Wendouree
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
KC Chiefs, Royal Park FNC, Man City
We wanted the lyric fixed. Never asked to ruin the rest of the song though

You may have wanted the lyric "fixed".
Don't presume "we" please.
I used to sing "skin" simply because it sounds better. Now I sing it as a middle finger to Kevin Bartlett and every other twit that wanted to change what was once the league's best club song.

Shazza_

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2018
Safeway carpark
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL
Thank you for your email and sending through your feedback around the song.

We’ve got the best song in the league, no doubt, but the version of our song being used at our games up until now has included an incorrect lyric – “risking head and skin” instead of the correct line – “risking head and shin”. Over the last 6-7 years the Club has received a huge amount of communication and feedback from our fans, pleading with us to correct the song. Some in the media, including Club Immortal Kevin Bartlett, joined the call to correct the song, therefore the feedback has intensified over the last few years.

We have been investigating ways of fixing the song, with the final recommendation from the experts being that due to the quality and format of the original song, it would need to be re-recorded.

Our song, like the rest of our Intellectual Property (IP) is owned by the AFL, therefore we had to engage with them in a bid to correct the lyric. After a few years of lobbying, the AFL agreed to undertake a project to fix the song and in doing so, discovered there were at least 6 other clubs whose club songs had incorrect lyrics (must have been a big day in the studio back when they were originally recorded!). Therefore, the AFL put the offer out to all Clubs to re-record the songs, of which, 15 Clubs agreed.

Working with the AFL, we engaged KB and our very own Matthew Richardson to get involved in the re-recording of the song.

So in summary, our objective was to correct the incorrect lyric in the song, whilst maintaining the overall integrity. We believe this has been achieved.

Thank you once again for your email and your loyal support to the Tigers.

this is the clubs response to me regarding the song its bs
sounds like nazi germany

FFS the dj kid on twitter changed the lyric on the original recording through his mums commodore 64 in 5 mins

use that verision

dont tell 74
im all for member engagement, i just think 90% of members wont even open the email

we barely get 10-20% of people voting for an agm, people massively over estimate the degree of general fan anger to stuff like this

Shazza_

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2018
Safeway carpark
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL
Groupie sent BLK bankrupt, surely this is nothing in comparison. ;)
If the club can’t see an issue with the song then there are some strange Richmond supporters running the joint. :moustache:
can think of nothing worse than winning the flag with this plastic shite song playing. would severely ruin our celebrations

WagonBang

All Australian
Feb 23, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Glasgow Rangers
Sent some feedback myself and have questioned them why the word wasn't the only thing that was changed, if they're aware of the DJ dubbed version and if they are listening to the feedback and would a dubbed version have a possibility of becoming the norm plus pointed out the issues with the lack of tempo, horns with the new version. I've asked for a response. Let's see what happens.

Didn't want to be rude so I didn't mention that it's sung by a pompous twat tiger-laaahhhhhand

jacksgh

Senior List
Mar 15, 2014
AFL Club
Richmond
Is it just me or did the song played last night sound like another new recording no one has been told about. There wasnt as much elongation on tigerland and voices sounded different.

RobsJourney

Premiership Player
Oct 13, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Hey guys, can we form a group effort to try and finally get something done about this?

I was thinking along these lines:

1) We coordinate to mail a letter to the club on the same day, addressed to Peggy O'Neal. We hand write it, and it only needs to be short but to the same point. (We can even mention the soundcloud version with the correct lyric but no change to music, maybe they can use that)

2) Two/three days after sending the mail, we also coordinate to send an email to the club saying the same thing.

All at once they'll receive perhaps 100+ letters and emails and they might take notice.

At the least, we can also request a member survey be created and emailed with links to both tracks, and members can vote.

EDIT: Just showed both versions of the song to a mate who has never seen a footy game in his life (from Phillippines, been in Aus since he was about 10). His comments were that, whilst technically less correct sounding, skin actually sounds better anyway. Should never have been changed back to shin.

Drofder

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 18, 2014
37.8265° S, 145.0069° E
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics, Niners
*** song cost us a Premiership.

IMG_0301.JPG

Jun 19, 2013
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Man united
The new song is ridiculous. If you call the club and get put on hold you'll hear it on loop. It's completely different. The singers, the instruments in between the two choruses, even the way it kicks off has been changed.
If it was just one word that needed to be changed then why did they remix the whole song.

As per the club response to monsterbuds email. This is ridiculous.
So the song was changed to appease the apparant mass of miserable fans wanting one word changed, but they didnt consult the same fans (and the other 99,999 of us) about changing the whole song? Spare me.

it's just a song, not like it forms part of our identity.

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
The new song is ridiculous. If you call the club and get put on hold you'll hear it on loop. It's completely different. The singers, the instruments in between the two choruses, even the way it kicks off has been changed.
If it was just one word that needed to be changed then why did they remix the whole song.

As per the club response to monsterbuds email. This is ridiculous.
So the song was changed to appease the apparant mass of miserable fans wanting one word changed, but they didnt consult the same fans (and the other 99,999 of us) about changing the whole song? Spare me.

it's just a song, not like it forms part of our identity.
They changed the one played at the ground before finals. It’s now the fable singers version with the lyric fixed. I agree with the sentiment towards the garbage version though.

TigerTime_89

4x Jack Dyer Medalist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melb Storm, Liverpool, S Thunder
The Club didn't want to change back to the older and better version.
Some kid on YouTube managed to replace Skin with Shin and the club had no choice.

The guy said so in the description and the comment section.

Shazza_

Brownlow Medallist
Jan 2, 2018
Safeway carpark
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL
The Club didn't want to change back to the older and better version.
Some kid on YouTube managed to replace Skin with Shin and the club had no choice.

The guy said so in the description and the comment section.

i wonder if the rfc just used that dj kid’s version or if they got shin put into the old recording and improved the audio quality professionaly

would lol if it was the first option

TigerTime_89

4x Jack Dyer Medalist
Apr 3, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Melb Storm, Liverpool, S Thunder
i wonder if the rfc just used that dj kid’s version or if they got shin put into the old recording and improved the audio quality professionaly

would lol if it was the first option
Same.

Back