Club Statement On Marriage Equality

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sport is a power vehicle for positive change, we've already seen that with some degree with racism and it becoming unacceptable on the field and at the ground. The club has Carlton Pride and in my opinion this isn't a good enough response from the club to support and protect those members. I think if the issue was about your marriage you'd have a much different stance on the issue.

Much like you're entitled to your opinion about this issue, I'm entitled to mine about our club's response.
Sport in its very essence is the opposite.

Sport has always been the ultimate outlet/equaliser for people, to get away from the issues of the world and come together to support a club/team/event regardless of your beliefs or gender. If sport starts being political then it loses its very soul and what makes it so special. Nowhere else in the world can a powerful CEO and a 17 yr old checkout chick sit side by side and experience something together, regardless of age, gender or political and personal beliefs. If clubs started pushing political statements and alignments then that all changes.

tencentpiece Can you write for us would you would have liked to have seen.

I'd be genuinely interested. Give it a go if you feel so strong about this.

I've thought that the messages that other clubs have posted, as well as being a signatory of the AME would be a great message. If you're interested you can read Collingwood's statement here.

It has nothing to do with telling you how to vote. That is a defensive attitude. The club can reveal which side they stand for without telling you how to vote. It's a real disappointing effort and just reenforces how sadly conservative we still are.

The club can say that? The club is not its own entity.
It is made up of many people and representatives of this club have put forward what must clearly be the overwhelming feeling of the whole.

I don't think it could have done it better to raise the awareness and make it stance on equality without telling us what to do.

Weak

It's not a personal preference issue, if you aren't gay it doesn't affect you and your 'opinion' shouldn't be coming into it.

Voting No is voting to maintain discrimination under the law. The club, like most successful businesses are, should be strong enough to take a position against that.

Chillax and read between the lines, the above says: "we do strongly reinforce our Club's absolute commitment to equality".

Anyhoo, I've posted mine. Just remember that I love you all: straight, gay or in between.

The issue to me is that they are making suggestions, but being too weak to blatantly put it out there. Say what you will, but I'm cynical as to the reasons behind such a 'statement'.

I've thought that the messages that other clubs have posted, as well as being a signatory of the AME would be a great message. If you're interested you can read Collingwood's statement here.

Different words and more of a focus on being a member of the AME (Didn't know what that was)
It has in no way directly told its members what they should do......just like us.

People choose what people choose.

If our pollies are too gutless to do the job we voted them to do ..... vote for another polly.

A football club should not be a political mouthpiece. The sole reason for their existence is sport. Not religion. Not Political views. SPORT.

If the Pollies were that concerned about what the people of Aus really want they would hold a referendum. But they won't, yet at the same time they have the power to pass a bill ... (something they are paid to do .... you know do laws and stuff). ..... but they wont.

Sport is a power vehicle for positive change, we've already seen that with some degree with racism and it becoming unacceptable on the field and at the ground.

In some ways yes and maybe more so at community levels if the right people are put in charge, it can bring all walks of life together, however, when you have "sports stars" earning millions in the world game, basketball and other sports whilst a large number of people struggle to put food on the table or have any where to live, it doesn't quite cry out, "equality"

I am not going to get heavy handed, but being apolitical is a myth.

If the club wanted to stay nothing then it should have said nothing.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
The club obviously didn't want to say nothing, didn't want to be perceived they were telling us how to vote, but made clear their support too. I thought they balanced it well.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Mate. It's a club. A club is made of many individuals.
Should the club be talking on behalf of all those individuals and then have the gall to tell us how to vote?

You haven't thought this through and it has nothing to do with my point of view on the topic at hand.

This wholeheartedly....

I've had an absolute gut full of people pushing their agendas down our throats through the media in regards to this and I would have viewed our club the same if it had tried to do the same.
The CFC can't vote...so its stance on this is justified and as you said...the club is filled with individuals...and if the club takes a stance that certain individuals within it don't agree with than the club is showing total disregard for some of its own.

At the end of the day, who ever's dumb idea this plebiscite was is a downright idiot!
Rather than some point the finger at our club....they should point the finger at those that instigated this mess and don't have the nuts to make a decision....for crying out loud...they get paid enough to make these calls - gutless!! And I'm ashamed and embarrassed that it has come to this as I always thought Australia was more progressive than this - and the world is pointing and laughing. And the cost of it all....ridiculous!!!!
I have my stance, but i don't see what difference my view makes on others...only my vote will make a difference.

**** civility, anybody who votes 'no' is a dickhead. There is no logical reason to deny people rights.

Why did it need to come to this? Why push a non binding (political poll) on the Aus people?????

They have the power already to en act a law ..... that's why we vote. Its got me ****ed, personal preferences aside .... I believe every person has the right to be happy and be equally protected under the law.

Do I personally believe in Same sex marriage? No I don't. But see the first point above, that overrides the second point.

By MILES.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Club just posted this on Facebook:

The Carlton Football Club prides itself on being inclusive, and a leader in engendering equality and a deep sense of belonging.

The issue of 'same sex marriage' is essentially one of equality; and so the Club encourages all of its people to have their say in this important national vote.

As a Club, we respect that this is about personal choice, and as such don't intend to campaign on the issue, but we do strongly reinforce our Club's absolute commitment to equality - and a community that is free from any form of discrimination.

Will this statement, put out by the club change the way you were going to vote?

If your answer is no, I can't see the problem.

The club can say that? The club is not its own entity.
It is made up of many people and representatives of this club have put forward what must clearly be the overwhelming feeling of the whole.

I don't think it could have done it better to raise the awareness and make it stance on equality without telling us what to do.

It should be a reflection on what the club currently stands for and what they want to stand for in the future (the club makes decisions like this all the time). If that includes fundamental human rights like equality, fairness and inclusiveness, then the club should come out and say it supports the 'yes' vote. They have taken a really soft approach.

This quote that I previously posted feels very apt:

"if you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor" Desmond Tutu

This statement sits so uncomfortably with me... It's basically 'we want to stand for 'vote yes' but we don't have the courage to actually say it, because we're unsure of the ramifications if we do' ..

The WBs have been the leaders of progress for some time and they did it very well again re this issue:

It has nothing to do with telling you how to vote. That is a defensive attitude. The club can reveal which side they stand for without telling you how to vote. It's a real disappointing effort and just reinforces how sadly conservative we still are.

I hear you, but in this case, I have no issue with what our club put forward.
I don't know about you but I like to come to my own conclusions and don't need my football club to steer me in any one direction.

The club respects your choice in the vote.
The opposite would be to say that it doesn't and that you should do as they say.

The club reinforces its stance on equality.
The opposite would suggest that the club supports a No vote.

I really think some are reading it wrong as it says everything it needs to without individually expanding on why Gay marriage is either wrong or right.

1GJN7.gif

"if you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor" Desmond Tutu

Are you for real?
Where has it been suggested that the club is ambivalent on the issue?
Does it have to spell every word out for you to read between the lines.

You know what I do when someone tries and forces ignorant and insincere views upon me. I'll go the other way.

It should be a reflection on what the club currently stands for and what they want to stand for in the future (the club makes decisions like this all the time). If that includes fundamental human rights like equality, fairness and inclusiveness, then the club should come out and say it supports the 'yes' vote. They have taken a really soft approach.

This statement sits so uncomfortably with me... It's basically 'we want to stand for 'vote yes' but we don't have the courage to actually say it, because we're unsure of the ramifications if we do' ..

The WBs have been the leaders of progress for some time and they did it very well again re this issue:

I suggest you re read this thread from 1st post to last.

The YES vote is a no brainer for me.

I do wish the footy club would stay away from political issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back