Club Statement: Liam Ryan

Remove this Banner Ad

2d446419c2beb38ace3f006d34e3b7bc.jpg
Joe root ?

What's the deal with Liam Ryan?

It's been reported that he was sent home early from a tough pre season camp because "he didn't handle it well"

Simpson was very vague on the issue when asked to clarify.

Draw from that what you will

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's been reported that he was sent home early from a tough pre season camp because "he didn't handle it well"

I accept Simpson's explanation - every player is different and I'd rather send someone home early than have an Adelaide camp situation.

I think you answered your own question.

He didn’t handle it well.

Simmo played it down..said it's not 1985 anymore, we don't try to break players down, we push them until they struggle, Liam struggled towards the end of the program, so we pulled him out, we tailor to their individual weakness and strengths, to their own limits, he trained the next day....he's all good, it's all good. something to that effect?
Otherwise as Oak79 mentioned you end up with the 'Adelaide camp' situation, all that SAS commando stuff, can do more damage than good.
Simmo said we like to test the younger players coming in...(setting the bar I guess)..but we don't want to break anyone, we want them all cherry ripe for post january.. but the mature players know what they have to do.

I think you answered your own question.

He didn’t handle it well.

But wasn't he the only one out of the entire group that packed up and left?

That doesn't bode well, you would think after the drama throughout the year and his run in with police this off season he would be looking to start off the pre season on the front foot

That doesn't bode well, you would think after the drama throughout the year and his run in with police this off season he would be looking to start off the pre season on the front foot
Everyone's different.. depends on their body type etc..i think it's about hitting your limit..pushing yourself until you struggle but not going beyond that..Liam struggled towards the end and they pulled him out.. I don't think it's an issue and it makes good sense.
It must work, just look at the camaraderie and unity, it's a tight outfit! (compared to Adelaide post camp)

Exxon and Mallen look the goods! Am I mistaken or do we seem to be going from strength to strength?
Early days, but looking good is feeling good!

Last edited:

bare in mind that he played in a gf not so long ago.. main group went back yesterday where 1-4 years went back earlier.. probably only be 2 other guys at that camp that played in the gf (rioli & venables)

My understanding of it was firstly it wasn’t the entire list that went and secondly it was a voluntary camp so there was no obligation to either attend or finish the course.

We knew from the get go when we recruited him that physically he had limitations.

I don’t care if he cant see out, an out of season “commando course” as long as he can play quality football on the big stage .

While his off field stuff in the last twelve months hasn’t been ideal , his on field production and development I can’t fault.

I want a switched on Flying Ryan ready for game one .... all the other stuff I am happy to pass over .

Just my two cents worth .

Plus he got a pretty unfair rap about the incident up north which apparently was overblown and didn’t involve his Mrs from what I’ve read.

Yeah was his cousin from some reports.

With the repercussions from the Adelaide camp and even the Melbourne last year every club will be making sure that sort of stuff doesn't happen because look how much that de railed Adelaide season.

He was training well the next day, seems he just reached his limit at the camp and they wanted to manage him.

Yeah was his cousin from some reports.

With the repercussions from the Adelaide camp and even the Melbourne last year every club will be making sure that sort of stuff doesn't happen because look how much that de railed Adelaide season.
It's going to be an intense hot preseason, given that WC just played in a GF.

You want your players fit for rd 1 and in a good headspace. Given he is running well, as long as Ryan keeps working hard and can perform in games, hitting your limit in a voluntary commando style preseason camp isn't a biggie.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back