Club that has waited longest to play in a Grand Final

Remove this Banner Ad

After Sydney and Bulldogs, Melbourne and Richmond are now the two older clubs with no flag in decades. Next week there might be just one left in that club. That's all that should matter.
Don't forget the Saints. Their sh*tness deserves to be recognised.

By my calculations and excluding the 2 new clubs we are now (along with Carlton) the club that has gone longest without making a Grand Final. The AFLs equalisation policies have been fairly successful with all clubs reaching the Grand Final in the last 20 years so given that and the cyclical nature of the game hopefully we aren't too many years away from making it again. I am just hoping we don't have to wait as long as Richmond. If so our next GF appearance will be 2034!

Do you have the stat for prelims? What about elimination finals?

At the end of the day no one remembers who came second.
Yep make the GF and lose and you may as well have finished second last in terms of being remembered.
Yes Richmond are 50/50 chance statistically speaking and so are Radelaide, but as we all know statistics mean SFA under these conditions.
They lose and no one remembers, they win and everyone remembers who won the flag and no one remembers or cares who they played.
Close only counts in horseshoes, marbles or lawn bowls, just ask GWS and Josh Kelly..
I disagree. I gleefully remember Collingwood, Saints, Port and Freo losing GF's because of the tears shed. To be honest I can't remember who beat them. I also remember Eagles and Swans coming second because the games were so good.

I disagree. I gleefully remember Collingwood, Saints, Port and Freo losing GF's because of the tears shed. To be honest I can't remember who beat them. I also remember Eagles and Swans coming second because the games were so good.

The Eagle and Swans games were terrible games, they just happened to be close.

There's only one thing you need to worry bout - how many years since a flag.

I don't think any saints / dees fans are going to heap s**t on us for not making a granny the longest
Haven't encountered any Dees/Saints fans lately then?

They also came first in those two games.

Who gives a * about "Grand Final appearances"? We won flags in '96 and '99, and teams with more recent appearances like Melbourne and St Kilda would kill for that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

...back to the original point being that what is being said is that to be in the Grand Final is to play for the Flag.

Same as winning the Preliminary.

Same as other Finals.

Same as making the 8.

Getting to any of these is creditable....but not rewarding, but to fail at any of them is to fail to win what we want....

The Premiership.

End of rant.

Pass the pipe over here when you are done.
20140628_LDP003_0.jpg

By my calculations and excluding the 2 new clubs we are now (along with Carlton) the club that has gone longest without making a Grand Final. The AFLs equalisation policies have been fairly successful with all clubs reaching the Grand Final in the last 20 years so given that and the cyclical nature of the game hopefully we aren't too many years away from making it again. I am just hoping we don't have to wait as long as Richmond. If so our next GF appearance will be 2034!

The post Carey era top ups held the club back for 10 years.

2008-2012, we didn't rebuild fully enough, but still could have very easily made the grand final in 2016 if not for a horrible injury run.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back