May 10, 2004
The Mothership
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Pistons/Hammers/Sri Lanka/The Exers
Best...
1. Richmond - by a mile
2. North Melbourne - because you can use players names easily as well as the clubs
3. Essendon - ok, it's not in a key that suits too many footballers, but it's a key that suits being played after a win.

Stuck to current songs and teams, otherwise I could have included Footscray and Fitzroy's. I also didn't consider Geelongs.

Worst...

1. West Coast
2. West Coast
3. West Coast

Even this was more of a football song than that joke of a 'tune' the Eagles call their theme song...

xandox

Rookie
May 8, 2015
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
1. Richmond - Nothing can top it. Especially the screaming of YELLOW AND BLACK!
2. North Melbourne's "Hearts To Hears" chant - But only when sung by the players. I'm not a fan of their new recording. But in the rooms after a win it's awesome.
3. Carlton - I just love how distinctive it is with it's a laid back tempo which really lets you blast out the lyrics. That instrumental interlude is just something to behold as well.

I know I added two more for my worst but I think they're worth including them instead of just saying the WA songs suck.

5. St. Kilda - Let's be honest, it's "that number" replaced with "St. Kilda." Not original enough for my liking!
4. Western Bulldogs - The atmosphere of the original "Footscray" song was completely ruined with the re-recording. WTF is with that latin jazz piano backing?
3. Gold Coast - Just boring. Nothing more to say.
2. West Coast. So terribly 80's you can tell it was sung by a guy with a blond mullet wearing an acid washed denim jacket.
1. Fremantle - This has got to be universally accepted as the worst AFL song recorded that is still in use.

Here's my ranking of the song's no longer in use.

1. Fitzroy - Just a classic. This version may not be used in the AFL anymore but the Roys still sing it with pride it in the VAFA. And rightfully so. Much better than the Brisbane re-recording.
2. Footscray - Theis version is just so much better. Actually has drive and spirit.
3. Brisbane - Brisbane Bears will live forever - Better than what they had but not brilliant by any means.
4. Brisbane - Dare to be the Bear - It's just way too long and dull. The lyrics also really suck. "We're hard. We're mean. We're tough. WE'RE A TEAM!"
5. Adelaide - Here we go here we Go Camry Crows - Putting "Camry Crows" in the song was bad enough. But having it end with Toyota's "Oh What a Feeling!" motif puts it at an even greater low.

Marley10

Cancelled
Dec 30, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
1. Richmond
2. Melbourne
3. Essendon
4. Sydney

15.Adelaide
16. Port
17. West Coast
18. Gold Coast

Engimal

Cancelled
10k Posts North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor Pantskyle Minecraft Shiny Penny Ruby
Apr 27, 2010
Tasmania
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Best:
1. North
2. Melbourne
3. Richmond

Great idea, even if the op had no idea.

1. Tigers
2. Original Fitzroy song /
We all stick to the Blue and Maroon,
Win or lose, Fitzroy don't change their tune;
That's the team we hold so dear,
We'll be Premiers this year;
And you'll see us with the Pennant very soon.

3. Sth Melbourne, i know it's Notre Dame's but shake down the thunder from the sky.

Bottom
18. St Kilda..... WTF
17. Femantle
18. Suns

bombersfan4000

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 30, 2014
AFL Club
Essendon
Best...
1. Richmond - by a mile
2. North Melbourne - because you can use players names easily as well as the clubs
3. Essendon - ok, it's not in a key that suits too many footballers, but it's a key that suits being played after a win.

Stuck to current songs and teams, otherwise I could have included Footscray and Fitzroy's. I also didn't consider Geelongs.

Worst...

1. West Coast
2. West Coast
3. West Coast

Even this was more of a football song than that joke of a 'tune' the Eagles call their theme song...

so you voted Richmond having the best theme song?
how about this version, i think its better:drunk:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Selim

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 10, 2014
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Best
1. GWS
2.Tigers
3. Dogs ( its my own team i got to like it)
Worst
1.Eagles
2. Port
3. crows

JRFoxy

Rookie
May 23, 2015
AFL Club
Sydney
Worst
1. Freo - no argument.
2. West Coast Eagles - too contrived.
3. Hawthorn - no reason except I just hate hearing it on grand final day.

Best
1. Richmond
2. St Kilda
3. Swans

DuckToaster

Maynards #1 fan
Aug 30, 2013
AFL Club
Collingwood

=

0464ae3d4abddb93b61f39ea495d7e8c.jpg

Mar 28, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Miami Heat
Excluding my own team, of course.

1. Richmond - catchy, has the opposition fans urging to join in.
2. Melbourne - grand old song, traditional in sound.
3. Adelaide - sounds like a fight song from an American sport but it works in out game, very hard to get right.

Worst:
Carlton - dopey song and it sounds horrendous when sung by the players. True ear bleeder.
West Coast - nothing the 90's has is as cringeworthy as this.
Port Adelaide - cheap and nasty.

Jan 30, 2004
bentleigh
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
hawthorn
Carlton song is great - it sounds like a group of blokes who've had too many post-match beers celebrating - and that's perfect.
It's a great song. I used to sing it to my son when he was a baby and I was bathing him. The trumpet refrain at the start and the gentle rhythm of the tune had a calming influence on him. He is 10 now and Carlton haven't beaten His fav team since he has been alive so it's just as well that song he loved as an infant didn't steer him in some silly Carlton supporting direction.

Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fighting Furies
1. Where fighting fury! and i don't just say that as a Tigers supporter either.
2. I used to hate Fremantles as a kid, but now I quite like it. Would be fun to belt out after a good win but I would imagine it getting annoying after a while.
3. Adelaide Crows

The Worst:

1. St Kilda..not a football club sounding song at all.
2. Carlton - Might be ok if they were celebrating while getting drunk at a bar.
3. Eagles

and an honourable mention: Geelongs, not that its a bad song, I just cringe whenever i hear the players singing it for some reason.

OldMateMuff

Debutant
Jun 5, 2015
Chaing Mai, Thailand
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Hertha BSC, SF Giants
I think Sydneys is the best (onwards to victory!) so i'll leave it out of this, also btw thank christ we don't have to endure 'up there for sydney' anymore like we did for a while.

This is a categorically stupid sentiment. "Up there for Sydney" was a magnificent way to enter the field and doing away with it in 2000 was a poor move.

1. Richmond
2. Melbourne
3. North Melbourne

16. West Coast
17. Gold Coast
18. Fremantle

Am I the only one who much preferred Freo's song when it had the "Freo Heave Ho" bit in it?
I like Gold Coast's tune but the lyrics are awful
I'm another who preferred Freo's old song- it was still bad, but at least it had some character. Now it's' almost as bad as the Eagles song
I also liked our 1980s original eagles song

Remove this Banner Ad

Back