And we’re here to show you why

We’re the Kings of West Australia

We’re the Eagles - We’re Flying High!

Awful? Improvement?

“Leave it as it is!, I always sing the ‘hey eagles’ bit you fascist!”
no "we're the big bird, kings of the big game" ????

Just return to the original song format and change the verses. Get rid of the electric guitars too if ppl think it sounds too 80's or like an NRL club theme song.
I don't like the idea of singing the chorus over and over again. There's no build up, so it sounds very flat and boring.

I agree with the premise that the club song needs to change. They really should've done it with the re-branding...a missed opportunity IMO.

The Kings of West Australia is a bit trite and, well...s**t.

Are we Eagles or Kings? Is this a national competition or do we only want to beat Fremantle?

Some of the other changes suggested in the OP are alright as a start.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with the premise that the club song needs to change. They really should've done it with the re-branding...a missed opportunity IMO.

The Kings of West Australia is a bit trite and, well...s**t.

Are we Eagles or Kings? Is this a national competition or do we only want to beat Fremantle?

Some of the other changes suggested in the OP are alright as a start.

Fair enough - I wanted a reference to WA in there, but didn’t go for ‘pride’ because the Crows are so well known for the ‘pride of South Australia’ line in there song.

‘Kings’ was just an alternative - we are currently ‘Kings of the Big Game’ right now afterall.

It’s not so much about ‘beating Freo’, more just a nod to our location.

Footy songs do have a bit of hyperbole remember - Geelong claim to be ‘the Greatest team of all’..

Fair enough - I wanted a reference to WA in there, but didn’t go for ‘pride’ because the Crows are so well known for the ‘pride of South Australia’ line in there song.

‘Kings’ was just an alternative - we are currently ‘Kings of the Big Game’ right now afterall.

It’s not so much about ‘beating Freo’, more just a nod to our location.

Footy songs do have a bit of hyperbole remember - Geelong claim to be ‘the Greatest team of all’..
Some good points, and at least you had a go. I've never been a fan of the Kings of the big game bit but it's not the worst part of our song. It almost ruins our victories when the boys sing it with the dread of knowing how crap it is. Blunts the passion in the room.

I've written poetry before but it's usually quite intense and so I'm not sure I could do better with a footy song than your OP.

On GT-I9507 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Some good points, and at least you had a go. I've never been a fan of the Kings of the big game bit but it's not the worst part of our song. It almost ruins our victories when the boys sing it with the dread of knowing how crap it is. Blunts the passion in the room.

I've written poetry before but it's usually quite intense and so I'm not sure I could do better with a footy song than your OP.

On GT-I9507 using BigFooty.com mobile app

Cheers mate.

I like the young and old/blue and gold line - the rest is a bit of a stab haha

Weeeeee're campaginers, straight Cameron Rayners
And we're here
But full strength isn't

And so on and so forth

trash_man.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back